• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    bregalad5 wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    OK I didn't exactly mean that to sound snarky but it kinda came out that way.

My (perhaps slightly douchebaggy) opinion: completion of a short distance race is not an accomplishment. Completion of a long distance race in a ridiculously long amount of time is also not really that great of an accomplishment. I will use my experience in running and triathlon as an example.

An out of shape person can train themselves up to a 5k distance using the C25K program. Is that cool? Absolutely. Should that person feel proud that they "completed" a 5k at the end of the program? Sure. But remember that this is a race. The goal is to go faster. If your "main accomplishment" is to cover the distance, well, that is kinda lame. If your goal is to use it as a stepping stone for longer distances, ok. But the real point of a 5k is to race it. That is why it is called a race. It *should* not be some massive undertaking to cover the distance for any able-bodied adult human. Once you do it, give yourself a pat on the back but realize the work isn't done. Pick a time goal (you can compete with yourself if you like) and beat it. Then do it again. Set PRs. I would guess the same thing happens in the OCRs. Just about anybody that has all of their limbs intact *can* complete it, trained or not. That is *not* the point of the event though.

This is just... ugh. I'm 250 pounds with fibromyalgia and dislocating kneecaps. What's a "ridiculously long time" for you may very well be my PR. It's attitudes like this that make me ashamed and afraid to sign up for runs and triathlons because I know I'll cross the finish line of a 5k at 45 minutes or a triathlon at 2:15:00. If you see someone hobbling along, encourage them. They may have trained hard but have a physical problem that will never allow them to go much faster.

Hopping off my soapbox now... well, stepping off it so I don't dislocate my kneecaps since I'm not wearing my braces at the moment.

Regardless, in none of the races I've ever done have I heard or seen someone mocking or discouraging someone slower than them.

No, they go to a public forum and post about how they look down on them instead. Because pointing at them in public would be *rude*.

ETA: I did a half marathon last year. Around the 9 mile mark, I passed a teenager who was wearing a shirt that said "if you're behind me, you didn't train either". I trained my butt off for that run. I'm just still fat, and will probably always be slow. That doesn't mean I don't try.

I guess I'm missing your point. glevinso said some things you didn't like... you trained your butt off for a HM and passed some kid with a funny tshirt, so... :confused:
  • Never_Quit32
    Never_Quit32 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is up my ally. I am surprised I have not seriously hurt myself, and I am in so much pain afterwards for days, I always regret. It's 90% mental. I am in alright overall shape and was able to run all of Tough Mudder and complete everything but I just get in this mindsight and just go. As for Spartan Race where the obstacles are harder, I have had to take burpees for falling off the rope.

I understand the point of this, they have the fun courses Warrior Dash and Gladiator Rock and Roll runs, but I will have to agree with Spartan Race that is an actual timed event for yourself, you shouldn't go out without training as I have learned the hard way.

But respect the ones that at least sign up and show up and try, they're doing more then the ones on the couch who bought the shirt.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I did one of those races an I would guess that most people at the race assumed I didn't train before hand. I was over 200 pounds...I had not yet been diagnosed as having a hormone disorder. I did train though...a lot. I was running every day, lifting weights, doing HIIT and eating less than 1200 calories. During the race there was only one obstacle I skipped. I was damn proud of myself. Here I was...almost 220 pounds and I ran up and down hills (it took place at a ski hill), I completed all but one obstacle and I was not the last to finish! I worked hard and pushed myself to accomplish what most people said I couldn't.

I think that's entirely different. Basically, I agree with what barbecuesauce said.

Remember, I was talking about people who don't bother training for a Tough Mudder (or a Spartan race, or whatever). Those people are asking for trouble. It also makes it more difficult for others to take pride in finishing when some other guy declares, "So what? I didn't train and I hardly ever exercise, but I finished anyway." feel that this goes against the spirit of the event.

I feel differently about people who are out of shape, and who do train rigorously with the goal of finishing, knowing that this would be an accomplishment for themselves. I strongly advise against it, as the potential for injury is pretty high. However, while I think that their actions are unwise, I have to respect the fact that they did make a vigorous attempt at preparing themselves physically.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    OTOH perhaps that person who did not do all of it is coming from a place where they at one time could not do any of it.

Who are you to judge another person? Personally I don't see tough mudder as some huge achievement to knock off of a bucket list. I personally don't see those events as any sort of fun idea or thing that I would sigh n up for. So when I see someone who approaches an event like that with a great attitude and the guts to try even when they know that some of the "in shape" people are going to be mocking them, I have to say ,"good for them".

