A little help required backing up CICO

Options

Replies

• skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hmmm.... am I going to get flamed?

A calorie is a unit of heat energy. A caloric deficit is all that is necessary for weight loss.

The effect of a substance that you ingest in order to acquire calories is not limited to the amount of calories it provides.

How you achieve your caloric deficit a story. How you achieve it in good health a different story. How you sustain your weight loss yet another one.

MY choice between "good and bad" calories boils down to "do these 100 calories fill me up more and suit me better than these other 100 calories once I account for taste, health, money and convenience"

But, I also chose within the framework of my belief that long term weight loss is un-successful in part because it is predicated on unsustainable changes.

Now this discussion you're having blends in a whole whack of things and goes in too many directions to be useful.

Is celery healthier than a Big Mac? Not if you haven't eaten any protein and fat today. And not if you need to eat 600 calories, because you will have to eat a lot of celery to net 600 calories.

Are 134g of Avocados healthier than a 134g Egg McMuffin? The avocados are about 70 calories less; but, they have 13g less protein than the EggMcMuffin, and 9g more fat, though most of it monounsaturated. I would call it a wash since if your muscles needed repairs the Egg McMuffin would win!

Do ALL 290 calories of the EggMcMuffin happily absorb into your body? Why, yes, they do, which arguably means you got 100% of your money's worth! Celery? Not so sure. A lot of its energy gets wasted to digest it. And the fiber. It has to go somewhere. But wait: that would be good if you're constipated from the Egg Mcmuffin you ate earlier!

And nuts. The have great fats and almost magical properties. And they taste dang good. And we even poo a % of our nut calories back out (because, you know, the nut doesn't fully break down on its way out-sort of like the "net carb" concept), so the nutty "net calories" are less than we think!

Does that make Macademia nut calories better than Rotisserie Chicken calories? And how about that brown rice? I mean it has more of EVERYTHING compared to white rice. Is it good calories?

So, on to that article your friend quoted.

As you may know, at the end of a longer period of caloric restriction some metabolic adaptation takes place that is not explainable by changes in lean body mass.

In other words our metabolism slows down after we diet. By how much and for how long is still an open question.

The study (falsely advertised by a headline as proving that calories are not equal) compares three types of restrictive diets as to how much of a metabolic slow down they caused.

Of course the study wasn't particularly long term and didn't follow the participants for the year+ I've been restricting my calories; but, I digress!

One diet restricted carbohydrates (Atkins type), one restricted fat (government type) and the one that your friend advocates was the low-glycemic index diet which restricted carbohydrates that rapidly increase your blood sugar level.

The study found that the Atkins type diet had the best results when it came to metabolism adaptation, while the standard government (20% calories from fat) diet caused the greatest slow down in the participant's metabolism. The 300 calories a day figure came from comparing the two.

But, the study then goes on to recommend the third diet. The low-glycemic index diet. Which was better than the low fat diet; but, NOT as good as the Atkins type diet in terms of preventing metabolic slow down.

WHY? Well because the health outcomes of the Atkins type diet were inferior to those of the other two diets. They mentioned cortisol levels and C-reactive protein levels. And, furthermore because, let's face it, most people go back to what they used to do before they went on a diet, so long term compliance is probably the biggest issue we all face.

"Because in addition to the benefits noted in this study, we believe that low-glycemic-index diets are easier to stick to on a day-to-day basis, compared to low-carb and low-fat diets, which many people find limiting"

And now we've come full circle.

Where in all this BLEEPING wall of text has there been a discussion about a calorie not being a calorie? The discussion is about what type of food it is "better" for someone to eat in the pursuit of some type of (varying) goal.

I am happy to report to your friend that I am not using ANY restriction. Other than restricting my calories.

Which incidentally does mean that I am reducing my consumption of a whole whack of items. Including gratuitous fats, and gratuitous high-glycemic load carbs.

