People who do a Tough Mudder without training

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    For me, it's less about the person than it is the mindset. Events like TM are about the team, comradarie, and simply finishing. I know what to expect from events like those, and I don't care how untrained the person is. Races (events where finishing time matters, or events like TM that you treat as a race), people should train for. If you're racing, act like it. If your not racing, then that's fine, but get the hell out of my way.

Having done some of these types of events, I would also add that I really view them as "fun" events vs. going out and really trying to be competitive, etc. I've seen people walk courses and skip obstacles, etc...it doesn't really bother me because I don't view it as a truly competitive event I guess. I'm mostly there for the fun (and beer tent)...and I like the challenge too, but really you can dictate how challenging you want to make it for yourself.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The only person who should be affected by not training is the person who didn't train. If they're miserable, it's their fault.

We certainly can't assume someone who skips an obstacle or is slower than the pack didn't train or put effort in.

We do these races for ourselves for whatever reason at whatever pace. We can't judge the person next to, in front of or behind us because we're all there, doing it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself, they are skipping the most challenging obstacles and deep inside know they didn't make it. But they are out there, which I am so happy to see. You and I don't know their story. We see generally untrained individuals, but they may very well have dropped 60 lbs in preparation and from a 320 to a 260 are feeling quite spry.

I imagine there are quite a few people wondering what I'm doing out there. I'm obviously not a long distance runner and I'm obviously not built to climb. None of the events require someone to deadlift anything, so each event is a thorough challenge for me. I'm a high challenge guy, so I keep signing up for them. Sludge through and am happy to drink a beer or four at the finish.

This^
    I just signed up for Foamfest and I don't plan on doing any "obstacle" training. But I'm going to do it, hopefully finish it without injury!

you'll be fine. Foamfest doesn't require any training. If you're able to walk 5k, you're good. Enjoy - Foamfest is a lot of fun!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    OK I didn't exactly mean that to sound snarky but it kinda came out that way.

My (perhaps slightly douchebaggy) opinion: completion of a short distance race is not an accomplishment. Completion of a long distance race in a ridiculously long amount of time is also not really that great of an accomplishment. I will use my experience in running and triathlon as an example.

An out of shape person can train themselves up to a 5k distance using the C25K program. Is that cool? Absolutely. Should that person feel proud that they "completed" a 5k at the end of the program? Sure. But remember that this is a race. The goal is to go faster. If your "main accomplishment" is to cover the distance, well, that is kinda lame. If your goal is to use it as a stepping stone for longer distances, ok. But the real point of a 5k is to race it. That is why it is called a race. It *should* not be some massive undertaking to cover the distance for any able-bodied adult human. Once you do it, give yourself a pat on the back but realize the work isn't done. Pick a time goal (you can compete with yourself if you like) and beat it. Then do it again. Set PRs. I would guess the same thing happens in the OCRs. Just about anybody that has all of their limbs intact *can* complete it, trained or not. That is *not* the point of the event though.
    ^ This.

I could not imagine stepping up to any starting line thinking I don't care about time, I just want to finish. Instead, I'm looking around at all the people that I'm going to beat during the race.
    But... maybe I'm hyper-competitive. If I'm out for a jog around a lake and someone is running in the same direction as me, it's a race. It doesn't matter if they know it or not. I will catch and pass them. That's my motivation when training. Pick a person, pass them. Pick another, pass them. Wash, rinse, repeat. That mentality led me to win my heat at last year's warrior dash (5k OCR).
    Of course, the person I'm most competitive with is myself. I always want to do a little bit better than I did before.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm signing up for the Mudathalon in Cincinnati, OH on August 1st, and I'm not doing it for anything other than to test myself while not giving a single care to time. Although, I am going to be "training" for it in that I intend to keep working on my cardio, and then jump into weights when my shoulder heals, I am absolutely positive that I will be very slow.

But, I guess that I shouldn't even try, eh?

I won't try one because of my shoulder...but not because I'd be slow :)

I don't care what some douchebro thinks of me getting out and having some fun with an obstacle course.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    And let me put this out there. The only people cheapening the event are those that say it doesn't count because I didn't finish in x time or because I skipped (extra) Everest and any other obstacles I might have chosen to.

