20lbs is 4weeks!!!

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    well she's 23 years old and says she has 25lbs to lose if you look at her profile.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure all you think this is a crazy plan ...
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
    3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is--the more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course--but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way.

Here's how I lost 60 lbs in 3 months:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.

I have a feeling that the OP is maybe about 20 Lbs overweight and she thinks she's going to lose all of that in 4 weeks. I can't believe that you're actually irresponsible enough to tell her this is actually a good idea. You should be ashamed of yourself.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Can you lose that much in 4 weeks? Maybe. You may end up just looking like a smaller version of your current self, but that's a very overzealous goal to begin with. You'll be restricting yourself so much that you may end up gaining half of it back at the reception. Why do I say that? Because I've trained enough people to see it happen.
    I'm sure the wedding was set well in advance of May 15th, so you more than likely had time to lose the weight before then. You waited too long and now you're "doing what you gotta do" and it's the incorrect approach.
    Whatever happens, celebrate the wedding. That's the importance here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This. I mean I just can't even fathom what it would take and how miserable I would be to try to pull something like this off.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP,

Are you new to weight loss? ** I was looking for an answer to this question but didn't find it.**

If yes, you will see be able to see "loss" at a lot faster rate than someone who has been at it for long in the beginning.

But mind you it's going to be water weight and can be temporary if you don't stick around with your goal (your goal is aggressive I would say be realistic and expect 1 or max 1.5 lb loss per week) .

That being said start your journey today. Don't wait.

What can happen at the most instead of loosing let's say x pounds you would have lost x- 7 pounds by wedding. At least you lost 7 pounds by the wedding. That's a huge number.

Good Luck.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
    3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is, but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way. The more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.

Right. That's about a 2300 calories deficit A DAY. And, on top of that, she needs to have the energy required to "focus on fitness." Sorry, no way this is happening in a healthy way no matter how focused she is at the gym or in the kitchen. It's a very aggressive plan that will lead to bingeing in most people.
    Well, of course, she must avoid binging.

• PRMinx
    Options
    Hi everyone,

3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is, but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way. The more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course.

Right. That's about a 2300 calories deficit A DAY. And, on top of that, she needs to have the energy required to "focus on fitness." Sorry, no way this is happening in a healthy way no matter how focused she is at the gym or in the kitchen. It's a very aggressive plan that will lead to bingeing in most people.

Yeah and the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

I agree with wolfman. You should be ashamed of yourself for giving false hope that this can actually happen without negative repercussions. ESPECIALLY since she only has 25 pounds to lose.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    That being said start your journey today.

That's not a journey, that's a death march.

• Robertus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is--the more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course--but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way.

I have a feeling that the OP is maybe about 20 Lbs overweight and she thinks she's going to lose all of that in 4 weeks. I can't believe that you're actually irresponsible enough to tell her this is actually a good idea. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding. She and her doctor are responsible for her health, and this was done by me in a healthy way in the opinion of me and my doctor.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to drop 20lbs in April, so I understand what it takes. I've restricted myself to 1500-1600 calories per day average, and have been able to stick to it decently well, but I have yet to go over 2000 cals/day. I work out 4x/week in the gym, and go pretty hard, enough to burn 800 - 1200 calories each session.

I started out at 272.5, and have only been able to manage dropping 8lbs in 17 days now. There is absolutely no way that I would be able to do this without serious risk to my health if I even weighed my goal of 252.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Why after the wedding rather than starting NOW?

How do you propose she safely create the necessary deficit to lose that much weight in such a short period of time?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    That being said start your journey today.

That's not a journey, that's a death march.

What? Her goal is to loose 20 pounds. How is that death march?

Did you read anywhere in my comment I said "loose 20 pounds in x days"?

Are you quoting me for the heck of it or are you trolling?

EDTA: And taking my comment; snipping it to work in your favor so as to make it look like a conspiracy will be reported for moderation. I have zero tolerance for messing with my comments to fit them as anyone would feel them needed.
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options
    Hi everyone,

We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

How do you propose she safely create the necessary deficit to lose that much weight in such a short period of time?

There is no way for her to safely create the necessary deficit.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

There is no way for her to safely create the necessary deficit.

I know that and you know that ... time to see if Robertus does.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to drop 20lbs in April, so I understand what it takes. I've restricted myself to 1500-1600 calories per day average, and have been able to stick to it decently well, but I have yet to go over 2000 cals/day. I work out 4x/week in the gym, and go pretty hard, enough to burn 800 - 1200 calories each session.

I started out at 272.5, and have only been able to manage dropping 8lbs in 17 days now. There is absolutely no way that I would be able to do this without serious risk to my health if I even weighed my goal of 252.

Congrats on the loss! You are working hard, no doubt about it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! You should also speak to your doctor and a nutritionist. And make sure you make and stick to an easier and more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.
    It's cute that you think she cares about her health.

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding. She and her doctor are responsible for her health, and this was done by me in a healthy way in the opinion of me and my doctor.

If you look at her profile and her pic, she has 25 lbs to go. She wants to lose 20 of that in 4 weeks. She is close to goal weight. The hardest weight to lose are those "last ten pounds". So... yes, you may have been able to do it, but you are not her. You aren't even the same gender.

Telling her that she can make it, because you did, is simply ridiculous. You have NONE of the same variables!

OP - you're getting a lot of tough love here. It may be easy to get upset and throw your hands up in the air and say screw it! Don't.

PLEASE, adjust your expectations to a more realistic goal. Learn the right way to lose weight, learn healthy eating habits to get yourself there. And focus on having a great time at the wedding.

You are a beautiful woman RIGHT NOW, those extra 25 pounds will be gravy, and are NOT necessary for you to look fabulous at the wedding.

Just please do not hurt yourself (mentally, emotionally AND physically) by forcing yourself to go through with this goal.
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Congrats on the loss! You are working hard, no doubt about it.

Haha, well thanks. :)

I know that it is bordering on stupid to do what I'm doing even at my weight, but I'm keeping very close track of how I feel, and will stop immediately if I notice any adverse effects.

Trying to do it for anyone under 250 isn't just insane, it's moronic.
  • Robertus
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I agree with wolfman. You should be ashamed of yourself for giving false hope that this can actually happen without negative repercussions. ESPECIALLY since she only has 25 pounds to lose.
    Her chances of avoiding binging are entirely dependent upon her enthusiasm, dedication, and the strength of her resolve. I am not ashamed of people who have such personal qualities. Following the advice of her physician and nutritionist she can certainly avoid any and all negative repercussions. I am not ashamed of giving her false hope. I do not recommend false hope.

• PRMinx
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Her chances of avoiding binging are entirely dependent upon her enthusiasm, dedication, and the strength of her resolve. I am not ashamed of people who have such personal qualities. Following the advice of her physician and nutritionist she can certainly avoid any and all negative repercussions. I am not ashamed of giving her false hope. I do not recommend false hope.

So, now you are saying that someone who can't adhere to this crazy plan isn't enthusiastic or dedicated? Enthusiasm and dedication only go so far when you are STARVING.

But, hey, keep defending yourself. You're just digging a deeper hole.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

tumblr_mezlpvvzCo1rxis0k.gif