About the calories MFP wants you to consume daily...

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,870 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So you are too hungry already? And maybe should be eating at a smaller deficit which is more like maintenance than a larger deficit?

Because like it not like you will magically be able to eat differently when you're at maintenance....

If you are planning to drastically change how you behave once you hit maintenance... all l can do is wish you luck.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I want to lose 10-15 more pounds depending on how I feel when I hit my goal weight. My flaw is that I'm very impatient. I don't want to wait 2 and a half months to be at my goal weight.

Your body doesn't care about your lack of patience.

It sounds like you were patient during the first 40lbs.... Did something change?

Or has it all been a sprint to the finish because you are really trying to set yourself up for repeat cycles of dieting?

I guess I just want to be done eating at a deficit. I want to maintain, so I'm rushing myself.

I will say from experience that eating at a smaller deficit is much more fun than eating at a larger one.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The only way mfp gives me 1200 is if I set my activity level to sedentary. Thats just ridiculous, I use active since I do work out and chase my kids around and work full time and dont even bother with my exercise calories. Ive been losing well. Even before MFP at 5'6" and 145 i could eat about 1600 and still maintain, with a few body weight exercise sessions a week and normal daily activities.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 10-15 more pounds depending on how I feel when I hit my goal weight. My flaw is that I'm very impatient. I don't want to wait 2 and a half months to be at my goal weight.

It sounds like you were patient during the first 40lbs.... Did something change?

Or has it all been a sprint to the finish because you are really trying to set yourself up for repeat cycles of dieting?

I guess I just want to be done eating at a deficit. I want to maintain, so I'm rushing myself.

I will say from experience that eating at a smaller deficit is much more fun than eating at a larger one.

Haha, you are right.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The only way mfp gives me 1200 is if I set my activity level to sedentary. Thats just ridiculous, I use active since I do work out and chase my kids around and work full time and dont even bother with my exercise calories. Ive been losing well. Even before MFP at 5'6" and 145 i could eat about 1600 and still maintain, with a few body weight exercise sessions a week and normal daily activities.

If you are using your workouts as part of the justification for your "active" setting, you shouldn't bother with your exercise calories. You would be double-dipping.

Exercise should only be accounted for once.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

If you are using your workouts as part of the justification for your "active" setting, you shouldn't bother with your exercise calories. You would be double-dipping.

Exercise should only be accounted for once.

Correct. That what I was trying to say:) I eat what it tells me since I already accounted for myself being active.

The only reason I add my exercise is to track my workouts. I ignore any calories that adds to my daily allowance. Plus my fitbit adds even more so I ignore that too. Its JUST for my own activity tracking purposes.

Even on days I dont workout I am still more active than just being alive so I usually eat the same every day no matter what.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Haha, you are right.

Yup and since it's down to 10-15lbs go for 1/2lb a week and that's an even smaller deficit...almost maintenance.

You need to start reverse dieting soon anyway so this would be a good place to start.

No need to rush tho...a small deficit will however require diligence with logging accuracy.

And remember exercise gives you more calories to eat....

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    When you first created your account here, did the calories MFP give you to consume daily, work for you in helping achieve weight loss? Or did you find better luck adjusting the calories to something that worked better for you?

Yes, the calories MFP gave me to consume worked for me ... better than expected as a matter of fact.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with MFP's calculations.

I'm concerned because I am 5'9 and weigh 177 lbs, exercise 4-5 times a week, but mfp thinks I should eat 1200 calories a day.

I am a little shorter than you, but was about the same weight. MFP gave me about 1250 calories for days when I am not active. That works.

For days I am active MFP gives me more calories. I may or may not eat some of them back.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Remember, it will give you a base and you will earn more through exercise. Additionally, there is no reason to put your goal so aggressive. A half a pound to a pound a week is sufficient.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others above. You only have about 10-15 to lose so your deficit doesn't need to be so aggressive.

It may even be easier at this point to eat at maintenance for your goal weight. Loss will be slower but then you'll be eating what you need to maintain your goal weight and wont have to worry about the transition from losing to maintenance too much.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    When I first started under another account I found that the calories I put were too aggressive (I think I put either 1.5 pounds or 2) & with the job I have where I am on my feet for most of my shift it just wasn't cutting it.

After reading a lot of the threads about TDEE I decided to use Scooby's calculator & found that I was losing albeit a little slower but I wasn't as hungry & I had more calories to play around with.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    It worked a bit too well. I averaged 1.8kg lost per week (about 4lbs) when MFP was predicting 900g lost per week.

I upped from 1200 to 1300 kcal and MFP now says I will lose 500g (about a pound) per week but I average 1.3kg.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,870 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    It worked a bit too well. I averaged 1.8kg lost per week (about 4lbs) when MFP was predicting 900g lost per week.
    I upped from 1200 to 1300 kcal and MFP now says I will lose 500g (about a pound) per week but I average 1.3kg.

Are you logging accurately, or are you just not logging/eating back exercise calories?

Generally MFP would not be consistently off by a factor of 2x to 2.75x if one or both of the above mentioned issues are absent.

While this may not matter to you right now, when/if your rate of loss exceeds 1% per week on a consistent basis it may cause issues such as excess muscle loss, or increase your risk of non compliance.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »

Did you have your goal set below 1,200?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1/2 a lb a week plus eating back 50% of your exercise calories should give you a decent diet (as in range of food)
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I originally put my goal to 2lb a week and got 1,200. I was starving so on recommendation from here I went to 1lb a week and it gave me a whopping 50 cals more : :'( However, after the first couple of weeks I have got used to this amount.

I usually have at least 2 social events a week where I end up eating a larger meal, so I am more going for weekly calories. Some days I eat 1,500 to 1,800 other days I am nearer to only 1,000. I am hungry on the 1,000 days, but I need to keep to my weekly goal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    (i didnt read through the thread)

yes, they work. however at 1200 calories I am a mean, testy *kitten*. and hungry. oh so hungry. I did however lose a lot of weight my first month LOL

Then i decided i needed to be happy again and even now (4 months later) still continually tweak and adjust my calories, just depending on what my life is looking like that week.

*usually* i am between 1300-1500/calories. this week i have it set a little higher, but still below maintenance.

• ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes it worked. At one point it wanted to lower my calories to 1270 and I manually changed it to 1400 + exercise calories and I still continued to lose well.