CICO : Calorie deficit work just need some validation to keep me motivated

Options
I finally am learning to accept that CICO and creating a calorie deficit = weight loss and that it has nothing to do with hormones, carbs, sugar etc... After examing periods when I was able to lose weight mostly through cutting out carbs (which have a lot less calories then carrots or cucmbers i was substituting them with) I realise it always come down to calories. Which would explain why I was losing weight when I ate a bowl of veggie soup with small bread and butter. Of course I feel better when I eat lots of lean protein and veggies (which i enjoy!) I know in the end as long as I keep a calorie deficit I will lose weight. I am just looking for motivation or people to really drive this point home for me because although I realize this I really want to drill it in my mind so I don`t look for excuses or become susceptible to another fad diet or one of Dr.OZ`s weightloss ideas. I view this as a lifestyle change and see it as something I can really sustain as I am still able to enjoy treats as long as they fit in my calories alloted to me.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Check out the Success Stories section of these forums. There are thousands of posts from people who have started in different places and gone on to reach their goals and beyond.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Keep the big picture in mind. Eat & enjoy life, eat at a calorie deficit, pursue your goals, stay away from Dr. Oz!! All of your favorite foods can fit. That's great news. Exercise helps with earning more calories - more good news. And, best news of all - it works.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This isn't specific, but I suppose just think about the decades of research we have for it. Fad diets come and go, but scientists have been running studies on calorie deficits for years and years - and we always see similar results, that it works. Even studies where they compare certain styles of dieting, while the "rate of weight loss" maybe be different, eating at a deficit always results in weight loss.

The success stories in this forum are nice too, like Sue says. I'd be careful watching youtube videos of crazy weight loss because I find it's mostly people either trying to sell you something, trying to convince you to do x, or both.
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I find it extremely helpful to read the success stories - most follow the simple concept of eating at a deficit. I have lost 15 lbs since January and I can honestly say I have not once felt deprived because I am realizing that I don't want to give up any food - the idea of adjusting how much I eat is a lot more appealing than "I will never eat X,Y,Z"

Today I had planned out my day and was planning on having ice cream for dessert BUT decided I rather have French fries for lunch (as part of my lunch not just French fries LOL) than the ice cream tonight. Never in a million years would I have thought that I was going to be successful by allowing myself to enjoy the foods I like and trusting myself to only eat what the serving size says.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Check out the Success Stories section of these forums. There are thousands of posts from people who have started in different places and gone on to reach their goals and beyond.

Really good idea!

Sounds like you are on the right track, OP.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Regardless of program, NONE would work without a calorie deficit.

Well, no program that doesn't include PED's and other hormones anyway.

CICO is essential to weight loss/gain/maintenance. How one goes about it is preference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find the doing it to be its own reward and motivation. I too have tried everything under the sun to the point where I didn't know what to eat so I stopped trying. This has been so freeing.
  • TheJenProject
    TheJenProject Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement! I`ll definitely check out those success stories! :)
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    stay away from Dr. Oz!!

Amen, sister! That guy is full of it, a shyster if ever there were one. I caught him late one night on an informercial where all he did was advertise his worthless crap and charge a high price for it. I disregard anything that has Dr. Oz anywhere near it.