High protein snacks which are low calorie?

Options
Hi guys,

I'm only just starting to really understand the science behind getting lean and muscular, and everywhere I look people say 'make sure you have enough protein!' but whenever I look at protein bars or shakes etc they seem super high in calories! Can anyone recommend some for me to try? I'm based in the UK!

I've only been doing MFP for a week but if it helps, a typical day for me goes like.... cereal or scrambled eggs for breakfast, a fish salad for lunch, fruit as snacks throughout the day/maybe a cereal bar if I'm super hungry or some edamame beans, and some meat and veggies for dinner. I do exercise classes three/four times a week during my break at work.

Thank you :)

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Quest bars. Less than 200 calories for 25 grams of protein.
  • FCFitness75
    FCFitness75 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Ok so I just have to figure out how to get that into my diet with 1,200 daily allowance now. And also where to buy them from haha
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    String cheese, greek yogurt, lunch meat slices, chicken breast strips dipped in bbq sauce, eggs (hardboiled or otherwise)
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 right for you or did you just pick that number because it's so popular? What's your height and weight? Anyway, I buy mine from the Quest Nutrition site but GNC sells them.
  • cogodscountry
    cogodscountry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Vitamin stores sell protein powder to add to fruit shakes. Egg whites are another way to go.
  • FCFitness75
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm tiny, only 4ft 11ins tall lol and I weigh 126lbs. Weight literally takes forever to come off me. MFP gave me 1,200 and I think my resting metabolic weight calories is only 1,400 anyway, so I know it sounds low but it's fine :)
  • FCFitness75
    Options
    Vitamin stores sell protein powder to add to fruit shakes. Egg whites are another way to go.

Thanks :) This might sound silly, but do these add in calories to your fruit shakes?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I find that the best bang for my buck in getting optimum protein is through shakes and bars. But they do come with calories so it is something I have to fit into my calories. Shakes and bars can be chosen wisely to limit some calories but they are very "caloric".

I drink Muscle Milk 40 which is 220 calories for 40 grams of protein, and I also eat Greek yogurt (Dannon Oikos Triple Zero which is 110 calories for 15 grams...

Fish, chicken and eggs are a great bang for your buck in protein are you are right on track...

• FCFitness75
    Options
    Thank you Gia, that was really helpful! I'll look into Muscle Milk 40 x
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    beef jerky
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I get Spirutein, it's a soy protein powder I put in my morning smoothie. It's only 14 of protein but it is 99 calories a scoop, so that's pretty thrifty. :)
  • FCFitness75
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions :) I'm going to get down to my health shop and pick up some protein powder I think! And I always wondered why there was beef jerky in a vending machine at my gym haha
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, standing alone, isn't much of a snack. In my experience, it isn't especially filling, either. Now, protein powder in some 0% fat yogurt is filling, has a lot of protein relative to total calories, and tastes awesome if you get a good powder.

You can also dip your Snickers into it to boost the protein to be more in line with the fat and carbs.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Almonds. Roasted soy beans.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese :)
  • FCFitness75
    Options
    I can't really eat almonds or nuts or even Snickers sadly because I get a weird allergic reaction to nuts where my lips get all lumpy (really attractive, obviously) and my gums and throat become itchy... same with a lot of fruit! But I can eat it in the butter form for some reason, so I might just have to do that. Thanks for the yoghurt and powder tip :) I'll get on the cottage cheese!
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt! Yum! 100 calories & 12g protein...
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Unless you are bulking, it sounds like you are doing OK for protein. But if you'd like an insurance policy:

You can use the protein powders to make some really yummy (and portable) snacks. Google.
    Hard boiled egg is 70-80cal 6-7g protein
    Throw some beans into your lunch salad - kidneys, black beans, chickpeas or lentils
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hiya, UK based ideas: nakd bars in their 'crunch' range (get them in sainsburys/holland and barrett / online) are 6g protein per 30g bar (100 cals) as you already have cereal bars these might be better options as all natural ingredients and no added sugar. Mini babybel light, 42 calories and 5g protein, low fat cottage cheese (stir in 1/4 tsp of the spice of your choice to make it less minging, I liked smoked paprika), total 0% yogurt, swap rice for quinoa.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm tiny, only 4ft 11ins tall lol and I weigh 126lbs. Weight literally takes forever to come off me. MFP gave me 1,200 and I think my resting metabolic weight calories is only 1,400 anyway, so I know it sounds low but it's fine :)

Yeah, sounds like you're one of those people for whom 1200 is actually a reasonable goal. The weight loss is gonna be slow, but you knew that already. Just be patient.

As for protein, you probably don't need to resort to shakes, bars or supplements unless you're really struggling to get enough protein into your day otherwise, because, as you say, with only 1200 calories the last thing you want is to be using them up on food you don't enjoy.

A good goal to aim for is at least 0.8-1g of protein per kg of body weight, so in your case, 45-57g of protein per day is a pretty good range. Eating lean protein with your meals (chicken breast, fish, leaner cuts of beef, etc.) will probably give you most of your daily needs. Add some dairy (milk, cheese, yogourt) and some vegetable protein sources (beans, legumes, soy, tofu) and you should be able to reach your daily minimums just fine.

Even with 1200 calories, try to reserve 100-150 of them per day for "free" calories to enjoy snacks that you like. Since the weight comes off slowly, you'll be more likely to stick with this in the long term if you are incorporating the foods you enjoy, rather than depriving yourself. Carbs and fat aren't evil either; you need all three for a healthy diet.