What next? Does my bike ride not count because I didn't sustain Tour de France power levels?
    I've personally rode up Iseran, I didn't do it in under 2 hrs. Fail?
    Climbed Mönch but used the southeast ridge. fail?
    Used a guide for Chadar ice walk. Fail?
    Didn't use a single speed for RAGBRAI. Fail?

I'll gladly take my fraud badge. I had fun with my friends.

<come at me bro meme goes here>
  • oOTeresaOo
    oOTeresaOo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ive done two TM's (Patterson and Tahoe). Im overweight, I run and lift but didnt train specifically for these. I skipped 'walk the plank' cus I cannot swim and i will not risk drowning. I did the monkey bars but fell in half way not knowing how deep it was (it was deep, i freaked!) so I skipped that the second time around. Doesn't mean i didnt deserve to be there and it sure as hell doesnt mean I didnt try my hardest. As for my team mates, it did bother me that they didnt even attempt to get in shape for the event. It held some of us back by waitin for them. But like somone else said, its not a race. we got through it together, although i'll never do it with them again :) Also, just because I didnt finish it in 2.5 hours doesnt mean it doesnt count. I had the bruises to prove it!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I could not imagine stepping up to any starting line thinking I don't care about time, I just want to finish. Instead, I'm looking around at all the people that I'm going to beat during the race.
    But... maybe I'm hyper-competitive. If I'm out for a jog around a lake and someone is running in the same direction as me, it's a race. It doesn't matter if they know it or not. I will catch and pass them. That's my motivation when training. Pick a person, pass them. Pick another, pass them. Wash, rinse, repeat. That mentality led me to win my heat at last year's warrior dash (5k OCR).
    Of course, the person I'm most competitive with is myself. I always want to do a little bit better than I did before.

The only thing passing me did was allow you to get to the beer tent before me. As long as they don't run out of beer before I get there, I don't care.

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

The only thing passing me did was allow you to get to the beer tent before me. As long as they don't run out of beer before I get there, I don't care.

I don't even want the beer. But there'd damn well better be cold water available.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have a coworker that did Tough Mudder last weekend, all he did to train for it was work on the elliptical a bit here and there, while the other guys doing it were talking about how they were working on lifting and running and setting up obstacles. On Monday he was talking about how he barely crossed the line and near had to be carried. I hope he learned his lesson, but I'm not holding my breath. I didn't go and I learned a lesson, don't team up with people you don't know are going to put in the effort. I give him an A for effort and getting out there and doing it, and I hope that he got some enjoyment out of it all the same.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm signing up for the Mudathalon in Cincinnati, OH on August 1st, and I'm not doing it for anything other than to test myself while not giving a single care to time. Although, I am going to be "training" for it in that I intend to keep working on my cardio, and then jump into weights when my shoulder heals, I am absolutely positive that I will be very slow.

But, I guess that I shouldn't even try, eh?

In my book, you deserve props for doing it! You're working on cardio and on your strength, presumably to the best of your ability. As long as you keep an eye on safety, you deserve a high five.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options

Well... I do get pretty thirsty after a race...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I get how finishing something on "sheer tenacity" is a negative.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I have a coworker that did Tough Mudder last weekend, all he did to train for it was work on the elliptical a bit here and there, while the other guys doing it were talking about how they were working on lifting and running and setting up obstacles. On Monday he was talking about how he barely crossed the line and near had to be carried. I hope he learned his lesson, but I'm not holding my breath. I didn't go and I learned a lesson, don't team up with people you don't know are going to put in the effort. I give him an A for effort and getting out there and doing it, and I hope that he got some enjoyment out of it all the same.

I don't understand this post at all. The person you're talking about did it - you didn't - I'm not really sure he's the one that needs to be learning a lesson here....?

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I wondered how this thread was going to go. I'm proud of anyone who attempts a tough mudder type of event. I did mudderella last year and there were lots of people on the course that I worried about crossing the finish line on their feet. I won't do the tough mudder myself because there's an obstacle where water and electricity mix...........ummm hello! I hear it's low voltage but seriously I'm not willing to chance it. For me personally if I can't complete every obstacle then I didn't complete the event. That doesn't mean I failed if I only got half way across the monkey bars, it means I have to work harder for the next time. I'm talking skipping an obstacle, to me that means you did not "complete" the course.