If you see such people as cheapening "your" event. Well that's really about you. Might be worth considering why you feel that way and what it says about you.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Glevinso- I totally get what you're saying... However, I would have to respectfully disagree. I am a runner who has done multiple road races (5k- half marathons) and multiple OCRs. I race, but I do not set a time goal or try for a PR. If I happen to make one that's even better. But to me racing is about challenging yourself to push to your limits and join in on the comraderie and community that is running and OCR.

This is how I feel. I've picked up a few medals in races, but I do them for the charity and to spend time with my family members who also run. I run for personal sanity, cardio health, the ability to eat more, and the enjoyment of just moving the body. When I was running with a goal to win something or make a new PR, it stopped being fun to me. It was just added pressure and stress. I have enough pressure and stress already. ;)
  • spartan_d
    Options
    It's not just the event itself, it's the preparation as well. Tough Mudder itself emphasizes that, which is why they offer recommended training programs and advise that you should be able to run for at least six miles if you want to tackle this challenge. I have a hard time accepting that someone who just shows up without any preparation has a "great attitude" about the event. It certainly doesn't seem to be in keeping with its spirit.

As I said though, that is entirely different from people who aren't in very good shape, but who do work hard to prepare and set its completion as a personal goal. While I don't consider this to be advisable, I do have to salute these folks for their determination.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Interesting.

I didn't do the electric shock obstacle at my tough mudder. Guesss this mean that in spite of slogging through 10+ miles of mud, freezing water, death marches, and various ridicliousness in the Southern California heat I didn't actually do it, better luck next time.

Where I still won't do it. Because not doing it.

Which I guess means I should just stop now since it'll never count.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. Its a mud run. Why get your panties in a twist that people aren't taking a mud run seriously enough? I mean, if you don't train and do something stupid, well HA! You're stupid. But why does that affect me? Say i win a 5k. Does it mean less to me because someone didn't train and walked in the back? Nope. They gonna get some side-eye if they come up to me and start bragging about how they run 5ks, but that's about it.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This is silly. I am not a runner. I'm a cyclist. I do play pickup soccer and have been a lifetime athlete (soccer, volleyball, fencing). I refuse to comply to your "standards".

I did a Spartan Beast, about 12 km. I didn't do crossfit, or lifted milk crates, or did 1,000 burpees in training. I failed at some obstacles like the rings and the monkey bars. And I succeeded at stuff like the rope pull, ammo carry, spear throw, triceps crossing, and so on. And I finished in the top 95th percentile, because the thing is so damned long and included so much climbing that my cardio fitness trumped the crossfitter's. So it is when you have 500+ m of altitude gain.

And you know what? I still cheered every single person I passed. They were all trying. You speak of tenacity like it was worthless. More power to them. I hope they were having fun and managed their effort to avoid injury.

As for "racing" - 99.5% of you guys are kidding yourselves if you think you'd win an elite race on foot, anything from 100m to a marathon to a Spartan race. Our true aspiration is to be better than we were yesterday. And there's nothing wrong with that except when you belittle others doing the exact same thing you are doing. Now, if you're a pro-mudder (or pro-Spartan, or Pro-adventure racer, that's another thing. But I doubt it because those guys know that their entrance money depends on the common couch joe or jane giving it a go and signing up :).
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Those who complete have done better than those who don't and those who don't still do better than those who never got their butt off the couch. Means nothing to me if someone doesn't go through it all. Guess because I have knee issues and it took me over 14 hours to complete the Rachel Carson Challenge last year, it doesn't count because I couldn't stay with the ones who completed it in 7 hours. Honestly don't care about that - I did it for myself, and talked with a lot of people that day that were doing it for the same reason - to complete and challenge themselves. That is what it should be about in the long run - competing against yourself and your goals. If you want to compete against others, feel free.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't see it much as an issue. People challenge themselves up to and beyond what they normally do in their day to day. Heck, I'll be completing my third this year and I'm no Olympic athlete.

And while there is some risk, most injuries seen are minor. Personally, I've done things which I consider significantly riskier.

In the last event, one of our teammates was woefully underprepared. The result was that she slowed us down a lot, had to skip whole sections and, yes, injured herself. But she hobbled with good attitude to the end. Did it cheapen the event for me in anyway - nope, she's aware of her limitations and doesn't come close to my level. Just like I don't come close to any of the event leaders. If you feel general participation cheapens the event then this isn't the one for you. Stick to Spartans or playing survivor in the woods. TM are about teammate spirit and not leaving anyone behind. It is awesome to help others and be helped.

TM isn't a race. It isn't timed, your number is for photo-op not to win a doohickey.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This seems like a case of you focus on you and let other people focus on themselves. An untrained person participating in a Tough Mudder should not detract from its significance to you. If it does, then that is because you are choosing to let it. Your life will be easier and more enjoyable if you mind your own business.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked Tough Mudder is not a race, it is not timed and they focus heavily on team work and helping your fellow Mudder regardless of ability. These events don't have to be hard physically, for some the challenge is mental.

