Best (reasonable) weight loss tip you've used- go!

Options

Replies

• galengentry
    galengentry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Weigh once a week. Take your waist measurement every morning before you eat. Weigh your food to ensure caloric deficit. Stop eating several hours before you go to bed.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Don't quit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Oh here's another: Don't weigh yourself 10 times a day. Don't even weigh once a day. Do it once a week and measure yourself and keep track.
    Agreed. Notice a couple of commenters mentioned "patience"? Nothing makes me more impatient than jumping on the scale looking for miniscule decreases! I'm encouraged that I actually meant to weigh in this morning for the week... and I forgot! :)

This reminds me of my other bit of advice: What works for your friend may not work for you. Whether that's weighing once a week vs. weighing daily or running vs. elliptical or SL5x5 vs. doing yoga or following SL5x5 vs. Strong Curves, everybody is different and not everything is one size fits all. Ask around to get general advice but experiment to figure out your own best practices.

• GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Two parts: 1) It takes 3500 calories burned to lose a pound and 2) you'd burn 12 times your weight in 24 hours if all you did was lay in bed. Using those two, I budget my calories (to 12 x my goal weight) and try to do more than lay around in bed all day. (And I put it all in a spreadsheet.)
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle, not a diet.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Only make changes you can really see yourself doing forever.

This. If I can't see myself doing it forever, I'm not going to stick with it.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Consume fewer calories than you use.

/thread
  • ritodcin03
    ritodcin03 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that this is not something I have to do, this is something that I get to do for myself. No one is going to be devastated if I'm not under my calorie goal or don't go to the gym or jiggle when I run or continue to wear a size 16/18. This isn't a work deadline that my boss is demanding or a famly obligation that is a huge time suck. Making the decision to change my body means I get to focus on me and put myself first. It's kind of nice. :-)
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Choose exercise that you actually enjoy.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I can't really see myself eating at a deficit forever.

Focus more on how much of something you eat, not so much on what you eat, as long as you get sufficient nutrition.

• Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Choose exercise that you actually enjoy.

This too! I hate exercise if I don't have fun with it.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I can't really see myself eating at a deficit forever.

Focus more on how much of something you eat, not so much on what you eat, as long as you get sufficient nutrition.

Don't be pedantic :)

• lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Another MFP member said this to me and it really hit home

This is a journey not a race.

Perfect.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Don't even weigh once a day.

I weigh myself everyday and I think if everyone did they wouldn't freak out when they gain 0.4 pounds because they would learn about weight fluctuation.

It seems the ones that 'go nuts' are the ones that only weigh once per week...or less.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Understand that weightloss is NOT linear ... it is an ebb and flow experience. Don't overthink everything. Make a commitment and stick to it. Believe in yourself. Forgive yourself. And MOVE your body in a way that makes you feel good about yourself.

Everybody is different. My 149.5 pounds is not someone else's 149.5 pounds. It is just a number, and unless you share it like I just did, nobody knows your number. So ... focus on the things that make your eyes shine!

Find the thread on here about the unexpected results of weightloss - read it regularly. People here are inspirational!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    ...3) "Saying 'oops I ate something I shouldn't have, better give up for today' is like saying 'oops I dropped my phone, better stomp on it until it breaks'"

Haha - I love this!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Don't even weigh once a day.

I weigh myself everyday and I think if everyone did they wouldn't freak out when they gain 0.4 pounds because they would learn about weight fluctuation.

It seems the ones that 'go nuts' are the ones that only weigh once per week...or less.

I also think the appropriate frequency of weighing depends a bit on your personality, do you have a tendency for obsessiveness? Daily weighing could be problematic. Do you have a tendency towards avoidance and wishful thinking? Daily weighing can greatly help your focus.

I weigh every morning. It is helpful to really see the trends and see through the fluctuations. It also helps me to stay focused.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Eat less move more
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    I'm not a weigher (but I have to - so, once a week for me). About the weighing: be aware of trends. Know (females) what havoc your period (week before ... week of) has on your number. Know that you may weigh more the day after heavy weightlifting and less after a 10-mi run outside in July ... but keep track of you-specific trends.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Make changes that you can live with forever.