Suggestions for slimmer but not muscular legs?

Options
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer a few questions regarding fat loss, particulary in the legs. I know it sounds weird coming from a guy, but I have a relatively slim frame for my upper body, and I'm perfectly fine with that. But the thing is, I have realtively big thighs/calves that make it uncomfortable for me to wear jeans and longer pants without feeling unproportional. I don't think I have that much leg fat, but I'm still planning to lose it. My main concern is that my thighs and calves are too muscular already because of squats/lunges/uphill-running, and I'm afraid to gain anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can slim down my legs without necessarily gaining muscle?
Thanks in advance, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-Jonathan

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Don't exercise them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    muscular legs are sexy.

just sayin.....
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    In the off chance you’re for real, I’d really focus on hypertrophic work on your upper body and endurance work on your lower body. So, heavy lifts at 8 - 10 reps on upper body, and moderate weights at 20 - 25 reps for lower body. The point being to create a more balanced look (since that’s your goal).

Or you can ask for your legs to be put in splints for 9 months and you’ll lose all that desirable muscle mass.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Do what 99% of gym-goers do: don't train legs.
  • crimstal114
    Options
    In the off chance you’re for real, I’d really focus on hypertrophic work on your upper body and endurance work on your lower body. So, heavy lifts at 8 - 10 reps on upper body, and moderate weights at 20 - 25 reps for lower body. The point being to create a more balanced look (since that’s your goal).

Or you can ask for your legs to be put in splints for 9 months and you’ll lose all that desirable muscle mass.
    HI Allan,
    I'm not sure what you mean by "for real," but that's some great advice :smile: True I want a more balanced look but I don't really want to gain much muscle in my upper body (I know I know, that sounds really weird). Any specific exercises you recommend to burn leg fat without gaining muscle that don't require the use of weights? (sorry I don't really own weights/ go to the gym since I get most of my exercise from cross country and tennis).
    Thanks again for the insight though; certainly a consideration.
    -Jonathan
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Please can you send photos so I can give the best advice?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’ll have to refer to ninerbuff’s response. You’ll have to let your legs atrophy to lose muscle. Move them as little as possible, put as little weight on them as possible. Your body will respond to this lack of stimulus and shed the muscle you have.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Speaking on behalf of women everywhere, this line of discussion makes me a little sad. Muscles are sexy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    See a doc about body dismorphia issues.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I m sorry did I not read that your exercises are from cross training and tennis? I presume you do these daily or often.

Your legs are getting worked out period. This thread makes no sense to me. When I first read it I thought you lifted weights etc.. to get your "build"... and then I read that you do not lift weights and you run and play tennis...

I may be missing something here.. but to stop training your legs you have to stop running and playing tennis...

I think you may have BDD... just saying..
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You sound like a young boy who pops up every few months that is extremely underweight and wants to lose leg mass.

What is your height and weight, and what is your diet like?

• lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My very humble opinion on this is that to balance out your shape, if that is what you are after, you should try to emphasize and develop your shoulders/back, to create the look of a comparatively slim waist/hip/leg width. No need to become too muscular either, if you do not like it aesthetically.

And frankly, brusquely atrophying your legs on purpose is not a solution anyone should pick. Not you, not those thigh-gap obsessed girls, not anyone.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My very humble opinion on this is that to balance out your shape, if that is what you are after, you should try to emphasize and develop your shoulders/back, to create a look a comparatively slim waist/hip/leg width. No need to become too muscular either, if you do not like it aesthetically.

And frankly, brusquely atrophying your legs on purpose is not a solution anyone should pick. Not you, not those thigh-gap obsessed girls, not anyone.

This is what reasonable people do. The answer to proportionality is to train those areas that are lacking in muscle to match the areas of your body that have significant muscle.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    No ones asked his weight, height or body fat percentage, so I will!

Why so quick to jump on the body dismorphia band wagon y'all? I can perfectly imagine wanting to have svelter legs as a guy.

I can imagine he may need a cut, then start a bulk focussing on upper body...
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    No ones asked his weight, height or body fat percentage, so I will!

Why so quick to jump on the body dismorphia band wagon y'all? I can perfectly imagine wanting to have svelter legs as a guy.

I can imagine he may need a cut, then start a bulk focussing on upper body...

Because\/\/\/
    You sound like a young boy who pops up every few months that is extremely underweight and wants to lose leg mass.

What is your height and weight, and what is your diet like?