Started SL 5x5 yesterday

Options
I started SL 5x5 yesterday. As I went through the squats and bench, I had to remind myself that this is a marathon and not a sprint. 10 months ago I was doing crossfit and now I am nowhere near that point. But I did feel that the squats were a little too easy yesterday.

Although the way I am walking today, it feels like they got the best of me.

Anyone else started the 5x5 SL recently and would like to share any tips?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Progress as you can, which may be slower than the program suggests. The rate of progression got to be too much for me, so I increased weight at a slower pace.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I started a few weeks ago, and I've been tempted to "skip ahead" and add more than 5 lbs./session to the exercises, but I've held off on that. Like you said, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I'll agree that the squats were on the easy side at the beginning, but this morning was the first time where I really needed to push myself to get all 5 sets in. The only exercise I've actually had trouble with so far is the overhead press; I came close to failure with that one early on, but I may just have been having a bad morning.

I guess I don't have any hot tips, other than don't rush yourself; things will get more difficult (in a satisfying way) soon enough.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of the easy weight to really, really work on form. Film yourself lifting -- correct the little problems now. In a month, when you're starting to have to push it, crappy form will come back to haunt.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I use the 5 x 5 quite often (I'll cycle in and out with different rep schemes on the same general exercises).

I'll second the focus on form. Never, never, never sacrifice form in order to get more reps.

Take your rest breaks seriously. Shake out your arms and/or legs, sit down if you need to. Getting well recovered is going to help you push more weight and get stronger faster.

Sleep. Try to get 8 - 9 hours at night. Your lifting is giving you a testosterone boost, and good sleep will double down on the good hormones.

Try to reduce stress. Cortisol has its place, but not if there is too much of it. Meditation, walks in nature, sex. Whatever helps you relax and forget about the stressors will help you in the gym.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that since you do the squats every session, the weight will increase pretty fast, and it will be heavy before too long. Stick to the program, and try not to jump ahead.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I started back at the end September. Still going strong. I've had a few deloads to work on form issues, but I'm still loving the program. It has done some awesome things for my body appearance and composition.

ETA: Agree with PP who said to work on form now and not jump ahead. I'd be a lot further along if I had done that. After my second deload, I had to seriously check my ego. I'm improving now and keeping my form tight. I kick myself from time to time about not being more mindful of form early on.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I went through SL 5x5 a while ago and stalled on squats, deloaded, progressed a bit, stalled, switched to low bar, stalled etc. All in all it was a great program but got a bit boring. I started adding in some auxiliary exercises and pretty soon it was nothing like SL. I switched to a periodized program and have made progress every cycle and feel like I look a ton better as well. Just do the program as it was designed, deload when you need to, make sure your intake is right (slight surplus, lots of protein) and you'll get the most out of it.

Once you feel like you're not making progress after a couple of deloads, try switching to Madcow or Texas method or something periodized.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    It's a great program! It will get harder quickly.....but to me that tells me it's working!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I started today so I'm appreciating all the tips. I watched the warm up video which is a useful watch. Whilst warming up with an empty bar a very whitty chap asked me if I was going to put any weight on my bar. NOTE it didn't go down well! He didn't stay long
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started today so I'm appreciating all the tips. I watched the warm up video which is a useful watch. Whilst warming up with an empty bar a very whitty chap asked me if I was going to put any weight on my bar. NOTE it didn't go down well! He didn't stay long

Look him in the eye and lift more than he does.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I started about a month ago, and feel I am only just getting going with it.

It is tempting to skip ahead, but I have resisted. I feel only now am I beginning to deal with more weight, although its obviously nothing compared to what others lift.

I accidentally squatted 10kg more than I should have the other day, only 5 reps but it felt good to know I could do it - made me quite excited for the progression I can see ahead.

No real tips, Im still learning loads everytime I go. Recently Ive actually worked out how to engage more in my lifts. I think until now Ive been isolating my legs on the squat instead of making it a full body thing.

Essentially Im feeling my way in, and the lower weights at this time enable this, so Im just sticking to the program!

