I have a high resting heart rate

Options

Replies

• lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is usually high 50s or low 60s, but I have no clue what it was before I started lifting and working out regularly. I suspect slightly higher. Has a lot to do with fitness level, and some people are just faster!
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A doctor can give you a graded exercise test (stress test) and give you a better idea what your heart is capable of. Dizziness can be caused by an abrupt stop to exercise. But it can also be a sign of other things, so you might want to watch that.

It's defines rely from not cooling doen enough. I will watch it but it down st lat long
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    snowy0wl wrote: »

Your heart should never "hurt".

Never.

no the heart doesn't hurt, it's more of my neck doesn't feel nice and I get pressure in my head almost like a headache.. My breathing is not great either but all my exercise so far is 60 minutes with a cool down period during and a little after.

I felt a little dizzy after stepping off but I'm assuming the cool down period isn't enough.

I'm never clenching my chest lol.. that would be bad. I'm not into that kind of pain!

I know it is easier to brush off ymptoms by saying "eh, I'm just out of shape" but I would see your doctor about those symptoms. Best case scenario, you were worried over nothing and need to ease into exercise a bit more. I think it is worth the peace of mind. I had a family friend (10+ years ago) who brushed off really benign sumptoms and it turned out she was having TIAs (mini strokes) and it was eventually fatale if you ever feel like something is wrong, please get it looked at.
    lili61 wrote: »
    My resting heart rate is usually high 50s or low 60s, but I have no clue what it was before I started lifting and working out regularly. I suspect slightly higher. Has a lot to do with fitness level, and some people are just faster!

Low heart rates (like in the 50s) are fine as long as there are no symptoms associated with it. Many athletes have low heart rates.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    When my heart hurts, I get shocked by a defibrillator and get oxygen! This helps me get through my exercise..
  • snowy0wl
    Options
    um the gamut of tests for stress tests can be in the 1000 range. I guess it will have to weight unless the doctor can specify that it is a issue with me.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    "See your doctor" is common advice given here, and that's probably a good thing because when people ask medical questions on internet forums, bad stuff happens. We're not qualified to answer, so the best place to raise health questions and concerns is with a qualified medical professional.

Having said that, use your judgment. Most things are no big deal and can be raised during an annual physical. If there's something you're worried about and think it shouldn't wait, call and make an appointment sooner.
  • snowy0wl
    Options
    segacs: yeah I know the legal liability of internet users and we aren't doctors and paid as such. problem is that even doctors can be too easy on doing tests. This is all fine and dandy when you have adequate medical insurance but when you have to pay things out of pocket you want to take the tests only in areas where there is concern. There are lots of resources that are semi official that you can rely and as you say, using your judgement is critical but also knowing the variables by talking to multitudes of people can get a general idea of what the right thing to do.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    man this is a dangerous thread lol *stays away*
  • elphie754
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    "See your doctor" is common advice given here, and that's probably a good thing because when people ask medical questions on internet forums, bad stuff happens. We're not qualified to answer, so the best place to raise health questions and concerns is with a qualified medical professional.

Having said that, use your judgment. Most things are no big deal and can be raised during an annual physical. If there's something you're worried about and think it shouldn't wait, call and make an appointment sooner.

How do you know no one here is qualified?
    segacs: yeah I know the legal liability of internet users and we aren't doctors and paid as such. problem is that even doctors can be too easy on doing tests. This is all fine and dandy when you have adequate medical insurance but when you have to pay things out of pocket you want to take the tests only in areas where there is concern. There are lots of resources that are semi official that you can rely and as you say, using your judgement is critical but also knowing the variables by talking to multitudes of people can get a general idea of what the right thing to do.
    How do you no one here is a doctor?
    Docmahi wrote: »
    man this is a dangerous thread lol *stays away*

How is it dangerious?
  • snowy0wl
    Options
    @segacs, I'm sure that there are doctors and ace certified trainers who know there stuff that are on here. They aren't being paid where you would automatically trust there words. We are a collection of random people some knowledgeable, some clueless or have a completely different understanding of how things work. There is no liability on the internet especially on random free forums where you don't know the individual people's background. If you take the time to investigate and know they say who they say they are all the power to you.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are accurately measuring your resting heart rate? I ask the same of the person who got it at the doctor's. Sitting down at an appointment is not the same. Ideally you do it several mornings in a row right after you wake up and before you get up and average those out.