But the REASON I am not eating them is not because of what they are. The reason I am not eating them is because they don't provide me with a good enough bang for my caloric buck!

And I am hoping that, even though my food choices may change over time based on my daily needs, my health choices, or plain cravings, learning to operate in a calorically balanced framework will allow me to keep things heading in the direction I want.

Excellent explanation, many thanks :) And I agree the Harvard news article headline is misleading.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yet another reason why I left Facebook back in October. I couldn't and didn't want to deal with thousands of opinions on every single thing I posted. So much happier!

I must be weird...my facebook friends are all just my real friends and family in real life except many of us are separated by distance so fb makes it easy to keep in touch, post pictures of each others kids, etc....

I think I'm in the minority though judging from how many people seem to have issues with morons on facebook. I don't have to deal with that because none of my friends are morons...same can't be said for some family, but what are you gonna do about that?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yet another reason why I left Facebook back in October. I couldn't and didn't want to deal with thousands of opinions on every single thing I posted. So much happier!

I must be weird...my facebook friends are all just my real friends and family in real life except many of us are separated by distance so fb makes it easy to keep in touch, post pictures of each others kids, etc....

I think I'm in the minority though judging from how many people seem to have issues with morons on facebook. I don't have to deal with that because none of my friends are morons...same can't be said for some family, but what are you gonna do about that?

This - Perhaps I only associate with people I consider smart enough to be my friend. I only have actual friends, family and acquaintances on my FB.
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Don't get me wrong, my husband and I share our FB account and only have close friends and family as friends..this particular moron had made an ill informed post to an article on The Independent's FB page to which I (maybe shouldn't have) responded.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If calories in vs. calories out is ridiculous, where does the energy from those extra calories go?

This. First Law of Thermodynamics yo.

Let the person know that if they can prove you wrong a Nobel Prize awaits them.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    People are doing a pretty good job of defending CICO, so I just thought I'd point out that 21 participants is barely enough for a modified T-test. At best, you could call that a pilot study, which is only useful in the sense that it can help you decide what topics call for actual research. Whether the guy is right or wrong, that study isn't even crappy evidence. It's no evidence.
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    One guy already proved you could lose weight when he counted calories eating only twinkies and Doritos... And lost weight. Definitely unhealthy and you'll gain it back right away and then some, but you can lose weight counting calories.. Losing weight in a healthy way is far from that simple though.

But if you are going strictly to lose weight, I would definitely agree with you. Calorie deficit = weight loss as the most simple solution.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    skysiebaby wrote: »
    Currently having a debate with someone on FB regarding all calories being equal for weight loss (which I firmly believe) and received the below link along with the response "I think the notion of 'calories in vs. calories out' is ridiculous", and also apparently 2000 calories of veg is not the same as 2000 calories of junk food.

Any thoughts about this study? I hate to lose an argument ;)

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/06/when-a-calorie-is-not-just-a-calorie/?hc_location=ufi

Skipping other comments cause I suspect some craziness.

So weight loss only? That study wasn't about weight loss, it was about maintaining weight already lost.

Also it compares low fat vs low glycemic index vs. Low carb. It never tests simple CICO (only kcal restrictions, not good groups) so I don't see how it can ever be used against your argument?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    One guy already proved you could lose weight when he counted calories eating only twinkies and Doritos... And lost weight. Definitely unhealthy and you'll gain it back right away and then some...

Why would he gain it back? If he stops eating twinkies and doesn't over-eat calories, there's no reason for the weight to come back.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    steffenson wrote: »
    A calorie is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree C.
    Many people claim CICO always applies - and that anytime others claim it does not they are under estimating what they are eating or over estimating their workouts.

I disagree - in 2013 after 4 months of dieting I was down to 1,200 cal per day (1,200 plus eating back exercise calories so 1,200 to 1,800 per day) and my weight loss was stalled. I finally looked up IIFYM/TDEE and realized I was eating way too FEW calories. I upped my calories to 2,450 per day and started losing weight and body fat percent. Same person, same exercise, exact same foods and same person measuring/weighting and tracking of food.
    I am currently about 1 1/2 months into a Keto diet and to stop myself from losing any more weight (lost 11 pounds the first 3 weeks) I am currently eating 3,500 calories per day.

