Who's made the best hummus? & would not mind sharing the recipe :)

Options
111grace
111grace Posts: 382 Member
I have never made hummus and would love to try making it. Lots of people on Mfp seem to be eating it, because its low in calories? is this true? how many calories does it work out too? Thanking all recipes shared with a heartfelt hugs & much appreciation :)

Replies

• Annalisamaria96
    Annalisamaria96 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sabra Hummus is fantastic and there are a bunch of different flavors. I love hummus with carrots or cucumbers because it's a good mid-day snack. Just always make sure you take only the serving size and put the rest of the package away because once you start dipping right into the package it will be gone within one meal :D
  • hnm921
    hnm921 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm love Sabra as well. My favorite is the spinach and artichoke flavor! Like the above poster says, I portion out the serving size (or sometimes 2 if it's within my calories). I like to eat mine with toasted pita chips! Such a yummy and filling snack!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hummus is easy to make, but I admit I'm lazy and buy Trader Joe's Original (it's made without tahini... I don't like the taste of tahini). Because it's made without tahini, it's a little lower in calories than most other hummus.

Basically, experiment. Take a can of chickpeas, drain and rinse them. Throw them in the food processor. Add some fresh garlic. Chop it up before you add it. Add some fresh lemon juice. Add tahini if you like it (about 2-3 tbsp). I've made hummus with peanut butter instead of tahini. It was delicious. 1 teaspoon of cumin. Salt. Whiz it all up. Some people add extra oil if it's too thick. Some people add water. I always preferred more lemon juice.

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten around to making any yet, but budget bytes has several recipes for hummus.

I like Sabra's roasted red pepper and garlic flavors and usually dip carrots, snap peas, and mini peppers.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the texture of hummus. I made some with canned large butterbeans that was great...
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I just make my own. I use the recipe at the chocolate & zucchini blog. It's a lot cheaper to make your own, and it tastes so much better that's it's hard to believe the ready-made stuff (even the good stuff) is the same thing, plus I know exactly what's in it. I soak and cook chickpeas (and other beans) in batches (they're useful to add to other dishes not just dips). If you have a rice cooker or pressure cooker it makes it easier too.
  • futuremommyt
    futuremommyt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Large can of chickpeas rinsed. Throw in food processor with a couple of cloves of garlic, salt and pepper, and if you have any flavorings lying around, add those too (I like adding cilantro, parsley, kalamata olives, basil, or anything lying around). Add maybe a tablespoon of tahini -- it's strong stuff. Then blend it while drizzling in some water. Most people use EVOO but I think it unnecessarily adds a lot more calories. Then eat with some giardeniera, Triscuits, and sharp cheddar. My lunch every Sunday with my husband!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    sabra is my jam. Also hannah hummus singles at costco. Its not very low in calories, but it is high in delicousness.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Large can of chickpeas rinsed. Throw in food processor with a couple of cloves of garlic, salt and pepper, and if you have any flavorings lying around, add those too (I like adding cilantro, parsley, kalamata olives, basil, or anything lying around). Add maybe a tablespoon of tahini -- it's strong stuff. Then blend it while drizzling in some water. Most people use EVOO but I think it unnecessarily adds a lot more calories. Then eat with some giardeniera, Triscuits, and sharp cheddar. My lunch every Sunday with my husband!

This^^^^ I don't even add tahini(never liked it much) I add some of the juice from the can to help smooth it out. Best I have made was roasted jalapeno cilantro lime, with a little roasted garlic.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My favourite brand is Fontaine Sante. Whether or not it is low in calories is relative. I think 2 tablespoons is 70 calories for this brand, but I could easily eat half a container. I've tried making my own before, but it just never tastes right and I end up using too much olive oil (adding in too many calories...).

As someone else stated, hummus is not necessarily low in calories, but it is high in deliciousness.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I quit buying hummus at the store because it's crazy expensive compared to making it at home. Sabra especially since they use soybean oil, which is cheap, instead of olive oil.

