Interesting quiz: What's your Habit Personality?

Options

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Upholder
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    REBEL
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Questioner. I think that's pretty accurate, I need to understand the reasons behind the things I do.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    My outcome was Rebel... If I tilt my head to the side, I can see it.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Rebel.

I don't feel like I fit any of the categories though.

But that just might be the rebel in me, huh?

Where is the category for "I refuse to do anything even if it's something I truly want to do because I'm generally lazy and I follow through with nothing and simply wish to exist within wherever the wind blows me."
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I'm a Rebel. WOOOOO.

Except I suspect that the answers I gave that didn't fit "Rebel" fit "Obliger." Which means I'm pretty conflicted, LOL.

Yes exactly! I'm pretty sure I would have been the Rebel if I wasn't the Obliger.

Actually, wait, no. This is what bothers me about the test: A lot of the questions have no bearing on how I form habits.

Wearing a collared shirt is not a habit. It's a compliance with authority issue. I never committed to Collared Shirt Fridays and I give exactly zero ****s about wearing a collared shirt, but I like wearing a collared shirt more than I like being hassled by HR.

Attending a BS training meeting is not a habit. I never made a resolution that I was going to go, and I give exactly zero ****s about the meeting.

If I make a commitment to someone, I feel Obliged to meet it. If I don't, I'm inclined to say "screw it" ( like the meeting). If someone's going to give me a lot of grief about it (like the shirt) I'll just wear the damn thing so everyone leaves me alone.

Because most of all? I'm highly motivated by not having to interact with other humans.

I'm a people pleaser who absolutely hates being TOLD what to do.

I want to do it on my own and dysfunctionally "earn" love and acceptance on my own terms.

Crap. back to therapy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Upholder
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A little about how each habit type can find success on MFP:

Upholders probably have the easiest time sticking to weight loss and exercise plans if they simply decide to make these things part of their habits. They're the ones who likely respond best to "just do it". If you're an upholder, deciding to schedule calorie tracking or workouts into your routine, and focusing on the how, probably work best for you. Fitbits and trackers and convenience meal plans are useful for upholders, since these things help them with their habit forming. External support is helpful for upholders, especially at the beginning, but they're likely fine without it too because once they decide to lose weight, they just do it.

Questioners probably need to understand the 'why' instead of the 'how'. They will lose weight not because their doctor tells them to or because of any external expectations, but because they understand the reasons -- the health implications, or the logic. They also are the people who do best by taking control of the process by understanding why it works; the science or math behind CICO, the ability to manipulate calories based on diet or exercise choices. If you're a questioner, you're probably also a skeptic, and less likely to accept all the fad diet or quick fix ideas out there. Once you understand why it works, you'll probably do fine, with or without external support.

Rebels are probably the ones who are most likely to avoid wanting to lose weight if they feel pressured by the people around them or by society's expectations to do so. "Screw you, I'm not going to turn into some skinny media ideal just because you tell me to" might have been their rebel-minded reason for not doing it sooner. The best way to motivate yourself as a rebel? Set yourself a challenge. Get someone else to say (or say to yourself) "hey, I bet you can't lose the weight / deadlift 100lbs / run a half-marathon". Then prove yourself wrong, because nobody -- not even you -- is gonna tell you that you can't do something, amirite? Finding exercise you love is another great way for a rebel to do something because you want to run / lift / train / dance. If you're doing it because you enjoy it, not because anyone expects you to, you're more likely to stick with it. Rebels often do best when they have a lack of support, or even negative support, since people doubting them tends to motivate them more than people supporting them.

Obligers are usually the ones who find the most success by creating external accountability. Saying "I'm going to lose weight so I can be there for my children" or "I'm going to the gym because I made a commitment to my friend that we'd go twice a week and I don't want to let her down" can be powerful motivators. If you recognize that you're an obliger, you probably want to seek out as much external support as possible. Obligers respond well to group diet pledges, team sports, or anything where failure to stick to their MFP plan would let someone else down.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thanks @segacs!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Holy crap... I am a REBEL...

nwqt3vxguulo.jpg

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Upholder, but I'm definitely a confused mix, as you can guess what the answers correspond to pretty easily.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Oh man. I am such a rebel cliche
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    A little about how each habit type can find success on MFP:

Upholders probably have the easiest time sticking to weight loss and exercise plans if they simply decide to make these things part of their habits. They're the ones who likely respond best to "just do it". If you're an upholder, deciding to schedule calorie tracking or workouts into your routine, and focusing on the how, probably work best for you. External support is helpful for upholders, especially at the beginning, but they're likely fine without it too because once they decide to lose weight, they just do it.

