Losing weight with Hashimotos thyroiditis?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Azulvioleta, Hashimoto's IS primary hypothyroidism.

Not according to my endocrinologist and neuroendocrinologist, but of whom list them as separate diagnoses.

What was the cause of the primary hypothyroidism diagnosis?
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Just bumping this post so I can send all you Hypo & Hashi people a friend request..... Meanwhile.... I sooooo agree about the correct meds! It is really very difficult to find a doctor who will look more deeply into the results of our blood tests. You can be in so-called "normal" range and still feel like CRAP! And, my life really changed when I added cytomel - the brain fog is finally gone.... But one of my side effects has been fibromyalgia and that is what is preventing me from losing the weight I put on since the onset of symptoms.

But - this is only temporary! We can recover!!!
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have Hashi's and am on steroids for another disease...once I cut out grains and dairy the weight started sliding off :)
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who shares this info - I've just been diagnosed with a mild case and working through getting the right medication dosage
  • gash14
    Options
    Check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Hashimotos-Thyroiditis-Lifestyle-Interventions-Treating/dp/0615825796

There are TONS of success stories including the author's who have healed their Hashis!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    gash14 wrote: »
    Check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Hashimotos-Thyroiditis-Lifestyle-Interventions-Treating/dp/0615825796

There are TONS of success stories including the author's who have healed their Hashis!

How can you heal Hashi's? It's an autoimmune disease.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you're finding it difficult to lose weight, there are two areas you need to examine.

First, make sure that you're on the right dose of thyroid medication. Every person with Hashi's has a sweet spot they need to be corrected to. You might be testing within normal range, but still not be corrected enough. Are you still having any symptoms like fatigue or dry skin? I'll give an example. I could test to 2.8, which is normal, but I'd feel terrible. I don't feel well until I'm on a dose that corrects me to the point where I test to around 1.2 or lower.

The second place to look when you're not losing is how you're going about losing weight. Are you logging everything you eat? Are you using a food scale? Weighing all your solid foods? Measuring all your liquids? Are you selecting the correct data base entries when you log your foods? Are you verifying them through an independent website like the USDA or nutritiondata.self.com?

How about exercise? Are you logging that? Are you eating back all of your exercise calories? What method are you using to measure your exercise burns? A lot of times those burns can be exaggerated and eating all of those calories back can result in eating too many calories to lose weight effectively.

A person with Hashimoto's can lose weight just fine if they are properly medicated and creating a calorie deficit.

Good response. I was maintaining at 1800 which should have been a pretty big deficit for my age and weight. I got my lab results and I was in the normal range for all my values (lower end of the range for FT3 and FT4). I increases my meds (I'm on levothyroxine, armour, and liothyronine) once my values were just slightly better I started losing 4-5 pounds a week. I had to up my calories to keep that down. Getting your dosing right is crucial. Also the right medications will make a difference. Some people like me need to supplement T3 or things just aren't right.
  • Lynz_Bruce
    Lynz_Bruce Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "It's interesting you said that native americans are more likely to have thyroid issues. I am 25% comanche and 12.5% arapaho.

Is this a legitimate correlation?[/quote]"

Rainbowbow, my endocrinologist told me native Americans/ Alaskan natives are more prone to thyroid problems. There are articles and research on this subject. And my Grandmother who is full native (she was born and raised on the Kiowa reservation in Mountain View, Oklahoma) told me it tends to run in the family. I'm not saying that everyone who is native or has a certain amount will get thyroid problems.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Another Hashimoto peep, here. I'm sixty, properly medicated and am losing weight just fine. :)
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Jeneba wrote: »
    Just bumping this post so I can send all you Hypo & Hashi people a friend request..... Meanwhile.... I sooooo agree about the correct meds! It is really very difficult to find a doctor who will look more deeply into the results of our blood tests. You can be in so-called "normal" range and still feel like CRAP! And, my life really changed when I added cytomel - the brain fog is finally gone.... But one of my side effects has been fibromyalgia and that is what is preventing me from losing the weight I put on since the onset of symptoms.

But - this is only temporary! We can recover!!!

I went to 3 endocrinologists before I found one that would actually consider a medication besides synthroid. I finally found one who cares about how I feel more than what my TSH values are. Unfortunately I have to pay out of pocket to see him, but well worth it to me since the others were no help, even if covered by insurance.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    emklsu wrote: »
    Try going gluten free. Gluten intolerance/sensitivity and Hashi's can be correlated. No matter how few calories I get and how much I exercise, I cannot lose weight if I'm eating gluten (plus, my thyroid swells to a goiter and I feel like crap.). I'm on Armour and the combo of that and gluten free finally has me losing weight like I used to be able to.

Supposedly, gluten has a similar structure to the thyroid, which is attacked when you have Hashi's. So gluten makes your body think there's more thyroid tissue that needs to be attacked and it ups the autoimmune response.

Gluten might trigger more antibodies, but removing gluten will not cure or heal the disease or your thyroid gland. If your thyroid is damaged, you'll need medication for life.

• Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lynz_Bruce wrote: »
    Does anyone on here have hashimotos diease?

" Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease in which the thyroid gland is attacked by a variety of cell- and antibody-mediated immune processes, causing primary hypothyroidism"

I find it very difficult to loose weight because of this, even with a healthy diet and lots of exercise. I take medication (synthroid) but it doesn't seem to help with my metabolism. I guess my question is- if anyone has this, what are you doing to loose weight? What's your advice?
    I have seen this book and am interested in buying it, although I don't have autoimmune disease as far as I know. I find this to be an interesting subject.
    Here's the link
    http://www.amazon.com/Autoimmune-Solution-Spectrum-Inflammatory-Symptoms/dp/0062347470/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429218126&sr=1-3&keywords=healing+autoimmune+diseases

This is an MD who found that so many of her patients were coming in with autoimmune diseases, that she turned her attention to it, and is healing her patients naturally!
  • Icoza87
    Icoza87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is not weight loss related... I'm very newly diagnosed hypo (2 months ago)... and I just got another test back .. Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody at 234 (range <35) which my googling tells me is an indicator of Hashis... So far I've only seen my regular doc... do you guys suggest I look at seeing an endocrinologist? She never mentioned anything about it, but so far she's only talked about getting my TSH into the "normal" range (.4 - 4) I'm down to 6.04 from 10.81 and not feeling much different. She just bumped me from 100mcg of levo to 112mcg.
  • gash14
    Options

*Almost* all diseases can be healed, obviously there are some that aren't. However those that can be are all related to nutrient deficiencies. Check out that Hashi's book and check out Dr. Wahl who cured her progressive MS...she went from a wheelchair and braces to riding a bike and being active within one year of dramatically changing her diet.

Since adopting a healthier lifestyle my anti-bodies have dramatically decreased, I'm at the lowest dose of thyroid meds I've been on my entire life (I've had Hashi's for 22 years now) and my other "autoimmune diseases" have improved dramatically as well.
  • gash14
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "It's interesting you said that native americans are more likely to have thyroid issues. I am 25% comanche and 12.5% arapaho.

Is this a legitimate correlation?
    "

It's probably a generalization of all of us who live on US soils, consume the US diet, etc... US citizens are among the sickest of the world...diabetes, BMI, heart disease, etc...
  • galgenstrick
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Icoza87 wrote: »
    This is not weight loss related... I'm very newly diagnosed hypo (2 months ago)... and I just got another test back .. Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody at 234 (range <35) which my googling tells me is an indicator of Hashis... So far I've only seen my regular doc... do you guys suggest I look at seeing an endocrinologist? She never mentioned anything about it, but so far she's only talked about getting my TSH into the "normal" range (.4 - 4) I'm down to 6.04 from 10.81 and not feeling much different. She just bumped me from 100mcg of levo to 112mcg.

See an endocrinologist. A general practitioner who only is looking at TSH is worthless. Make sure you get a serum test for TSH, free T3, Free T4, Total T3 and 25-hydroxyvitamin. If your TPO antibodies are high, there's no reason to retest those. You should be testing all of those values every few months.
  • gash14
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have seen this book and am interested in buying it, although I don't have autoimmune disease as far as I know. I find this to be an interesting subject.
    Here's the link
    http://www.amazon.com/Autoimmune-Solution-Spectrum-Inflammatory-Symptoms/dp/0062347470/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429218126&sr=1-3&keywords=healing+autoimmune+diseases

This is an MD who found that so many of her patients were coming in with autoimmune diseases, that she turned her attention to it, and is healing her patients naturally!

I'll have to check that book out! That's awesome she's healing her patients!

Check out this book too: http://www.amazon.com/Hashimotos-Thyroiditis-Lifestyle-Interventions-Treating/dp/0615825796

It's by a pharmacist and doc who cured her Hashi's via diet and supplementation!

:smiley:
  • Lynz_Bruce
    Lynz_Bruce Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think I just need to visit my endocrinologist again. It's difficult when you're in a different state for school. That and my Tri Care likes to change providers on me. And could anti-depressants possibly interfere with my synthroid? I take my synthroid before and wait usually an hour before taking my other medication.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Does anyone on here have hashimotos diease?

" Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease in which the thyroid gland is attacked by a variety of cell- and antibody-mediated immune processes, causing primary hypothyroidism"

I find it very difficult to loose weight because of this, even with a healthy diet and lots of exercise. I take medication (synthroid) but it doesn't seem to help with my metabolism. I guess my question is- if anyone has this, what are you doing to loose weight? What's your advice?
    Here's the link

An MD who calls foods "toxic" and is endorsed by Hyman. Yeah... no.

There's a lot of quackery on the web about "healing" autoimmune conditions. I did some reading on "healing" Hashimotos. Apparently the key is giving up gluten.

I haven't had gluten in 18 years. I also went through phases of not eating diary and eating Paleo. Long phases.

Still have Hashi's.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

*Almost* all diseases can be healed, obviously there are some that aren't. However those that can be are all related to nutrient deficiencies. Check out that Hashi's book and check out Dr. Wahl who cured her progressive MS...she went from a wheelchair and braces to riding a bike and being active within one year of dramatically changing her diet.

Since adopting a healthier lifestyle my anti-bodies have dramatically decreased, I'm at the lowest dose of thyroid meds I've been on my entire life (I've had Hashi's for 22 years now) and my other "autoimmune diseases" have improved dramatically as well.

Improvement isn't a cure, and a decrease in antibodies isn't an elimination of them.

Hashi's runs hot and cold anyway.

As I mentioned in my last post, minus the supplementation protocol that they recommend (since I don't know what it is), I was gluten free, eating just meat, eggs, and veggies... no dairy... for a few years.

I still have Hashi's. And celiac disease. And psoriatic arthritis.

It's good that the protocol worked for Dr. Wahl. It's not a universal fix, though.