Thoughts on Sucralose or Aspartame in diet food?

Options
annonm
annonm Posts: 13 Member
I just had a yoplait light for the first time. It has sucarlose instead of sugar to give it less calories but i have to say, it was disgusting! I love yogurt but you can taste the sucrolose in it. Not only is it disgusting but it makes you hungrier! I am so mad I wasted my calories on it. I just want to know has anyone else ate diet food with those ingredients in it instead of real sugar and got hungrier. It also made me feel kind of sick. I don't know if that is just me or what?

Replies

• toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If i consume too much aspartame i get migraines. Some people tolerate it better than others. I just try to avoid artificial sweeteners and my progress seems to go better.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make me hungrier to eat foods with sucralose or aspartame but I don't like the aftertaste it usually leaves. I don't eat much of either for this reason.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on taste bud preference, but I absolutely love drinks with aspartame in them. I put packets of aspartame in my plain yogurt sometimes when I want it to be a bit sweeter as well.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That stuff to me is gross. But some people prefer it and it helps them.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I never use artificial sweeteners. Besides tasting horrible, they make me sick to my stomach and give me migraines in larger quantities. I'm not trying to lose weight, so the calories in real sugar aren't a big concern for me.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I don't like the aftertaste and get headaches from both so I avoid them.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make me hungrier but it does have an after taste.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'll happily gobble down a food with fake sugar if that nasty taste has been adequately hidden. Unfortunately, that seems to be none of them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I don't eat "diet food"...I just eat food. I don't ingest artificial sweeteners, I prefer the real deal. I think artificial sweeteners make food taste like *kitten*.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Diet mtn dew. Everyday.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic type 2 in remission, I use artificial sweeteners almost exclusively. I can't tell the difference any more. Artificial sweeteners do not make me hungry. Intensive cardio makes me hungry.
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yuck. I wouldn't touch those chemical sweeteners, personally.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

"In the United States, artificial sweeteners such as aspartame are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). These products must be tested for safety and approved by the FDA before they can be used. The FDA also sets an acceptable daily intake (ADI) for each sweetener, which is the maximum amount considered safe to consume each day during a person's lifetime. The ADI is set to be about 100 times less than the smallest amount that might cause health concerns, based on studies done in lab animals.

The FDA has set the ADI for aspartame at 50 milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg) of body weight. The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), which regulates food additives in the European Union, recommends a slightly lower ADI for aspartame, at 40 mg/kg.

To put the ADI for aspartame in perspective, this would be 3,750 milligrams per day for a typical adult weighing 75 kilograms (about 165 pounds), far more than most adults take in daily. A 12 ounce can of diet soda usually contains about 192 milligrams of aspartame and a packet of the tabletop sweetener contains about 35mg. An adult weighing 165 pounds would have to drink more than 19 cans of diet soda a day or consume more than 107 packets to go over the recommended level."

Unless you have phenylketonuria (PKU), a genetic disorder which prevents you from breaking down a component of aspartame that can lead to issues (rare, and you would be tested for it), there is no health risk associated with aspartame as an artificial sweetener.

If you're guzzling down 19+ cans of soda a day or 107+ packets of sugar a day, you're going to have a lot of other health problems before you have to worry about the sweetener specifically, haha.

If you're just asking taste/preference wise, I don't like diet soda...but I also don't really like regular soda that much haha so hard to tell, and I don't put sugar in my coffee.
  • lesliewalker108
    lesliewalker108 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not the regular sugar is better for me then the artifical sugar.I get so sick. And believe it or not I was drinking those lipton ice tea water enhancers in my water and got so sick. Those things have something in them that are not good.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think both sweeteners taste awful.

Personally, if I want sugar free, I don't try for sweet. If I want sweet, I use sugar, maple syrup, or honey.

If you don't like sucralose (aka Splenda), do be careful and read labels. They sneak that stuff into all kinds of foods without warning. Yuck. I got caught out by the Yoplait light as well...seems pointless to add the splenda when there are other 100 cal yogurts that don't resort to artificial sweeteners.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't like most sugar free things because of the taste, although I do chew sugar-free gum with aspartame and I haven't noticed anything like making me hungier or feeling ill.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't eat "diet" foods or drink "diet" drinks. On the other hand I don't consume a lot of sugar either and don't drink soda. My drinks are black coffee, water, and Earl Grey tea.

Edit to fix spelling.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    LOL at "Early Grey Tea". I can see an early tea scented with oil of bergamot might be best taken earlier rather than later. I tell you, Siri spellcheck has a lot of work cut out for her if she is going to make heads or tails of the English language.