too much protein

Options
Airbear3
Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
i'm new to MFP, been working on myself since feb, and lost 13 lbs. been on here for 6 days and lost 4! My question is on my food diary i always seem to have too much protein, will this hurt my weight loss or what will it do? P.S. thanks for all the eat your exercise calories articles, that was my problem!

Replies

• cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I think the numbers for protein and fiber are minimums. You need protein to gain muscle, which will help you burn fat.

WTG on the loss thus far!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Nope, protein is good for you and helps repair and build muscles!! This site has protein low and you can change it up in your goals section! :) Worry more about sodium, sugar, carbs and saturated/trans fats. :happy:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    MFP has protien set very low and carbs set way too high. I changed my goals to look closer to what fitness instructors have told me. 30% Carbs, 35% Protien and 35% Fat.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    ditto what they all said
  • jmatsko19
    jmatsko19 Posts: 10
    Options
    it won't hurt your weight loss goal as long as the calories are under thats the only thing that matters in terms of weight loss, too much protein will be stored as fat and can be hard on your kidneys, so if you are going over by a little no big deal, if you are going over by a lot i would address it, and eating protein does not burn fat that is incorrect
  • ellebeth
    ellebeth Posts: 1
    Options
    Good question. I have the same problem. But I'm pretty sure a little over is ok, because protein is super important for your muscles. And most protein doesn't have a lot of carbs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm usually over a little what this site thinks I should eat too. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are consistently and excessively over. Just make sure you are exercising to use the protein you consume, otherwise it will turn to fat just any other calorie.
  • calorie712
    calorie712 Posts: 15
    Options
    As long as you drink enough water the extra amount of protein will not hurt you in the least. Out of the Carb-Fat-Protein triangle protein should always be much larger then the other two. Your body can convert your protein in to glucose which virtually eliminates your need for carbs. Fat in moderation is ok but will never help you lose weight. Eat more protein and less fat and carbs and you will see the weight come off! See the Dukan Diet
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    I have been wondering that myself so I went back and looked at my journal to see. Last week I lost abut 6 pounds and I was not over on my protein one single day, this week I have been over every day and haven't lost anything. However I also was not able to work out yesterday due to an injury. So I've decided to try and do what I did last week and see if I get similar results.

Yes protein is need to build muscle but it does need to be the right kind of proteins, and unless you are a body builder you don't need to eat an abundance of it.

To get the potential weight loss benefit, experts advise aiming for around 120 grams of protein a day. If you want to increase your protein intake, do it slowly over the course of a week.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    As long as you drink enough water the extra amount of protein will not hurt you in the least. Out of the Carb-Fat-Protein triangle protein should always be much larger then the other two. Your body can convert your protein in to glucose which virtually eliminates your need for carbs. Fat in moderation is ok but will never help you lose weight. Eat more protein and less fat and carbs and you will see the weight come off! See the Dukan Diet
    I love this diet I just started Saturday and have already drop 8 pounds. Proof is in the pudding baby! and the Dukan Diet is were it is at! I eat all I want of the allowed foods and I love meat, and I never ever feel deprived because I am always so full.
  • ronny23
    ronny23 Posts: 35
    Options
    How much is too much? I have wondered for the last month, cuz i have the same problem...
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So love this site! My new facebook! Thanks all for the help! I am packing on muscle due to "yoga meltdown" and i run 3-4 miles a day. so i guess the little bit of protein is o.k.! Thanks again:smile: