Best (reasonable) weight loss tip you've used- go!

Options
124»

Replies

• kt_simms
    kt_simms Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me, it is to learn discipline and to learn to let go.

Once the high of the motivation is gone, you have to be disciplined enough to keep going. When the plateaus hit, when you're tired, when you're bored, when no one wants to go with you, when the scale peaks instead of plummeting, when you still haven't made it into that little dress, when you just want to eat what whole tub of ice cream or your body weight in peanut butter cups and cheese ... rely on your discipline to keep you on your path.

And those times when you do succumb, take a deep breath, let it go (it's not the end of the world and it doesn't negate all the other good work you've done), pick up your discipline, and move on. Don't wallow in that place, just move on.

I think those two things will get me to where I want to be and will help me maintain.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not an emergency.
    I like that :)
  • jskyjse
    jskyjse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Accept that this is a life style change. Once that clicks in your head...it all comes together.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Exercise. It slowed my weight loss but as soon as I started moving a lot more, I felt a lot better. Besides, what's the point of losing a freakload of weight unless I can do things I couldn't before? Also, if I exercise more, I can eat some of it back. Double win.
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Consume less calories than you burn.
  • try2again
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Oh here's another: Don't weigh yourself 10 times a day. Don't even weigh once a day. Do it once a week and measure yourself and keep track.
    Agreed. Notice a couple of commenters mentioned "patience"? Nothing makes me more impatient than jumping on the scale looking for miniscule decreases! I'm encouraged that I actually meant to weigh in this morning for the week... and I forgot! :)

This reminds me of my other bit of advice: What works for your friend may not work for you. Whether that's weighing once a week vs. weighing daily or running vs. elliptical or SL5x5 vs. doing yoga or following SL5x5 vs. Strong Curves, everybody is different and not everything is one size fits all. Ask around to get general advice but experiment to figure out your own best practices.
    I agree with this too. I was mostly speaking to my own experience, though I've noticed some people seem to ride an emotional roller coaster with the ups and downs of daily weighing and thus may be burdening themselves unnecessarily.
  • try2again
    Options
    dwpendar wrote: »
    Cutting out soda and not eating after 8pm.
    I've observed an eating cut off even when I'm not actively trying to lose weight and I firmly believe it's saved me from being twice the size I am (and has controlled a reflux problem.)
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't have the diet mentality or the "I Blew It" attitude. If you aren't on a "diet", you can't cheat on it. I'm an all or nothing person so it's hard not to think that if I have a handful of chips, that all my efforts are down the drain. Now I log it and move on. I try not to eat processed carbs or snacks but if I do, it's not going to derail my efforts. Changing my thinking keeps me from going on a weekend food binge and starting my diet again Monday.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Don't even weigh once a day.

I weigh myself everyday and I think if everyone did they wouldn't freak out when they gain 0.4 pounds because they would learn about weight fluctuation.

It seems the ones that 'go nuts' are the ones that only weigh once per week...or less.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. ~high fives you from my scale~
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If I was normally gonna eat a giant bowl of X* for lunch or dinner, instead I'll eat a tiny portion of it and a giant salad**. I'll go back and forth between the two while eating, saving X for the last bite, so I fill up and still get the satisfaction of tasty X meal. This really works for me.

Oh and a mug of hot chocolate made with cocoa powder, stevia, vanilla, and cream for dessert. Hits the spot for 50 cals.

*usually some kind of cooked veggie-centric dish already, but def with a higher caloric punch than salad. But I think this method would work even with junky food as the tiny, rich portion.
    **the low-cal, just-veg and maybe a light dressing kind without all the tasty extras
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Also, floss/brush right after meals so you're not tempted to keep munching.