Replies

• Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    P0NY4Ea.jpg
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Look into Lyle's Protein Sparing Modified Fast - it isn't a fast but a low cal diet. You'll hit the twenty pound loss - expect to feel like crap and expect to regain it afterwards - it isn't a useful strategy for reasonable weight loss but can be successful for an event when you gotta make weight, like a wedding.

The majority of the loss will be water weight. Maybe a third will be fat loss.

For four weeks, it isn't too unhealthy - but you'll have to be careful to get your micro nutrients. Please do not follow it beyond 6 weeks unless medically supervised.

Most likely you'll regain every lb and then some, so it's a bad idea that will work for the short period.

So there - how to do it with all the caveats. And go!

And, it probably won't help you produce the "look" you're wanting for that bikini.

But yeah, you could do it.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    You know that you won't be the focus of the wedding, right? Even if you somehow managed to do it, odds are that people may not even notice, because they're focusing on the bride and groom...

Unless they're noticing how weak and tired you are because you basically starved yourself for a month.

Adjust your goal. You can make a lot of ground by exercising, eating healthy, and keeping a moderate deficit. And you'll feel better for it.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You are one crazy girl. Knock tourself out and give us the updates about what and how you are doing. Tee hee it should be fun.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Every time I see threads like this I'm reminded that it's so much better to get in shape and stick with it (even when you don't want to), then to get anxiety about weddings, summer beach time, etc.

OP - lose the weight in a healthy way, start a fitness program for body comp, make it part of your every day life and you will never have this problem again.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Sure you can do it.

I mean, you'll feel like *kitten*.

You'll also look like *kitten*.

But you can lose that much weight in 4 weeks.

Oh, and you'll gain it all back plus more when you go back to your old eating habits, which, after a restriction like that, you will likely do because you haven't learned how to eat in moderation.

In the end, it's all on you and it will be your loss.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Take the bikini and the receipt to the store ... exchange it for a more realistic size ... couple that with setting an attainable, healthy goal.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Is this wedding for a friend of yours? That's a terrible friend to only tell you are in it 4 weeks before the wedding AND make you wear a bikini in it. I mean I've had some awful bridesmaid dresses but a bikini!?

If your friend was thinking of you, which she obviously should be since everyone knows this day has nothing to do with the bride and everything to do with the procrastinating bridal party, then she would tell you that it doesn't matter how you look it only matters that you show up to be a part of the special event.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I can understand the feeling of being nervous to step out in a bikini in a body that you aren't 100% comfortable with. I can also understand the wanting to be ready and fast. I have lost weight, gained weight, and lost it again. The one thing I am realizing in all of this is that I don't think I will ever be truly happy with the way my body looks, and at some point I just have to not give *kitten* what anyone else thinks about it, and just do what I want. The less F*cks I give worrying about those around me, the more confident I become.Trying to lose weight the way you want to isn't possible, and even if it was you would be so unhealthy that you still wouldn't look very good. You should focus instead on finding the parts of you that you like. Build up your confidence. Find a bikini that fits you right now and where the heck out of that thing without critizing your self or fear of what others think. Confidence is far more sexy than being unhealthy.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I wont throw stones been there done that as far as crash dieting...what you could do is just work out and eat better and just hope for the best..its a huge goal to reach but Im sure your friends wont care 1 piece or 2 as long as you arrive so....perhaps make your goal a longterm one and have nothing to do with the wedding at all...Good luck
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your goal is not realistic. A huge drop like that (for someone not really morbidly obese (like class II or III) will probably include more muscle mass loss than fat (not to mention a good portion of it would be more water weight anyways) and although the scale will read 20lbs lighter, you'll probably not look it. If there are any visible changes, it'll probably lean more towards seeming a little flabbier or maybe loose skin issues.

And there's also a big possibility that in this 4 week time frame (if you were to actually succeed at this dangerous attempt), your hair and skin will also reflect the ill treatment of your body, not to mention your mental state as trying to do an extreme crash diet (as it would be one to come close to the deficit you are aiming for) would be thoroughly messed up.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure all you think this is a crazy plan ...
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! You should also speak to your doctor and a nutritionist. And make sure you make and stick to an easier and more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

• PRMinx
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

If she's aiming for a 5lb/week loss, then telling her to go ahead and do this while touting things like nutrition, eating enough and aiming for more fat than muscle loss is contradictory.

So basically, you're kind of a hypocrite for calling other people naysayers when your advice, ultimately, mirrors theirs as well.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

So discouraging someone to lose at a rate 2.5 times greater than the maximum healthy loss rate (which is only recommended for those with 75+ pounds to lose) means everyone is naysayers?

OP, unfortunately, it's not going to happen.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Can you lose that much in 4 weeks? Maybe. You may end up just looking like a smaller version of your current self, but that's a very overzealous goal to begin with. You'll be restricting yourself so much that you may end up gaining half of it back at the reception. Why do I say that? Because I've trained enough people to see it happen.
    I'm sure the wedding was set well in advance of May 15th, so you more than likely had time to lose the weight before then. You waited too long and now you're "doing what you gotta do" and it's the incorrect approach.
    Whatever happens, celebrate the wedding. That's the importance here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
    3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is--the more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course--but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way.

Here's how I lost 60 lbs in 3 months:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good luck with that being under at least 275lbs, and more likely under 300, or heavier.

Also, you bought a bikini for this event, meaning you knew that you had more time...

It's your fault for not starting sooner, so no sympathy here. Plain, and simple.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is, but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way. The more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course.

Here's how I lost 60 lbs in 3 months:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.

Right. That's about a 2300 calories deficit A DAY. And, on top of that, she needs to have the energy required to "focus on fitness." Sorry, no way this is happening in a healthy way no matter how focused she is at the gym or in the kitchen. It's a very aggressive plan that will lead to bingeing in most people.