If you want a race / to compete, sign up for that - something where they have heats for those specifically trying to achieve a best time. (Spartan Elite Heats as an example)

If someone else, who has not trained for the event you are also participating in, has "cheapened" the experience for you - you are clearly focusing on the wrong person on the course.

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    BWHAHAHAHAHA

I know a girl that did it 5 months pregnant.

But hey, if you want to as the poster above mentioned "get your panties in a wad" over it have at it. There are way more important things in the world to worry about though.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself, they are skipping the most challenging obstacles and deep inside know they didn't make it. But they are out there, which I am so happy to see. You and I don't know their story. We see generally untrained individuals, but they may very well have dropped 60 lbs in preparation and from a 320 to a 260 are feeling quite spry.

I imagine there are quite a few people wondering what I'm doing out there. I'm obviously not a long distance runner and I'm obviously not built to climb. None of the events require someone to deadlift anything, so each event is a thorough challenge for me. I'm a high challenge guy, so I keep signing up for them. Sludge through and am happy to drink a beer or four at the finish.

This^
    I just signed up for Foamfest and I don't plan on doing any "obstacle" training. But I'm going to do it, hopefully finish it without injury!
  • spartan_d
    Options
    I just don't get it. Its a mud run. Why get your panties in a twist that people aren't taking a mud run seriously enough? I mean, if you don't train and do something stupid, well HA! You're stupid. But why does that affect me? Say i win a 5k. Does it mean less to me because someone didn't train and walked in the back? Nope. They gonna get some side-eye if they come up to me and start bragging about how they run 5ks, but that's about it.
    See, that last part is exactly what I'm talking about. When these untrained people dismiss Tough Mudder-like events by saying "I didn't prepare at all and I finished anyway," I'm likely to give them the same kind of side-eye that you're talking about.

I get that it's not a race, which is why I personally made no mention of finishing time. It's also why I give props to the guys who do train hard and tackle these challenges, even if they aren't in great shape. Treating it as though it's something that anyone can get up off the couch and do, however, doesn't fit the spirit of the event -- certainly not in the manner that the organizers try to promote. It's also unsafe and encourages other people to attempt these challenges without preparation.

I don't say the same thing about family-style 5Ks, for example, where people will often finish in a leisurely stroll. Those are sold on an entirely different basis, and the potential for injury is virtually nil.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    See, that last part is exactly what I'm talking about. When these untrained people dismiss Tough Mudder-like events by saying "I didn't prepare at all and I finished anyway," I'm likely to give them the same kind of side-eye that you're talking about.

I get that it's not a race, which is why I personally made no mention of finishing time. It's also why I give props to the guys who do train hard and tackle these challenges, even if they aren't in great shape. Treating it as though it's something that anyone can get up off the couch and do, however, doesn't fit the spirit of the event -- certainly not in the manner that the organizers try to promote. It's also unsafe and encourages other people to attempt these challenges without preparation.

I don't say the same thing about family-style 5Ks, for example, where people will often finish in a leisurely stroll. Those are sold on an entirely different basis, and the potential for injury is virtually nil.

I can see this. If someone says "I love racing half marathons" but it turns out all they do is run/walk without an eye towards time, well then they get side eye because they aren't racing. But that's me thinking that words mean specific things.

I also don't think that someone who decides on a lark that they are going to run an untrained marathon and comes in near 6 hours (a thing that happens often enough on MFP that I'm starting to think that 5:45-6:00 is just the time it takes an untrained human to cover 26.2 miles) should be bragging about their marathon expertise.

But it doesn't cheapen my experience. Its just dumb. It certainly doesn't bother me enough to start a thread about it.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm signing up for the Mudathalon in Cincinnati, OH on August 1st, and I'm not doing it for anything other than to test myself while not giving a single care to time. Although, I am going to be "training" for it in that I intend to keep working on my cardio, and then jump into weights when my shoulder heals, I am absolutely positive that I will be very slow.

But, I guess that I shouldn't even try, eh?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself, they are skipping the most challenging obstacles and deep inside know they didn't make it. But they are out there, which I am so happy to see. You and I don't know their story. We see generally untrained individuals, but they may very well have dropped 60 lbs in preparation and from a 320 to a 260 are feeling quite spry.

I imagine there are quite a few people wondering what I'm doing out there. I'm obviously not a long distance runner and I'm obviously not built to climb. None of the events require someone to deadlift anything, so each event is a thorough challenge for me. I'm a high challenge guy, so I keep signing up for them. Sludge through and am happy to drink a beer or four at the finish.

This^
    I just signed up for Foamfest and I don't plan on doing any "obstacle" training. But I'm going to do it, hopefully finish it without injury!

You're not going to practice running through bubbles?