One drained can of chickpeas, 1-2 cloves of garlic, tbs of lemon juice, 1-2 tbls of tahini, as much extra virgin olive oil as you prefer (I usually use a couple tbs), a bit of salt. Dump it all in the food processor, blend for a minute and it's done. If it's too thick, add a little water or more oil, depending on your preference.

Sometimes I'll add other stuff (jalapeno, roasted red pepper, avocado, other types of beans, ,etc) but I usually just keep it simple and basic.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 380 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've tried many variations, but this is the recipe for the hummus my family and friends like best:

1/3 cup tahini
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2-3 cloves garlic
    1 tsp. salt
    2 15 oz. cans chick peas - drain and rinse (reserve liquid from one can)

Process tahini with lemon juice, salt and minced garlic for about 1 minute. Add chick peas, and 3 T. of the reserved liquid. Process for about 3-4 minutes (more if chick peas need it). If needed add more liquid to achieve desired consistency. I like to top it with a drizzle of olive oil and chopped fresh cilantro.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    2 cups c. peas (soak overnight, boil for an hour or until tender, throw in some salt last 10 min or so)
    1/4 c tahini
    2-5 garlic cloves ( wed lurvve garlic)
    Juice of 2 ish lemons ( more juice makes more tang, adjust based on mood)
    1/4 or more water
    1/2 tsp sea salt, or more if needed

Blend, eat.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love hummus too and always buy the Sabra brand but it's gone up in price and I find is super-expensive considering the ingredient list and the amount in the container. I recently bought an electric pressure cooker and am going to try cooking my own chickpeas and then making hummus at the fraction of the cost. I'm sure it'll take a few tries to get it to my taste but I think it'll be worthwhile if only for the freshness of it.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    • 4.00 clove(s), Garlic, sliced
    • 2.00 tsp(s), Ground Cumin
    • 3.00 tbsp(s), Sesame Tahini
    • 3.00 tbsp(s), Lemon juice
    • 1.00 tbsp(s), Soy sauce (I use Braggs liquid aminos)
    • 0.50 tsp(s), Sea Salt
    • 1/3c Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    • 2 x 15oz. cans No Salt Added Chick Peas
    • 1/4 cool water
    Mix the olive oil with the garlic and cumin in small saucepan. Cook over med low heat until garlic softens but don't let brown. Let cool. Put the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, soy sauce and salt in a food processor. Use a fork to fish the softened garlic out of the oil and add to chickpea mix (save oil). Turn the machine on and let run for a few seconds and then slowly pour the oil into the chick pea mix. Pour the water in. Stop machine and scrape sides and continue processing until hummus is creamy and almost smooth. Season to taste.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Sabra and summer fresh
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    WOW WOW I made the hummus for the first time, tastes super delicious, cannot believe how easy & simple it is to make, & it makes so much, yummy yum yum :) To the basic recipe, I added sun-dried tomatoes & pepper-dews & feta, etc what ever I had, lol, except the kitchen sink. It was superb :) So very repeatable :). Going to try olives next time. And going to give the butter-beans a whirl. Very nice idea to fry the garlic, going to do that next time. Thank you all you Gorgeous people for sharing much appreciation & {{ big hugs :) }}
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite, and it's never steered me wrong. Fresh is so much better than store-bought, especially if you don't skimp on the olive oil. Because it's just the two of us and I'm the only one who eats it, I freeze it in to tablespoon size squares and break one off daily to defrost in my lunch bag. This past time I spread the hummus in a tin tray and scored it in to squares. It worked beautifully.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/35059/leahs-homemade-authentic-hummus.html
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've made hummus in the past abd didn't care for the texture...i couldn't get it smooth enough. I've since read a tip to peel the chickpeas before blending to make it smoother. It sounds like a bit of work, but I'm going to try it because the hummus prices are getting ridiculous where I shop at and they stopped making my favorite. Whichever recipe you use, you might consider peeling if you are used to a super smooth commercial brand.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Mmmm love me some hummus! :p