Did I totally misunderstand?

Options
So I have the feeling that I've totally misunderstood how I'm supposed to up my maintenance calories. :frowning:

I don't know how, since I've been reading a lot of the threads in here, but I've been raising my calories 100 a week. Should I have been adding 100 a day?

I'm feeling kind of like an idiot if that is the case. :anguished:

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yeah. You should be adding 100 to every day. So if you were losing on 1200, you'd eat 1300 every day for a week. Then 1400 every day for a week, and so on until you stop losing.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, I believe it should be per day...

100/week is only about 14 extra per day, which is like a piece of gum lol
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 100 per day per week? I feel like when people say "100 per week" that's really what they mean. Eg eat 1300 calories every day for a week, 1400 every day the next week, etc. until you reach maintenance.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 100 per day per week? I feel like when people say "100 per week" that's really what they mean. Eg eat 1300 calories every day for a week, 1400 every day the next week, etc. until you reach maintenance.
    That's what I thought. :frowning:
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Well, off topic here but Wow, I really want to know about your before and after photo. How much time/how much weight lost in between?? I'm sorry, I'm really curious. That's awesome!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    When people say add 100 each week. You should add 100 to your daily total every day for one week, then the next week, add another 100, etc until you reach your maintenance number. So for example, at a 250 deficit to lose 1/2lb per week, and say the goal at that deficit was 1500, week 1 of transition you eat 1600 every day, week 2 you eat 1700 every day, week 3 you eat 1750 every day. Then wait and keep adding if you continue to lose.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd jump up to maintenance then keep pushing calories up week by week...
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I jumped up about 600 more calories a day immediately. My TDEE is around 2300-2400. I jumped right up to around 2000 then just eat over that if I'm still hungry. I'm still working on maintenance... I've lost 6 lb since I started trying to maintain about 6 weeks ago. I'm still in disbelief of how high my maintenance calories are.

Anywho... When I immediately started adding those 600ish extra calories... My weight went up a pound then has been going down ever since.

I was too eager to eat more
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You can do it either way. I did the same as RosieRose - bam up to maintenance. It's been about 4 weeks and seems to be going ok. My maintenance level is about 500-600 calories lower than RR so I still have to be watchful.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I went up by 250 a day for a year and was maintaining (I had been losing super slowly by the end and was satisfied). Then summer came and I dropped 5 pounds and upped it the other 250 and have been there since.
  • krissyreminisce
    Options
    Ugh, I feel pretty stupid. :weary: I'm going to start upping them tomorrow ( I figured I might as well finish out the week as I am) but man. I hope my maintenance calories are decent. I'm starting to get hungrier. Lol.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I upped by 50 every three months or so... but I'm small and sedentary :/
  • krissyreminisce
    Options
    Ah, I'm small and I have a job where I sit for 10 hours a day but I also run 30+ miles a week plus strength training. So hopefully more calories will help me. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling kind of like an idiot if that is the case. :anguished:
    No need to feel that way. It's new ground for you and asking will help you get the right answer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    They mean raise it 100 (or whatever it is) each week - not each day.

Week 1 - go from say 1,600 to 1,700
    Week 2 - 1,700 to 1,800
    Week 3 - 1,800 to 1,900

and so on.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I've crept up very, very slowly, but then again I'm middle aged and really short. I think for most people without any endocrine disorders, the increase of 100 cal is about right. Like say you were eating 1200 every day, you change to 1300 every day, staying at that level for a week. Then the next week you would change to 1400 a day, and continue like that until you stop losing weight and maintain steady.