Questioners probably need to understand the 'why' instead of the 'how'. They will lose weight not because their doctor tells them to or because of any external expectations, but because they understand the reasons -- the health implications, or the logic. They also are the people who do best by taking control of the process by understanding why it works; the science or math behind CICO, the ability to manipulate calories based on diet or exercise choices. If you're a questioner, you're probably also a skeptic, and less likely to accept all the fad diet or quick fix ideas out there. Once you understand why it works, you'll probably do fine, with or without external support.

Rebels are probably the ones who are most likely to avoid wanting to lose weight if they feel pressured by the people around them or by society's expectations to do so. "Screw you, I'm not going to turn into some skinny media ideal just because you tell me to" might have been their rebel-minded reason for not doing it sooner. The best way to motivate yourself as a rebel? Set yourself a challenge. Get someone else to say (or say to yourself) "hey, I bet you can't lose the weight / deadlift 100lbs / run a half-marathon". Then prove yourself wrong, because nobody -- not even you -- is gonna tell you that you can't do something, amirite? Finding exercise you love is another great way for a rebel to do something because you want to run / lift / train / dance. If you're doing it because you enjoy it, not because anyone expects you to, you're more likely to stick with it. Rebels often do best when they have a lack of support, or even negative support, since people doubting them tends to motivate them more than people supporting them.

Obligers are usually the ones who find the most success by creating external accountability. Saying "I'm going to lose weight so I can be there for my children" or "I'm going to the gym because I made a commitment to my friend that we'd go twice a week and I don't want to let her down" can be powerful motivators. If you recognize that you're an obliger, you probably want to seek out as much external support as possible. Obligers respond well to diet bets, team sports, or anything where failure to stick to their MFP plan would let someone else down.

Wow, that's funny. I guess I really am an upholder. I use "just do it" all the time to get myself motivated (sometime there is an expletive in front, but still...)
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am a rebel for the most part.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I can't even answer the first question!

Yes, I've made and kept a NYR, but only one.
    I don't see Jan 1st as an arbitrary date and I've made NYR.
    I have trouble keeping NYR, but I still make them.
    Sometimes a goal date works for me.
    2fnlu79av9gs.gif
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm an upholder. Not a big surprise.
  • JordanAron
    JordanAron Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Questioner, also a bit of a rebel. I'll think about why I want to lose weight, study the concept, and weigh the pro's and cons. Then figure out how I want to do that on my own, make it work and find creative ways to do it...and I definitely fight against social norms...that incudes the food obsession forced down our throats by the media. Eat this, buy that, exploding flavours you just can't live without...um...yeah right...so why aren't you advertising carrots and broccoli? Why? Because healthy food doesn't rely upon manipulation, you buy it because you need it, not because somebody else wants you to buy it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    JordanAron wrote: »
    Questioner, also a bit of a rebel. I'll think about why I want to lose weight, study the concept, and weigh the pro's and cons. Then figure out how I want to do that on my own, make it work and find creative ways to do it...and I definitely fight against social norms...that includes the food obsession forced down our throats by the media. Eat this, buy that, exploding flavours you just can't live without...um...yeah right...so why aren't you advertising carrots and broccoli? Why? Because healthy food doesn't rely upon manipulation, you buy it because you need it, not because somebody else wants you to buy it.

All of this, yep.

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I'm an obliger. That doesn't surprise me. I have no motivation to just do something for myself. I have a gym partner and a trainer - both make me keep my "appointments" at the gym. I also added friends on MFP to have people to interact with & motivate me to log in.

I think I'm a bit of a questioner as well, I definitely like researching and finding out how things work and the science behind it all :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    YOUR SCORE: 4
    UPHOLDER
    Upholders respond readily to both outer and inner expectations: they meet deadlines and keep New Year’s resolutions without much struggle or supervision. Upholders take great satisfaction from moving smoothly through their daily schedule and their to-do lists. They meet others’ expectations—and their expectations for themselves. However, Upholders may feel uneasy when expectations aren’t clear, when they’re worried that they’re breaking the rules, or when they feel overwhelmed by expectations they seek to meet. They enjoy habits, and form habits fairly easily.