If 2 years ago I was maintaining on 1,200 cal a day and I am currently maintaining on 3,500 cal per day how does CICO always apply? (I am within 10lb of the same weight and doing about the same amount of exercise)

Perhaps you are measuring better now than you were before? And perhaps exercising a bit more?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

This - Perhaps I only associate with people I consider smart enough to be my friend. I only have actual friends, family and acquaintances on my FB.

Same here.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    One guy already proved you could lose weight when he counted calories eating only twinkies and Doritos... And lost weight. Definitely unhealthy and you'll gain it back right away and then some...

Why would he gain it back? If he stops eating twinkies and doesn't over-eat calories, there's no reason for the weight to come back.

That was going to be my question. .

If that was the case then everyone would regain the weight they'd lost after going into maintenance. ..

Maybe we read the statement wrong?

• Mr_Knight
    Options

That was going to be my question. .

If that was the case then everyone would regain the weight they'd lost after going into maintenance. ..

Maybe we read the statement wrong?

I'm not sure. Maybe there was an unspoken assumption in there?
  • Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    This specifically was the response I, and a couple of others who agreed with me, got.

You are incorrect, here, buddy. The body burns healthy calories much more efficiently than non-useful calories that just stay on as fat. For example, if you eat 2,000 calories consisting of vegetables, whole grains and proteins you will be fit and healthy but, if you eat 2,000 calories of McDonalds day after day, you may just die. Your take on calories is a lie that junk food industries have fed the gullible public.

Wow your friend is an idiot

There's nothing actually wrong with eating the way the "friend" suggests in that quote - and a whole lot right, really. The "friend" doesn't even claim that weight loss won't happen on the junk food calories. The only real problem is the logic fail in describing the underlying mechanisms, which result in th the insinuation that their way is the only way.

If that's the worst of it, the OP and the "friend" aren't all that far apart, really.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    This specifically was the response I, and a couple of others who agreed with me, got.

You are incorrect, here, buddy. The body burns healthy calories much more efficiently than non-useful calories that just stay on as fat. For example, if you eat 2,000 calories consisting of vegetables, whole grains and proteins you will be fit and healthy but, if you eat 2,000 calories of McDonalds day after day, you may just die. Your take on calories is a lie that junk food industries have fed the gullible public.

There's nothing actually wrong with eating the way the "friend" suggests in that quote - and a whole lot right, really. The "friend" doesn't even claim that weight loss won't happen on the junk food calories. The only real problem is the logic fail in describing the underlying mechanisms, which result in th the insinuation that their way is the only way.

If that's the worst of it, the OP and the "friend" aren't all that far apart, really.

"The body burns healthy calories much more efficiently than non-useful calories that just stay on as fat." definitely sounds like "junk food makes you fat."
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

"The body burns healthy calories much more efficiently than non-useful calories that just stay on as fat." definitely sounds like "junk food makes you fat."

Maybe. But that's not what the quote actually says. And it specifically calls out "health" rather than weight as a reason to avoid the crap-food diet.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Maybe. But that's not what the quote actually says. And it specifically calls out "health" rather than weight as a reason to avoid the crap-food diet.

You're doing this again? "non-useful calories that just stay on as fat" isn't even an implication, it clearly says that "bad" calories will lead to fat gain.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    People see obese people in Mcdonalds and Kentucky etc etc regularly. Which is probably why fast food is often related to obesity and sickness...
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

You're doing this again? "non-useful calories that just stay on as fat" isn't even an implication, it clearly says that "bad" calories will lead to fat gain.

Hey, don't let me stand in the way of a group beat up on an ambiguous quote from an unknown poster for whom we have no context...

:drinker: