21 day fix!

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I really don't understand this line of reasoning... (snip).. I actually own the 21 Day Fix, I've never used those silly containers, and I'm not following the prescribed 21 day schedule. I do like the workouts on non-running days.

So you don't understand why I criticized the potential lack of long term relevance of the program you bought and then proceed to tell me that in the long term the program you bought was not relevant to you since you are not really making use of it?

OK. Kewl.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Does the plan include buying shakeology? I don't think my coworker is doing that, though I have never asked. I've just never seen her drinking them here at work.

I still don't understand the mocking though.

No. It's an option, but not required.
    Of course, most Beachbody coaches will give you the hard sell for Shakeology. I've tried it, wasn't impressed, and never used it again.

I've wasted far more money on far more worthless things than workout videos, I suppose I'm lucky that a lost $50 doesn't affect my budget...

Please send me $50.

Address:

Mr Terrapin
    123 any street
    anytown, USA

f/b/o Mr Terrapin's son's college education, 'cause every penny counts!

If $50 is the difference between your child attending college or not, I feel sorry for him.
    I'm putting 2 through college right now.
    Oh boy, I didn't say it was the difference, you said you do not miss the $50. So, send me $50. Did you read your own comment above?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I only know one person (coworker) that has tried this. She says it was very helpful to her in learning portion control. I don't know how strictly she followed the workouts, but she brings her lunch in the containers everyday and has been consistently losing. So, I guess it is a good tool for some. Fodder for mockery for others.
    If you plan to use color coded Tupperware and shakes from someone called Shakeology for the rest of your life and believe that it is simpler than figuring out how to measure and log your food and exercise then go for it!
    But if the 21 day program doesn't set you up for the next 22 to 2222 days, what's there not to mock?

I really don't understand this line of reasoning. Sure, it's set up as a "21 day program", but I set time specific training goals for myself pretty frequently. Just because I train for 16 weeks for a marathon doesn't mean I become a couch potato during the 17th week. I actually own the 21 Day Fix, I've never used those silly containers, and I'm not following the prescribed 21 day schedule. I do like the workouts on non-running days.

The point is it's unnecessary. You yourself aren't even using the program that you paid for. One can find similar workouts on YouTube for free. One can learn to portion out food on your own without buying special containers. It's a waste of money and it doesn't teach independence; it's basically saying "you have to have this or you won't lose weight" which is not true at all.

Does it say that? Does it say this is the one and only way?

People spend money on lots of things that help with weight loss or fitness goals that isn't "necessary". Big deal. It's their money to spend, isn't it?

Do you make a habit out of defending lost causes and stupid decisions or is it just on this board?

Seriously, I'm interested.

I'm not defending anything. As I said I haven't tried it. I just don't understand the mocking by those who clearly haven't tried it either. And I especially don't understand the false claims about false claims.

He's making a joke about the fact that you will argue to the death about seemingly anything. I'm not sure if you're a long-term troll or just a constantly contrary person.

OIC Well, I'm not dead yet and it takes more than one person to argue.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Does the plan include buying shakeology? I don't think my coworker is doing that, though I have never asked. I've just never seen her drinking them here at work.

Of course, most Beachbody coaches will give you the hard sell for Shakeology. I've tried it, wasn't impressed, and never used it again.

I've wasted far more money on far more worthless things than workout videos, I suppose I'm lucky that a lost $50 doesn't affect my budget...

Do you understand?!?

• rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

Do you understand?!?

Clearly you don't understand. I "wasted" $50 apparently. But, I don't consider it wasted if it's something I actually use. I just don't get spending so much time out of your day trying to talk people you don't know out of spending a few bucks on something that you haven't even seen for yourself.

If it was $50/month, sure, I agree. Totally not worth it. It's $50, and it's something you can use over and over again if you so choose.

The fact that you want to be a jerk on the internet, understood.

• PAV8888
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Fodder for mockery for others.
    ...(random snips)... "very helpful to her in learning portion control" ... snips... There is mod here who doesn't seem to mind the mocking so I guess I shouldn't [comment: ouch: appeal to authority]; but learning portion control sounds like a pretty important thing for the future to me. Mock away if that is how you get your kicks.

Not so sure that I was the one who started calling straightforward responses "mocking", or that my original response was particularly mocking; but, I will further explain my point to you.

Tupperware containers from 21 days, point systems from weigh watchers, pre-made food packages from Jenny Craig, they all are what I would call "proprietary" systems of portion control.

Proprietary systems tie you to the vendor of the system.

At the same time there are internationally and freely available "open" systems of portion control. They use things known as grams, ounces, kilojoules and calories

If I am going to spend my time trying to learn and use a system of portion control for 21 days, I would rather use the same 21 days to learn how to use an internationally and freely available system that I know will be there for me for the rest of my life, if I chose to continue using it.

Furthermore, there are so many scams and useless ways to blow your money on health products in the marketplace that, in my opinion, the rubric of acceptance is higher than "it is not bad for you".

In my opinion, again, a product has to come up to a "it is genuinely useful and there aren't many better free alternatives" level before it should be endorsed.

Sorry for not being a cheerleader and glad to hear that it works out for the people who are happily doing it!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I say, anything that promises to "fix you" or "get you shredded", "lean", "buff", "sexy", "ready for summer" etc. etc. etc. within x amount of days, is crap.

Do you understand?!?

Clearly you don't understand. I "wasted" $50 apparently. But, I don't consider it wasted if it's something I actually use. I just don't get spending so much time out of your day trying to talk people you don't know out of spending a few bucks on something that you haven't even seen for yourself.

If it was $50/month, sure, I agree. Totally not worth it. It's $50, and it's something you can use over and over again if you so choose.

It's wasting money if you can get the same or better for free, don't you think so?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Fodder for mockery for others.
    "very helpful to her in learning portion control" Learning portion control isn't setting oneself up for good habits in the future. There is mod here who doesn't seem to mind the mocking so I guess I shouldn't, but learning portion control sounds like a pretty important thing for the future to me. Mock away if that is how you get your kicks.

Not so sure that I was the one who started calling straightforward responses "mocking", or that my original response was particularly mocking, but I will further explain my point to you.

A Tupperware container from 21 days, the point system from weigh watchers, the pre-made food packages from Jenny Craig, they all are what I would call "proprietary" systems of portion control.

Proprietary systems tie you to the vendor of the system.

At the same time there are internationally and freely available "open" systems of portion control. They use things known as grams, ounces, kilojoules and calories

If I am going to spend my time trying to learn and use a system of portion control for 21 days, I would rather use the same 21 days to learn how to use an internationally and freely available system that I know will be there for me for the rest of my life, if I chose to continue using it.

Furthermore, there are so many scams and useless ways to blow your money on health products in the marketplace that, in my opinion, the rubric of acceptance is higher than "it is not bad for you".

In my opinion, again, a product has to come up to a "it is genuinely useful and there aren't many better free alternatives" level before it should be endorsed.

The post just above yours pretty says what I was trying to say.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hmmm: let's review this thread:

"I found this great product: it is wonderful. Everyone should buy it!"

Err: sorry dude, it ain't a bad product; but, really, Tupperware containers cost like $10 and videos are available for free and you can do better on your own if you set your mind to it!

"Well, these are better than average videos and better than average containers and it's my $50 and I can spend it anywhere I want"

OK dude (dudette) chill out: sorry for not being a cheerleader and glad to hear that it works out for the people who are happily doing it!

"Well, it is my $50 and I will spend it anywhere I want."

OK dude (dudette), chill out: sorry for not being a cheerleader and raining on your parade; happy to hear you think your $50 went to a good cause; but, hey, this is MFP, a site that emphasizes counting your own calories for no monthly fees, just so you know...
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

Hmmm: let's review this thread:

"I found this great product: it is wonderful. Everyone should buy it!"

Err: sorry dude, it ain't a bad product; but, really, Tupperware containers cost like $10 and videos are available for free and you can do better on your own if you set your mind to it!

"Well, these are better than average videos and better than average containers and it's my $50 and I can spend it anywhere I want"

OK dude (dudette) chill out: sorry for not being a cheerleader and glad to hear that it works out for the people who are happily doing it!

"Well, it is my $50 and I will spend it anywhere I want."

OK dude (dudette), chill out: sorry for not being a cheerleader and raining on your parade; happy to hear you think your $50 went to a good cause; but, hey, this is MFP, a site that emphasizes counting your own calories for no monthly fees, just so you know...

Actually, you should go back and re-read the first post. OP asks if anybody has tried it and what type of results they achieved. Immediately, there are multiple posters who have NOT tried it lecturing about how much of a waste of money it is.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Actually, you should go back and re-read the first post. OP asks if anybody has tried it and what type of results they achieved. Immediately, there are multiple posters who have NOT tried it lecturing about how much of a waste of money it is.

I refer you to a previous post of mine where I spout about how the burden of evidence lies with the proprietary product that claims to do more than freely available similar products.

And to a previous post where I spout about how you are using the forums of a web-site where people measure, record, and keep track of what they eat and do.

To me it is self evident that most of the people here are neither intimidated nor averse to the procedure of counting calories on their own--since that's what I presume they do!

I know it may be shallow of me, but I don't feel particularly compelled to spend my money and time to try every random program in full before I make the connection between "not free and does what free already does" and "probably not necessary".

I guess I can be correctly called on the part: "but I only wanted opinions from people who have already tried the product".

It is a bad habit of mine to interject myself in threads that I haven't been explicitly invited to.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

Do you understand?!?

Seriously?!? Okay, wow. Yes, it must be me. You are a peach.
  • galengentry
    galengentry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! The vitriol spewed by most posters reminds me of people arguing about religion. On the 22nd day you do what you bloody want. You can do the course again, or you can do something else. It seems the persons who pooh pooh 21 Day Fit on MFP are very fit people for the most part. Not everyone is as focused on fitness. For many people having a course is a great way to begin a fitness regimen or to reignite a commitment to fitness.

Mccindy72 says “also, you can't gain mass in a calorie deficit. It's not possible.” Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is not particularly hard for average people. If you train with a progressive overload you can definitely gain muscle and if you are engaged in conditioning at the same time you will lose adipose tissue and gain lean mass assuming you’re caloric intake is right for you. “Mass” is a meaningless term in this context. You may want to lose adipose tissue only. You may want to gain lean tissue, muscle, only. You may want to do both. It’s true that losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously is very difficult for advanced bodybuilders. Many of them are close to their genetic limits so adding muscle is very difficult and slow for them even under the best of circumstances. But thousands and thousands of people gained muscle and lost fat

Bottom Line, many, many people have started or restarted their fitness focus with a course. I have never done any other course, but I have liked this one. I am not a “coach.” I have no financial interest in the company. I don’t think you need the shake, but lots of people like it. Most of the rest of the attacks on the course don’t withstand rational scrutiny. The fact that the company runs a multi-level marketing supplement peddling program does NOT mean 21 Day Fitness is not a good course. There is no causal connection. The fact that you "can do it yourself" (design an exercise/dieting regimen) is also not sufficient to conclude the course is valueless.

Wow.
  • galengentry
    Options
    Muscle Gain and Fat Losshttp://muscleevo.net/calorie-deficit/
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Here's the issue with a program like 21 day fix. They give you little tupperware containers. Do you weigh what you put in those containers? Because depending on what you put in there, you can fit a lot of calories in a little container. Do you learn how to continue to eat correctly (calorie deficit) to continue a weight loss journey once the 21 days are over? Do you learn how to transition to a maintenance phase once you've reached your weight loss goals, and continue that maintenance long term? Weight loss and maintenance is a learning experience, and a life long journey, not some 'quick fix' experience.
    and your link doesn't work. And no, you can't correctly build muscle while in a fat burning and weight loss state. While in a calorie deficit, you are losing fat and some lean muscle. In order to build muscle and add to overall muscle mass, you must be eating in a calorie surplus to give your body the excess building materials to create the muscle from. You can't create something from nothing. Your body can't break itself down to rebuild itself.
  • galengentry
    Options
    mccindy2 you state "And no, you can't correctly build muscle while in a fat burning and weight loss state. While in a calorie deficit, you are losing fat and some lean muscle. In order to build muscle and add to overall muscle mass, you must be eating in a calorie surplus to give your body the excess building materials to create the muscle from."

You are mistaken. You can lose adipose tissue and gain muscle. As I noted above it's harder if you are lean. I hope the link works now because it links to a scientific experiment. http://muscleevo.net/calorie-deficit/

Here is what the article state: A cross-training group performed both cardiovascular and resistance exercise (8 exercises, 4 sets per exercise, 8-12 repetitions per set, 60 seconds of rest between sets) in a single session. Exercises included the bench press, lat pulldown, military press, barbell curl, triceps extension, leg press, leg curl, and calf raises. An endurance-only group performed both cycling and walking (30 minutes each at 60-70% heart rate reserve for a total of 60 minutes).he group that combined cardiovascular with resistance exercise were able to lose fat (7.4 kilograms or 16.3 pounds) while gaining muscle (4.3 kilograms or 9.5 pounds) at the same time. The men taking part in the study were beginners and were not lean. Clearly you can't create something from nothing, but the bodies in this study and thousands of other bodies have something--adipose tissue--which the body burns for fuel. A calorie deficit means you are burning fat for fuel. You can burn fat for all bodily functions including muscle growth. If you have fat.

You offer no evidence or scientific support for your contention that the foregoing is impossible.

Next you dis the the tupperware containers because they are not as good as weighing food to help ensure you are in a caloric deficit. The tupperware containers are better than nothing. Your argument is illogical. You argue that because the tupperware containers are not as good as weighing food the tupperware container approach is bad.

The containers give the user an idea of the volume of food that is appropriate. The course specifically urges the participants to pour out the containers with enough frequency to have a visual cue as to the appropriate food amounts. That is huge. So many folks have no idea what is an appropriate amount of food.

You write "Do you learn how to continue to eat correctly (calorie deficit) to continue a weight loss journey once the 21 days are over?" Yes, if you use the containers you will eat less. You will learn visual cues as to how much is appropriate because the containers are keyed to your size and weight. Again, this isn't as exact as weighing your food but that fact doesn't mean it's a bad approach. Many, diets focus on things like "palm sized protein and starch portions." IIs the container approach as good as weighing food? No. That doesn't make it a bad. Your apparent devotion to your fitness regimen makes you certain that there is only one way to approach a fitness regimen with aesthetic oriented goals. You are wrong.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I may not have linked any study for you but I gave you perfectly good information as to why you can't build muscle in a calorie deficit. I'm sorry if you can't understand that information, or it doesn't make sense. You might be able to become more muscular with body recomposition, but that is NOT the same thing as building actual new muscle and bulking up, as I said. You must eat in a surplus to do that.
    And no, the containers are not nearly as good as weighing food. Do you know how much peanut butter you can fit in a tupperware container? Do you know how much a serving of peanut butter actually is? 32 grams, depending on the brand. Even if a person measures with an actual tablespoon, to try to measure out 2 tablespoons, they are likely to be quite far off of the actual serving size of 32 grams. This could put them off by 50-100 calories. That's just one example. using a container without weighing can have a person literally hundreds of calories over what they need to be for a calorie deficit, depending on the foods they're eating. It's a real struggle for those who are starting on the journey, and can't figure out why they aren't losing weight.
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with, there is NO QUICK FIX. Weight loss will come with a chance in your eating habits long term. ANd once you get used to eating healthy, you will more likely be successful long term rather that if you try a diet program. But a digital food scale, they are amazing and move your body daily! Good luck!