Everyone is different. My max should be 190ish but I feel comfortable running in the 160s. Go by feel and use heart rate as an indicator after you learn when you don't feel good.
  • snowy0wl
    Options
    I do it daily about the same time in the morning, and aware if I just moved. It's never been lower than 89 but hovers around 92-95. I did the cycle and was okay running between 140-150. my HRM isn't that good so I'm waiting to see one that is more usuable. I have jumped to 170 occasionally but I don't stay there long given it's my maximal.
  • snowy0wl
    Options
    TimothyFish: defiantely concer with exercising. I think statistically my BP is inkling down I actually saw a resting heart rate of 85bbm.. That was news for me.

I’m waiting back on the EKG results but the nurse thinks it's fine but a Heart doctor is doing to double check just in case.

SergeantSausage: and yes the heart is definintly not hurting but I'll check the next time I push it. My throat and neck however would disagree with 'pain' there is a discomfort there. The nurse who has her own weight issues and loss said a similar thing as long as the heart isn't hurting go for it.

New concerns are about my cholesterol counts which will be tested along with liver and a 5 minute EKG was done. Cholesterol, prostate cancer and high blood pressure runs in the family.

We shall see.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Darn. I was hoping your heart rate was at least 110. I have a friend with tachycardia who normally rests at 120-130. She has trouble getting out of the ER sometimes (doctors won't release her).
  • elphie754
    Options
    TimothyFish: defiantely concer with exercising. I think statistically my BP is inkling down I actually saw a resting heart rate of 85bbm.. That was news for me.

I’m waiting back on the EKG results but the nurse thinks it's fine but a Heart doctor is doing to double check just in case.

SergeantSausage: and yes the heart is definintly not hurting but I'll check the next time I push it. My throat and neck however would disagree with 'pain' there is a discomfort there. The nurse who has her own weight issues and loss said a similar thing as long as the heart isn't hurting go for it.

New concerns are about my cholesterol counts which will be tested along with liver and a 5 minute EKG was done. Cholesterol, prostate cancer and high blood pressure runs in the family.

We shall see.

Okay, I have to comment about a phrase I keep saying people say. "Heart is hurting". Really? How in the world can you te if your "heart is hurting"?

Chest pain can have a variety of causes. It can be the heart, chest muscles (yes I know the heart is a muscle but specifically referring to other muscles), lungs (infections or other reasons) and the list continues. You can also be having pain that is caused by a heart attack that doesn't start in the chest. Females are notorious for having symptoms that are atypical. This "heart hurt" phrase is ridiculous.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Darn. I was hoping your heart rate was at least 110. I have a friend with tachycardia who normally rests at 120-130. She has trouble getting out of the ER sometimes (doctors won't release her).

I was in the ER after a bicycle crash the other day and had them a little nervous when my heart rate was 47. They weren't as nervous after I told them I'd checked it earlier in the day and gotten the same number.
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I *kitten* myself at hospital discovering that mine is around 58, clearly I'm fitter than I look.
  • snowy0wl
    Options
    58 RH is just on the lower end of what's normal. (60-100) Depending on what you have been doing exercise wise and have don that is determines your fitness level.

All of these are just guidelines I love seeing the examples where a person who has actively had a bad heart rate and improve it through lifestyle changes.
  • snowy0wl
    Options
    I've been more active and watching my weight, which probably helps reducing my resting heart rate a minimum of 10 points.. Conservatively I'm at 85rhr..
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my resting HR is in the 70's. When i am putting in a good workout, it can range anywhere from 140 to 160 (at the high end. i dont think ive ever *seen* it go higher, though its possible, i dont monitor constantly lol

As others have said, if you are concerned, go see a doctor. I don't think a resting HR of 100 is necessarily cause for concern, though. As you lose weight and do moderate exercise, it will likely lower over time.