Frustrated

Options
So, I'm on a 21 day streak of logging food. I am usually right under or right over 1500 calories a day and I've started to work out at the gym doing cardio at least 3 days a week, sometimes 4 times depending on my work schedule. I work 12 hour days so it's really hard to go to the gym after work. I have not lost a single pound. I'm completely discouraged and frustrated and I know I shouldn't give up but, I really want to. I've avoided eating home made cupcakes, amazing giant cinnamon rolls, my favorite sour cream and cheddar ruffle potato chips and I have NOTHING to show for it!! Argh! I'm going to keep trying but, it's just so frustrating! Tips or opinions from anyone would be grateful!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing everything you eat with a food scale? Can you open your diary? Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Well, 21 days isn't too long of a time; however, you say 'right under or right over 1500 calories'. How are you logging your food? Do you log accurately meaning you weigh food and measure drinks as well as select the right MFP entries rather than generic entries?

You can still have some of your favorite things...you just need to fit it into your calorie goals.

Opening up your diary might help people give you better answers and advice.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If it's been 3 weeks you should have lost something by now. How much do you have to lose? My guess is that you're eating more then you think you are. Do you weigh your portions? You'd be shocked at how very small 2 oz of pasta looks on your plate. Your food diary and stats are locked, so it's hard to tell what the issue may be. Don't quit. Just re-*kitten* your food intake. Maybe 1500 calories is too much, try dropping it to 1300 and see what happens.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you're not weighing your food, make sure you start. Serving sizes are very deceiving. Even measuring with cups is inaccurate, you have to weigh to know for sure.

Also, are you eating back your exercise calories? If you are, try eating back half or less. MFP's burn estimates tend to be on the high side and could be telling you to eat back more calories than you should.
  • sharonsuewv
    sharonsuewv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you close to your goal weight? I know how frustrating this can be . It has happened to me more than once! try taking measurements and see if the inches are getting less. Don't give up!
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring yourself?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Try eating less.
  • lyang10
    lyang10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to order a scale today and I will figure out how to unlock my diary... IDK how I could eat less calories than I already do, I'm so hungry by the time I get home from work. I'll try only eating half of the calories burned after a workout.
  • mommabeek
    mommabeek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein? Protein keeps you full longer! Try low fat high protein smoothies for snacks. Good luck
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    lyang10 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to order a scale today and I will figure out how to unlock my diary... IDK how I could eat less calories than I already do, I'm so hungry by the time I get home from work. I'll try only eating half of the calories burned after a workout.

I don't think it's an issue of eating less. I think if you start weighing or measuring your food and logging it, you'll be surprised at how much more accurate you are.

To unlock your diary go to Settings and then "Diary Settings. Scroll down to "Diary Sharing". You will be able to change your diary sharing there.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I opened my dairy a couple of weeks ago or so and I've gotten amazing tips!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    lyang10 wrote: »

Yea, you have to weigh your food with a scale in grams to be more accurate.

If you are that hungry after work, I would try and add more protein/fat to lunch to help you with the hungries.

It takes time to get into a rhythm that works for you.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    People are right on the money about the food scale - it makes a huge difference. And you can get lots of food in for low cals if you plan things well. I usually build my meals around lean protein (chicken breast, fish) and veggies to fill me up. This leaves plenty of room for treats - you don’t have to give up the foods you love, just make them fit into your macros!

When I first started tracking calories recently I lost 0 weight for well over a month. In fact, I gained a couple of pounds at first. Then, weight just started coming off like crazy, and when I did the math it averaged out to about a pound a week, which is what I was going for. I figure it was water and glycogen because of exercise. My point is, don’t give up! Track food intake with a scale, don’t eat back all of your exercise cals because they’re usually overestimated, and be patient: you will see results!
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Yeah, man, the scale is a good tool. I started with 'guestimating,' then moved on to measuring cups, and now I use a scale.

It's definitely worth it.

OH! And make sure you're not leaving out what you drink. Sodas, beer, wine, milk, all of it.
  • susanaramsey
    susanaramsey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are in fact only eating 1500 calories, your body might be in starvation mode. You might want to consider increasing your daily calorie goal (by 100-200 calories) and drinking at least 64 oz water daily.
  • Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Does the 1500 calories include the exercise calories that you admit to "eating back"?
    Where did the 1500 limit come from? If you have just randomly picked that number then you should search "In Place Of A Road Map" here in the forums and calculate an accurate caloric intake. If you already have done that and that is what you have come up with then great job.
    So, you only do cardio? What is your reasoning for that? Just curious....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you are in fact only eating 1500 calories, your body might be in starvation mode. You might want to consider increasing your daily calorie goal (by 100-200 calories) and drinking at least 64 oz water daily.

"Starvation mode," as it is used in this context, is a total myth.

If you aren't losing weight, more calories in is not the answer.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Yeah, sorry, but that starvation mode idea is a pervasive myth.
    Caloric Deficit. That's it.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Well I wasn't losing on 1500 cals but when I upped my cals to 2200 I started losing again.