Banana weight

Options
aligatah
aligatah Posts: 24 Member
When you weigh a banana to judge the calories, do you do it with or without the skin? If my meal plan says "Banana, small, 100g," is that with or without?

If you have an answer, please say how you know... I'm not looking for guesses. ; D

Thanks!

Replies

• Aggy23
    Aggy23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im sure it would b the full banana xx
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    well I weigh the full banana, then peel it and weigh the peel and log the difference of the edible part. I sure as heck ain't logging the peel cuz I don't eat it :smile:
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The USDA entry is for a "raw" banana, meaning without the peel. I think if you weighed it with the peel it would probably be quite a bit heavier.
  • artlover47
    artlover47 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine without the peel.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weigh the portion you eat
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh what I don't eat. (banana peels, orange peels, etc)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ***Your meal plan provider will have to explain what they mean***

I use the MFP database "Bananas-Raw" to log my bananas! My 200g banana yielded 124g of edible fruit today. It looked like a medium banana to me!

I use the "I eat what fills me up and meets my protein minimum within my calorie target and has good entries in the database which hopefully I won't have to research and create from scratch" plan, and it only deals with the edible portions of fruit! :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh the part I eat, not the bits I throw away. I dare say the data base would reflect this...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I also don't weight the seed or skin of an avocado, ie: The inedible parts :wink:
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion.

bwte3kuufl0l.jpg
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    well I weigh the full banana, then peel it and weigh the peel and log the difference of the edible part. I sure as heck ain't logging the peel cuz I don't eat it :smile:
    Same here. I do this with anything. Weigh it before, whatever I don't eat gets weighed as well and then subtracted from the total. So, orange peelings, banana peels, apple cores, chicken bones, etc. all get weighed afterwards.

Some things don't add up to many calories saved (apple cores, seeds and the like) but those extra calories can sometimes go towards a nice treat I might have otherwise come up a few calories short on fitting into my diary.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,616 Member
    Options
    I peel the banana and then weigh it. That way no math!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you eat the peel then weight it with the peel. If you don't eat the peel then weigh it without. You don't count the calories for the weight of the container your food comes in - you count the weight of the part you eat.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I always weigh them without the peel. Unless you are going to eat the peel, don't count that. That would be like weighing the container your yogurt came in :)
  • aligatah
    aligatah Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I do weigh most foods since being on mfp, but bananas I have never bothered. I just eyeball whether it's, med, large or extra large. Has not hindered my progress one bit.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Cybertone settles questions with authority. :p
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Cybertone settles questions with authority. :p

For real.

If you look at the USDA guidelines and methodology, they always use the edible portion only--no eggshells, no apple cores.

And nickatine, if you weigh most things it won't hinder your progress, but you should know that banana weights and banana sizes don't always track together. The banana I had this morning was probably sub-five inches and clocked in at 117 calories.

Edit: but I believe there might be some meat entries that are bone-in
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Edit: but I believe there might be some meat entries that are bone-in
    Off the banana topic here but;
    Like a pork chop. Usually called center cut bone in pork loin. Some of non-asterisked entries are raw, some cooked and one I noticed says "excluding refuse." I usually get mine at kroger and the entry for "Kroger - Moist & Tender Pork Loin Center Cut Chops Bone In" is probably the most accurate for my use.
    Sometimes you gotta remind yourself that this calorie counting business is not an exact science.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    With skin