I don't believe that runners need to set times to beat, that's a personal choice. I personally enjoy the fact that I can run at all, I strive to increase my distance but I don't care how long it takes me to get there I just like to keep a steady pace. I have friends that love to be first and that's fine, we agree to disagree and cheer each other on as friends should.

My honest opinion is that if you sign up for an event and don't train (no matter what the event is) then you're asking for an injury.

I didn't. I had no doubt.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    People do these races for different reasons. Who are you to decide if their reasons are the right ones?

I don't think it's wise to go in cold, because of fear of injury, but that's their choice, not mine. I don't need to compare myself to them.

As many have said, TM is not timed, it's about camaraderie, team work, and overcoming obstacles / fears. Some people are terrified of heights - they may appear out of shape as they climb that cargo net to get to the top, but rather they're shaking inside because they're going higher than they've ever gone before. I know people who had to fight every demon they had to get to the top. And while others got mad at them for taking too long, I clap for them for the sheer mental fortitude it took to get to the top, and then actually jump.

You cannot look at a single person and know the struggles they're overcoming, and with that knowledge, I choose to focus ONLY on me.

Could I run a TM cold? Yeah, I probably could. I could probably do it pretty well.
    Do I want to? NO! I am training however and whenever I can, with the intent and desire to do the best I possibly can. THAT is my motivation, and that is the only one I'm concerned with.

When I get that orange headband, I will be proud of myself because I will know I pushed my hardest and did my best.

And as for the ones who run it unprepared... well, they may have done it, but it probably cost them some emotional and mental effort as well, and therefore I congratulate them too.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My daughter did a tough mudder in Austin and she was so scared because she is not an athlete. She walks each day but that is it. She completed more obstacles than her husband who lifts and runs marathons. He is afraid of heights so he skipped four obstacles and she skipped one. She fell into a cactus bush on the very first obstacle and still finished. She was so proud of herself. Tough Mudder is for anyone that is brave enough to try.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    OK I didn't exactly mean that to sound snarky but it kinda came out that way.

My (perhaps slightly douchebaggy) opinion: completion of a short distance race is not an accomplishment. Completion of a long distance race in a ridiculously long amount of time is also not really that great of an accomplishment. I will use my experience in running and triathlon as an example.

An out of shape person can train themselves up to a 5k distance using the C25K program. Is that cool? Absolutely. Should that person feel proud that they "completed" a 5k at the end of the program? Sure. But remember that this is a race. The goal is to go faster. If your "main accomplishment" is to cover the distance, well, that is kinda lame. If your goal is to use it as a stepping stone for longer distances, ok. But the real point of a 5k is to race it. That is why it is called a race. It *should* not be some massive undertaking to cover the distance for any able-bodied adult human. Once you do it, give yourself a pat on the back but realize the work isn't done. Pick a time goal (you can compete with yourself if you like) and beat it. Then do it again. Set PRs. I would guess the same thing happens in the OCRs. Just about anybody that has all of their limbs intact *can* complete it, trained or not. That is *not* the point of the event though.

Wow! I totally agree with you. It is a really douchebaggy opinion.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    tycho_mx wrote: »
    This is silly. I am not a runner. I'm a cyclist. I do play pickup soccer and have been a lifetime athlete (soccer, volleyball, fencing). I refuse to comply to your "standards".

I did a Spartan Beast, about 12 km. I didn't do crossfit, or lifted milk crates, or did 1,000 burpees in training. I failed at some obstacles like the rings and the monkey bars. And I succeeded at stuff like the rope pull, ammo carry, spear throw, triceps crossing, and so on. And I finished in the top 95th percentile, because the thing is so damned long and included so much climbing that my cardio fitness trumped the crossfitter's. So it is when you have 500+ m of altitude gain.

And you know what? I still cheered every single person I passed. They were all trying. You speak of tenacity like it was worthless. More power to them. I hope they were having fun and managed their effort to avoid injury.

As for "racing" - 99.5% of you guys are kidding yourselves if you think you'd win an elite race on foot, anything from 100m to a marathon to a Spartan race. Our true aspiration is to be better than we were yesterday. And there's nothing wrong with that except when you belittle others doing the exact same thing you are doing. Now, if you're a pro-mudder (or pro-Spartan, or Pro-adventure racer, that's another thing. But I doubt it because those guys know that their entrance money depends on the common couch joe or jane giving it a go and signing up :).

<3