• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I eat a large dinner at night, which keeps me from being very hungry in the morning so that I can just eat a very light breakfast (sometimes only a boiled egg), and eat a little more (maybe 300 calories) for lunch. Then I have 700-800 calories for dinner and eat stuff like a salad with an entire avocado, 40 grams of almonds, some mandarin oranges, and still have room for a mini ice cream sandwich. Sometimes I adjust to a larger lunch and smaller dinner, but I never have the desire to binge.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    again, you may not want to hear it, but I just focus on my goal. Yes, is so hard. Some days I still binge. But, I move on and continue. I learn from those, and it has eventually led to less binge eating.
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I modified all my foods to be healthy or healthier so I can eat the same amount with less calories and it's become a lifestyle. I went from eating fast food daily 6 years ago and slowly progressed to a "paleo-ish" lifestyle. I eliminated a lot of foods that upset my guts, learned to modify my guilty pleasures and bake/make them myself and so on. If I go in my cabinets or fridge now there's nothing but healthy choices. Small steps at a time and you can do it :smiley:
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    jangus9416 wrote: »
    I know these types of forums are everywhere, but this really helped me pinpoint my mistakes. I don't have structure to my diet. I'm in college, so I like to save up calories for a cheat meal with my boyfriend or a few going out drinks. The problem is I never know what day that is going to be. I find myself allowing myself more than one treat a week that isn't in my caloric goals simply because I don't want to miss out on anything. My boyfriend is a huge peer pressure here too. I also live with three guys so seeing their fast food EVERYDAY convinces me that I can eat it too.
    I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this yet, but I appreciate the help.

Most of us deal with similar situations. If you live with another person who is not trying to lose weight, you have to deal with their food in the house. It's a fact of life. 2 suggestions:

1. ALWAYS have a healthy alternative in the house. The time where I'm hungry and don't have a healthy option readily available when there is junk food everywhere is the time that I will probably fail.
    2. Eat before you're really hungry. The point where I'm starving and surrounded by junk food, even if there is a healthy option, is the point where I'm way more likely to give in.

You really have to be committed, IMO for reasons other than just a random number on a scale. For me it's avoiding family health conditions and relieving stress. Everyone has to find their reason.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    bulk_n_cut wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    bulk_n_cut wrote: »
    i gave my bottle of half-full nutella to a friend when i switched from bulk to cut. out of sight, out of mind
    theres no way im not-eating nutella when i see it

I would have to do the same with that crack. I mean snack.

omg have you ever tried dipping lindt's lindor balls in nutella and then eating them?
    many sins have been committed

ae1315fcb7e8bea44dd69556a9e8f0a8.jpg

I may have to get a snack cup of Nutella and a lone Lindt truffle next week...

I also don't keep stuff in the house. I had a jar of Nutella in the house.. I got it less than 2 weeks ago.. It's 98% empty hanging out on my kitchen counter as a badge of pure shame for me. Talenti is also not safe. I open it, and next thing I know I've hit the bottom of the plastic tub and I'm like "s**t, not again!"

Some things I used to shovel shamelessly into my pie-hole are no longer even appealing really. Pirates Booty was once a major threat to me. I ate a handful last week and didn't bother going back for more, and I likely never will. It tasted like crap to be honest. My kids are happy about that I'm sure. :P
  • jangus9416
    jangus9416 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Like i said, if i know i'm going to go out to some restaurant where i'll eat an ungodly amount of calories, i fast that day. That way, even if i do some real damage it's limited.

Other than that, willpower. Don't let anyone guilt you into anything. You need to make the decision that your goal is more important than being socially correct.[/quote]

I usually don't know until that night when I'm asked if I want to go out. At that point I've usually used up all of my calories. I do let guilt get to me sometimes, which I know I shouldn't. But then again, I've just become like an old lady that goes to bed at 9 and that's no fun. I really need a balance, but the people I'm surrounded by are so unorganized it's not even funny (Just think unhealthy hippies). My boyfriend is very supportive but misses going out and having fun
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    The reason it works for me is because I stopped the on a diet/off a diet mentality. I don't eat the entire package of cookies because I am "off" today and I can't have them when I am "on." Now that I know that i can have them any time, I am OK with taking two out of the package and being done. Because I can have two more every day if I want. That's just how it works for me, YMMV.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh, also...if I know I'm going to have a long day out with friends, I always have snacks in my purse. One, because I get hungry every three hours and also so I'm less tempted to order the biggest meal on the menu when we finally sit down to eat. Carrot sticks, cucumbers, laughing cow cheese, blue berries, quest bar. Things I can eat with my fingers.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I don't buy anything that is more than one serving. And if I go to a restaurant I use their nutritional menu and figure out what to eat that is within my calories.
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think it helps just to be paying attention to everything. I used to eat a whole sleeve of crackers with cheese, not realizing it was a whole days worth of calories and fat. Now I eat a couple crackers if I feel I really want them, but choose healthy things to fill up on.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    ohh, and brush + floss when you've met your calorie/macros. nothing for me is remotely as effective in curbing late night pantry raids
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What are some ways you continue to eat healthy and stop binge eating? I know most of you will say that you don't cut anything from your diet, and you eat what you want. CICO blah blah blah. Well that's great, really, but how do you limit yourself to just one cookie? Do you put money in a jar everyday you don't binge? What stops you in that moment of vulnerability? I just need some ideas. Thanks!

