Robertus wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure all you think this is a crazy plan ...
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
    3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is, but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way. The more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course.

Here's how I lost 60 lbs in 3 months:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.

Right. That's about a 2300 calories deficit A DAY. And, on top of that, she needs to have the energy required to "focus on fitness." Sorry, no way this is happening in a healthy way no matter how focused she is at the gym or in the kitchen. It's a very aggressive plan that will lead to bingeing in most people.
    Well, of course, she must avoid binging.
    Yeah and the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

I agree with wolfman. You should be ashamed of yourself for giving false hope that this can actually happen without negative repercussions. ESPECIALLY since she only has 25 pounds to lose.
    Her chances of avoiding binging are entirely dependent upon her enthusiasm, dedication, and the strength of her resolve. I am not ashamed of people who have such personal qualities. Following the advice of her physician and nutritionist she can certainly avoid any and all negative repercussions. I am not ashamed of giving her false hope. I do not recommend false hope.

Do you really think this 23 year old girl who wants to lose 20 lbs before a wedding so she can rock a bikini is going to do this under doctor's guidance? I mean seriously. Let's be realistic here. You think she went to her doctor, and a nutritionist, and told them this same story?

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
    3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is--the more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course--but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.

I have a feeling that the OP is maybe about 20 Lbs overweight and she thinks she's going to lose all of that in 4 weeks. I can't believe that you're actually irresponsible enough to tell her this is actually a good idea. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Why after the wedding rather than starting NOW?

How do you propose she safely create the necessary deficit to lose that much weight in such a short period of time?
    Because she will need a good plan that she can sustain long-term. Plenty of strenuous exercise. Plenty of rest. The necessary amount of nutritious food to sustain the exercise.

• Robertus
    Options
    Hi everyone,

3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is--the more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course--but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way.

I have a feeling that the OP is maybe about 20 Lbs overweight and she thinks she's going to lose all of that in 4 weeks. I can't believe that you're actually irresponsible enough to tell her this is actually a good idea. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

How do you propose she safely create the necessary deficit to lose that much weight in such a short period of time?

There is no way for her to safely create the necessary deficit.
    Why do you think that this deficit is necessarily unsafe?

• MMitchell13
    Options
    You might not reach your goal, but how bad can it be to focus your energy and effort to go as far as you can? Listen to your body. Eat when you need to . STOP exercising if your body says so and good luck. You can do anything fora month.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

640.gif
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you should have started months ago. But worse off, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. In 1 month you can reasonable get off another 5lbs. No amount of support or motivation is going to help.

Exactly this. If you starve for a month you might lose 10.
    I've done that.
    I don't think 20 is possible though.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

You-Are-Really-Dumb-Antoine-Dodson-Gif.gif
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

giphy.gif
  • lesliewalker108
    lesliewalker108 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    losing weight too fast is not good. As much as we all would love to lose 20lbs in a month, slow and steady is best. I get so impatient sometimes my self because the scale is not budging,then I look back at when I was 210 and now see 200-202 and say wow at least I lost something, and something is better then nothing.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You could probably lose 10-12 pounds between now and then. Add getting some sun in with losing weight and you'd LOOK 20 pounds lighter. (That's assuming that tans actually make you look smaller. Never tested the stories, though) :)
  • Robertus
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

If she's aiming for a 5lb/week loss, then telling her to go ahead and do this while touting things like nutrition, eating enough and aiming for more fat than muscle loss is contradictory.

So basically, you're kind of a hypocrite for calling other people naysayers when your advice, ultimately, mirrors theirs as well.
    It is not contradictory. She needs enough nutrition to sustain her work-outs. She does not need enough calories to sustain her current weight.

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    jlahorn wrote: »
    That being said start your journey today.

That's not a journey, that's a death march.

What? Her goal is to loose 20 pounds. How is that death march?

Did you read anywhere in my comment I said "loose 20 pounds in x days"?

Are you quoting me for the heck of it or are you trolling?

EDTA: And taking my comment; snipping it to work in your favor so as to make it look like a conspiracy will be reported for moderation. I have zero tolerance for messing with my comments to fit them as anyone would feel them needed.

...?

I think you're inferring a lot of intention and meaning that isn't there.

Her "journey", as she described it, involves losing 20lbs in 4 weeks. On of the common-use definitions for "death march", is "a project where the members feel it is destined to fail, or requires a stretch of unsustainable overwork." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_march_(project_management)

I have no idea where you're getting anything about a conspiracy.

• Robertus
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding. She and her doctor are responsible for her health, and this was done by me in a healthy way in the opinion of me and my doctor.

If you look at her profile and her pic, she has 25 lbs to go. She wants to lose 20 of that in 4 weeks. She is close to goal weight. The hardest weight to lose are those "last ten pounds". So... yes, you may have been able to do it, but you are not her. You aren't even the same gender.

Telling her that she can make it, because you did, is simply ridiculous. You have NONE of the same variables!
    Depends on whether her goal is some type of ideal or minimal weight for her or if it is simply a goal or milestone. I don't think I told her she can do it because I did. She can only do it because of what she will do.

• cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to agree so far that 20 lbs in one month is a bit sketchy. But that doesn't mean you can't lose a few pounds which might help you feel more confident in that swimsuit. Google "so you only lost a pound". You can see visually what one pound of fat looks like. That being said, maybe, just maybe 4-5 little pounds lost in one month will have a bigger impact than you expect. The main thing is that if you did somehow manage to lose 20 pounds in that time frame, you are going to end up looking and feeling pretty awful. I know it's not what you want to hear but I urge you to listen to the veterans on here. Do it the right way, shoot for a more realistic goal and delight in the fact that 4-5 pounds of weight loss will definitely make a difference in how you look and feel but in a positive way. Calorie goal with a REALISTIC deficit and exercise, exercise, exercise! Good luck, dear. :smiley:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    she wants to lose 20 pounds
    20pounds * 3500 cals (amt of cals in a pound) = 70,000
    29 days (May 16 - today)

She would need a deficit of 70,000/29=2413.7931 cals per day
    Assuming she stays at 1200 cals, then she would need to burn, on average 1200 calories a day and NOT eat them back. And if that were the case, she would be essentially netting zero.

Is my math wrong?

If it is, please tell me what I'm messing up.

If it isn't, then PLEASE tell me, @robertus, how that is safe for a 25 year old woman with only 25 extra pounds on her frame to be HEALTHY and survive on that kind of deficit for a whole freaking month.

Perhaps you should also read up on the affects of insanely low calorie intake as it relates to women and their reproductive systems. How it can fvck up menstruation, hormone levels, bone density.

Seriously, back away from the OP, and get the hell off her friend's list. She doesn't need your "support".
  • Robertus
    Options
    Hi everyone,

3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is, but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way. The more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course.

Right. That's about a 2300 calories deficit A DAY. And, on top of that, she needs to have the energy required to "focus on fitness." Sorry, no way this is happening in a healthy way no matter how focused she is at the gym or in the kitchen. It's a very aggressive plan that will lead to bingeing in most people.
    Well, of course, she must avoid binging.
    Yeah and the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

I agree with wolfman. You should be ashamed of yourself for giving false hope that this can actually happen without negative repercussions. ESPECIALLY since she only has 25 pounds to lose.
    Her chances of avoiding binging are entirely dependent upon her enthusiasm, dedication, and the strength of her resolve. I am not ashamed of people who have such personal qualities. Following the advice of her physician and nutritionist she can certainly avoid any and all negative repercussions. I am not ashamed of giving her false hope. I do not recommend false hope.

So, now you are saying that someone who can't adhere to this crazy plan isn't enthusiastic or dedicated? Enthusiasm and dedication only go so far when you are STARVING.

But, hey, keep defending yourself. You're just digging a deeper hole.
    I never said any such thing! Please do not misrepresent what I said. She has the motivation. This is her plan. If she can sustain her motivation to do what is necessary in a healthy way, it will be a testament to her enthusiasm, dedication, and the strength of her resolve. Other people have their own plans and are responsible for dedicating themselves appropriately and in accord with their wishes.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

If she's aiming for a 5lb/week loss, then telling her to go ahead and do this while touting things like nutrition, eating enough and aiming for more fat than muscle loss is contradictory.

So basically, you're kind of a hypocrite for calling other people naysayers when your advice, ultimately, mirrors theirs as well.
    It is not contradictory. She needs enough nutrition to sustain her work-outs. She does not need enough calories to sustain her current weight.

Could you please break that down in calories? What is enough nutrition to sustain her work-outs but not her current weight?

As others have said, she would need a 2300 calorie deficit per day to lose 20 pounds in 4 weeks. A 150-pound 5’7” 23-year old woman would burn about 2400 calories per day, with exercising 5 times a week (according to IIFYM TDEE calculator). How exactly do you propose this 2300 calorie deficit be achieved? Is 100 calories of food per day enough nutrition? I’m just confused. I think you mean well, but consider for a second what you’re saying - it’s just not feasible.

OP, listen to the excellent advice to revise your goal and focus on the long run. You’re a beautiful lady and you don’t need to be 20 lbs lighter to look great at this wedding. Get healthier for yourself and for the long run. You can absolutely do it if you set a goal that’s sustainable and you stick to it.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That being said start your journey today.

That's not a journey, that's a death march.

What? Her goal is to loose 20 pounds. How is that death march?

Did you read anywhere in my comment I said "loose 20 pounds in x days"?

Are you quoting me for the heck of it or are you trolling?

EDTA: And taking my comment; snipping it to work in your favor so as to make it look like a conspiracy will be reported for moderation. I have zero tolerance for messing with my comments to fit them as anyone would feel them needed.

...?

I think you're inferring a lot of intention and meaning that isn't there.

Her "journey", as she described it, involves losing 20lbs in 4 weeks. On of the common-use definitions for "death march", is "a project where the members feel it is destined to fail, or requires a stretch of unsustainable overwork." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_march_(project_management)

I have no idea where you're getting anything about a conspiracy.

I don't care what Dr Wiki says about anything ...

The question is you had absolute no need to snip my entire post and take one sentence out of it and quote me to fit your views.

Unless are in mood to start a conspiracy or conversing for the heck of it.

Stop. Just Stop and leave **my comment alone**.
  • Robertus
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Why not just answer my question and we can have serious discussion about what is and what is not safe and why.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    she wants to lose 20 pounds
    20pounds * 3500 cals (amt of cals in a pound) = 70,000
    29 days (May 16 - today)

She would need a deficit of 70,000/29=2413.7931 cals per day
    Assuming she stays at 1200 cals, then she would need to burn, on average 1200 calories a day and NOT eat them back. And if that were the case, she would be essentially netting zero.

Is my math wrong?

If it is, please tell me what I'm messing up.

If it isn't, then PLEASE tell me, @robertus, how that is safe for a 25 year old woman with only 25 extra pounds on her frame to be HEALTHY and survive on that kind of deficit for a whole freaking month.

Perhaps you should also read up on the affects of insanely low calorie intake as it relates to women and their reproductive systems. How it can fvck up menstruation, hormone levels, bone density.

Seriously, back away from the OP, and get the hell off her friend's list. She doesn't need your "support".

GIF-agree-approval-approves-nod-Oh-Yes-satisfied-Snoop-Snoop-Dogg-yep-yes-GIF.gif