1 Year Anniversary - 130 lbs lost - Before / After Pictures - Story (LONG POST)

Options
drwaddy
drwaddy Posts: 50 Member
Hello fellow pal's,

Last January, 2014, I moved into a new house, and my brother got the bright idea of buying a digital scale, since we left our old one at the previous location. I'm still not sure why he decided to do that because we were both extremely obese. I stepped on the scale for the first time, and looked down to see 408... I immediately felt ashamed that I had let myself get to that point, it was unusual for me because prior to that moment I had never really cared about my weight.

Like many other Americans I had convinced myself that it was just genetics and I wasn't really that fat etc... I realized in that moment that all of those lies I had been telling myself, I was no longer going to accept. I WAS going to make a difference and I set out immediately on this journey.

The reason April is my Anniversary and not January is because it took me a couple of months to really get going, I did some research and got myself a gym membership etc, I started going to the gym and I told myself I don't care how stupid I feel or ugly etc, I was just going to do SOMETHING every day.

After a few months of just working out at the gym, doing some walking and doing the weight circuit at Planet Fitness, I realized I was going to have to make some serious diet changes. I had tried several diets before, but what really stuck for me was the IIFYM diet. Basically, eat what you want, just don't eat more calories than you burn and watch your protein levels... I could do that!

I stuck with the IIFYM diet until January of this year, using myfitnesspal to track my macros and calories, it REALLY opened my mind to just how expensive calorie wise some foods are. I have switched to Atkins recently after determining that I have a high sensitivity to carbs and feel fuller / more energetic on a high fat diet.

I am somewhat of a workaholic, so I don't really want to cook and eat a clean diet. The majority of my meals are out, either drive through or other restaurants, so it's not like you have to eat kael to lose weight, although you will be more healthy and I'm not advocating for my choice, simply explaining it's no excuse to not lose weight. I just got my blood work results back a few weeks ago and I have completely normal levels across the board, my blood pressure is great, sugar levels etc, and my doctor is very happy with where I am now.

I could not have made it to where I am now if it wasn't for the IIFYM diet and myfitnesspal, I owe both of these sites a lot. The reason I wanted to share my story is that I hope it inspires someone else out there who is where I was, that it shows how you can make a difference despite genetics and you don't have to do it

Unfortunately, I do have an umbilical hernia, some gnarly stretch marks, and I've always had excess tissue in my chest, which I believe I'll need surgery to fix, so I'm no swim suit model or anything, but compared to where I was before, it's night and day:

Before / After from the Front:

bfbd715u6rtl.jpg

jhklou1gruje.jpg

Before / After from the Side:

c1xllyk4iqm5.jpg

ofgr5157sq9l.jpg

I still have about 25 lbs left to go for my goal, I'm hoping to be there around August / September!

Replies

• Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!! Keep Freaking Rocking!!
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Very impressive - I actually think your body/skin condition after losing that much weight isn't very noticable (at least in these pics).
    I would give it more time, some weight training and then reaccess. Either way this is a massive accomplishment.
  • angelicminxiemoo
    angelicminxiemoo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well done, you have done a fantastic job!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Great job.
  • LisaPrust
    LisaPrust Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing this. SO proud of you, and HAPPY for your success! Never go back! Your story and pix will bring hope to many, thanks again for sharing.
  • Lostcoastline
    Lostcoastline Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You look great! Seriously don't worry about not looking like a model, the average person (most everyone) isn't a model.... We just doll our selves up in photos. I personally don't do clothes less photos, I applaud you for showing your progress like that.
  • cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely AWESOME!! Congratulations on all your hard work paying off!!
  • drwaddy
    drwaddy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    drwaddy wrote: »
    I could not have made it to where I am now if it wasn't for the IIFYM diet and myfitnesspal, I owe both of these sites a lot. The reason I wanted to share my story is that I hope it inspires someone else out there who is where I was, that it shows how you can make a difference despite genetics and you don't have to do it

Woops, apparently I lost my train of thought. I was finishing that paragraph by saying that you don't have to lose the weight by giving up everything you want to eat, you can eat what you want. :)

• MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Flipping heck you've done grand lad!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Wow, Congratulations! You look great, I hope you feel great too!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Excellent work, congratulations!
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Absolutely incredible job! Pat yourself on the back! Be proud! And i think you look great!
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    excellent!! you look great!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • agrant85
    agrant85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great work! This is especially motivating to me, because I feel like I should feel guilty for eating sweets or foods that I enjoy, even though I'm under my calorie goal. :)
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Wow, you have done an amazing job! Keep up the good work!
  • Orochimarusi
    Orochimarusi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Looking good, what an incredible job! Losing weight isn't easy and you've already made it this far:) Losing that remaining 25 lbs is just moments away;) I believe in you.
  • joyThegymmonster777
    joyThegymmonster777 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thats awwsome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!