I simply stopped buying and bringing into my home any food items that I have had poor control over. I don't buy any junk foods like packaged cookies or potato chips. However, if I really want a treat I go and get it and eat it there. Within reason though. I'll go get a nice big frozen yogurt, or perhaps a McDonald's ice cream cone. If we have birthday celebrations and I bake a cake- I'll send ALL the leftovers home with the guests. My binge food was anything chocolate. So now, I'll occasionally walk or ride my bike to the store and buy ONE candy bar and really enjoy it.

Also, I've found healthier options that satisfy my sweet tooth. Like Danon Lite and Fit vanilla yogurt. It is delicious!
    It's not just about willpower, it's more about making new healthier habits. Keep a lot of tasty, but lower calorie foods available.

If it's salty crunchy food you crave, air pop a huge bowl of popcorn and lightly sprinkle it with popcorn salt...it's superfine grain and will stick to it even without butter. You can eat quite a lot for relatively few calories.

One last thing...I chew sugar free gum quite a bit. I especially like the dessert flavor ones.
  • kiwiOT
    kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How do I not binge on junkfood? Well we've all got food vices and I don't have a binging type personality (I think its more an emotional problem than a food problem). However I used to LOVE Big Macs. I don't know why since Im not generally crazy over fast food and the majority of it smells and tastes revolting but for some reason if I get a whiff of one, I immediately have that "Omg I totally gotta eat that right now!!" thought in my head. The same kind you get when you go to the movies and you're bombarded with the delicious popcorn smell even if you just ate a big meal.. But I looked up the big mac online and from my calculations Id have to run 10 km just to burn one off (and thats just the burger! Don't get me started on a combo!) I went into McDonalds today since I was visiting a town I was unfamiliar with and I could not find my beloved Subway. I literally walk in, smell that delicious Big Mac smell, consider for a split moment ordering one then I think, "I just got rid of one of my fat handles, do I want it back? AND its worth a 10km run. Do I want to run that much? Hell no." I ate a McWrap instead (grilled not crispy since crispy is deep fried). Also I worked at McDs in college so I know exactly how they cook and reheat their burgers and its enough to put anyone off their food.. Also my Hubby worked at KFC, Pizza Hut and 7/Eleven in college also so he knows what crap they put in their food as well. The only one I trust is subway (yes, I once worked there too). You can eat everything but their bacon, avocado and cheese and be aware that their bread has 4x the normal amount of sodium in reg bread..

Anyway, whats helped for me is educating myself on the nutrition of all my favorite "cheat" foods. I still eat them, but only during celebrations with my family ie birthdays, big family get togethers, holidays etc. I never EVER reward myself with food, because I know if Im having a bad day, food could revert to being an emotional thing for me and instead turn into a guilt trip - hello binge eating. So anyway, I find out what the calorie content etc of my "cheat" food and I prepare for it. Recently we had Easter, since my husband and his family are German Mennonite's I knew front up that there would be a mountain of chocolate and carbs available. They have a odd Easter "tradition" of eating deep fried german bread with potato/butter soup, then using that same piece of bread and dipping it into icing/powdered sugar - GROSS!!! I didn't partake but I did eat some plain bread rolls (a break from my no refined flour rule) and a small easter egg. So I knew I would go over my cal count for the day but I prepared by doing a decent session at the gym that morning. Even with a 1.5 hour workout I was still over my cal count by 45, which is certainly not terrible, but imagine what it would have been if I didn't exercise?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I just don't.

I can count the number of times I went over the calorie limit on one hand and they were events like Christmas parties etc.

The few times for what ever reason, poor planning, I went over by a little I would do some exercise, jump on a treadmill etc. so in the end I was under.

Every now and then I might have an extra slice of pizza I wasn't planning on eating but these are when I have the room or just don't have dessert of a snack.
  • kiwiOT
    kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Also if it helps, look at a kilo of butter everytime you want to binge and think - thats what will go into my body. Or google arteries that are clogged up with plaque. Educate yourself! Ignorance is not bliss!
  • JanFlew
    JanFlew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think of managing my calories like managing my money, and overeating is like writing a bad check. I have made a commitment to a healthy breakfast smoothie (4 fruit/veggie servings), a low calorie lunch, then I can eat the same dinner as the family, but I serve my plate with measuring cups to ensure proper serving sizes. I get my cardio workout done during the day, and see where my calorie balance for the day is. If I have earned extra calories, I can have a snack, if not, I can't. My motivation to stay disciplined is the weight I have already lost and the prospect of fitting back into that black lace dress hanging in my closet that I have never had the heart to put in the donation bag.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,149 Member
    Options
    What are some ways you continue to eat healthy and stop binge eating? I know most of you will say that you don't cut anything from your diet, and you eat what you want. CICO blah blah blah. Well that's great, really, but how do you limit yourself to just one cookie? Do you put money in a jar everyday you don't binge? What stops you in that moment of vulnerability? I just need some ideas. Thanks!

1. I've never been a binger.

2. There are no cookies in the house. Or anything else I like that might tempt me to eat more calories than I need to. If I really want that stuff, I have to make an effort to get it.

3. I do eat quite low-cal, but I choose yummy low cal options. I have been doing a whole lot more browsing through grocery stores of various sorts, looking at options, reading labels, etc. Before, I would just go for "the usual". Now I'm eating a lot more variety. I'm trying new things.

4. If I know I'm going to go out to a restaurant or otherwise be in a situation where I'll consume more calories than usual ... I exercise first. I exercise enough to burn those calories.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Whatever name you want to give it, it's the same thing that keeps me from spending next month's mortgage payment on toys I might want. I don't know what the technical term is for it, I'd probably call it, "giving a crap about the future and not just the moment."