pop corn help

Options
ok so i feel totally stupid...i got the secret popcorn bags and it say 110 calories for 2tsp non pooped but 15 calories per cup popped and each bag has 5 cups poped. I am confused is it 110 calories for the bag or 75. the pop corn is called pop secret 94% fat free butter microwave popcorn.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Huh. That's a good question. I think I would log the higher number, just to be on the safe side.
  • Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    this had me all confused lol how can it be one number not popped and something lower after i dont get it. and its a huge bag much bigger than the 100 calorie bags. I told my husband thats a huge back for only 75 calories lol but i ate it an enjoyed it lol i just never know how to buy pop corn bc of that thats why i always stick to the 100 cal. bags
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the bag have nutritional information per 100g or something? Measuring solid foods by volume is just asking for inaccuracies.
  • johnjay1178
    johnjay1178 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Popcorn calories have never made sense to me.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    If you eat the whole bag, go with the calories for the whole bag. You can't weigh microwave popcorn unpopped anyway without breaking the seal on the bag.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's 110 for the contents of the bag. Because some corn doesn't pop, because some of the topping is stuck to the bag it's likely not 110. Most of the topping is salt & flavoring...not oil. However, I agree with Peachy use a higher number to be on the safe side.
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    It could have something to do with the fact that you always have some "duds" in the bottom of the bag that remain unpopped. So... if you were to eat all the unpopped kernels it would be 110 calories, but if you only eat what's popped, which is typically 5 cups, it would be 75.
  • Supermom883
    Options
    why do they make it so confusing lol just say this bad is 110 calories and leave it at that lol
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love how you typo'd it to say "pooped" and "poped" lol ... I just looked at Pop Secret's website. Confusing!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    next time, buy kernels and pop them in a brown bag - so much cheaper and healthier too
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I use an air popper. Microwave popcorn tastes too fake-chemically to me now. I prefer to add my own toppings.
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    next time, buy kernels and pop them in a brown bag - so much cheaper and healthier too

I do this too! I love "dry" popcorn but my husband thinks I'm nuts.

Of course, I also love uncooked oatmeal and raw quinoa, so... there's that.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have a popcorn machine. Not very expensive and it pops kernels using hot air.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ok so i feel totally stupid...i got the secret popcorn bags and it say 110 calories for 2tsp non pooped but 15 calories per cup popped and each bag has 5 cups poped. I am confused is it 110 calories for the bag or 75. the pop corn is called pop secret 94% fat free butter microwave popcorn.

it will be 75 calories for the bag.. the store brand i buy is the same way.. i also like skinny girl popcorn.. it's a little higher calorie but delicious
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Gawd, microwave popcorn, I have read that it's different because a certain percentage of kernels don't pop and some oil stays on the bag and doesn't get eaten. But, my question is . . . air popped corn is 30 calories per cup, so the heck can microwave popcorn be half of that?! (I have some that says 15/cup also but I log it as 30)

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Popcorn nutrition labels are insane. I buy a store brand that has the calories 'per bag' on the little bags. Or if I do air popped at home, I weigh the kernels and log accordingly.

Maybe the 110 vs 75 is because they know some won't pop? Seems to me if you let the small bag in the microwave too long, it burns. Take it out early enough to avoid burning and there are a decent amount of unpopped kernels.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    i had this dilemma last night. I ate 4 cups popped but box said 2tbsp non popped = 3.5 C popped so I used non popped numbers and added 20 Cal. like judge Milian " rough justice"
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I've tried 2 different microwaves (multiple settings) .....old popcorn....fresh popcorn....without oil....with oil. At least half the kernels don't pop....not a money saver to me.

Presto Microwave Popcorn Bowl....I can add 1 teaspoon of oil....and the salt will actually stick to the corn
  • Supermom883
    Options
    lol popcorn is going to drive me crazy bc i LOVE it so much and look forward to having it everyday for a snack...why cant they just make it simple
  • Supermom883
    Options
    i will be honest when it gets to be about 8pm i am so tired that i dont want to deal with air popping pop corning id rather just grab a bag thats already counted and put in the calories and be done....lol...yeah that sounds so lazy but honest