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A couple of things to note:

SL5x5 is a strength program, where you start low and increase the weight bar every session for that lift. So your squat should go up +15lbs per week (60 lbs/month), bench and press goes up +15lbs every 2 weeks or 30lbs/month, and deadlift can go up 15 to 20lbs per week, depending how new you are at it. Please note that this is done at the start with low weights, so you nail your form down. Very soon you will start stalling (the Press first because it uses your smallest muscles compared to the rest). Eventually, you will have to micro-load on the press, or do extra reps before increasing weight

After you stall (unable to achieve 5x5), repeat 2 more times until you either break through, or else deload by 10% and switch to 3setsx5reps. Starting Strength is only 3x5, so don't worry about cutting down the volume... 3x5 is excellent for strength gains. Don't be afraid to take 5 minute breaks when the weight get heavy.. You use your ATP (energy) on these intense lifts, and it takes 3 minute to be ~80% recovered and 5 minutes for ~95%. Don't do a PR with only 80% in your tank.

By the end of the program, you should be able to do 5 reps of:
    1.5xbodyweight squat, 2xbodyweight deadlift, 1xbodyweight bench, 0.75xbodyweight press

Make sure you are squatting low enough too... I see guys who load up 315lbs and move down 6". For excellent technique videos, youtube "Allan Thrall how to ______" (squat, deadlift, press, bench, row).

Also check out this:http://www.barbellmedicine.com/training/top-10-mistakes-people-following-starting-strength-make/
    (this article is meant for Starting Strength but it applies to SL).

Also if you are skinny, eat to gain weight. You can also do this on a cut, but you may have to progress slower/reset sooner. When I cut while on a strength program, I would repeat the weight before adding more between sessions (aesthetic gains over strength).

A great pre-workout stretching routine I use is called "Limber11", it's excellent for opening up your hips among other things. Takes 15 minutes, and I'm all warmed up after.

It may seem too easy at first, but trust the program. In a couple of months when you are squatting over 2plates to parallel, you will know the effectiveness of this program.

Lastly, if you need to add cardio, you can do it 2x a week on off days if you can, or failing that do it after the weights. Do enough to stress yourself but not so much that it affects your next lifting session (I recommend rowing [20seconds fast, 2 minute normal speed]x5to7 sets).

Cheers
  • whb2015
    whb2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips and information. I am in this for the long haul so I am going to stick to the suggested weight increments increase.

I can tell my squat form and my deadlift form need some polishing.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I found a tip today - give yourself enough rest between sets.

Failed on my 4th set of Rows today, purely because I didnt allow enough recovery. Waiting 3 minutes and nailed the 5th. It wasnt a strength issue at all, it was a patience issue!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm doing day 2 today. Going to focus on form. Following this post with interest.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Im about 10 weeks into the programme and am struggling with the weight increasing. Squats I cant seem to get over the 50kg mark (but hoping now ive seen chiro that I can move onwards again!), OHP - seems to have 30kg as my 'cant do it' weight but hoping to break that next week. Deadlifts - having a PT session tomorrow to check my form as back was hurting. Bench press: stuck at 30kg mainly because Im using the olympic bench at 5.30am when the gym is deserted and I dont like to risk squashing myself! Already learned the hard way not to put the weight holders on the end of the bar!!

Its a good programme but be patient, your progress wont be linear (where have we heard that before!) but you will slowly get stronger!
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Love SL5x5. Agree on taking it slow and focusing on form.

Also have you done the research on rows? There's debate on Pendlay vs bent over
  • whb2015
    whb2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    70lb squat 105lb bench and 50lb row today. Day 3 complete....
  • JEaton87
    JEaton87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started the SL 5X5 about a month ago because I am trying to fix some imbalances and form issues. Once I got passed the ego issues from using such light weight (started as if I was completely new to weightlifting), I have seen much better respone from the program in Every lift. My form is a lot tighter and I no longer have issues with pain in my knees and elbow that I got being naive and younger. Not only is StrongLifts 5X5 an incredible program, the app is simply amazing by itself, add the fact that Mehdi doesn't charge for a basic version of his app and you have a gift from the iron gods. B)
  • roeyrolex
    roeyrolex Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you pack on strength and muscle mass easily, SL 5x5 isn't a great option. Personally, my bench increased from 175lbs x 5 to 210lbs x 5 in a span of about 2 months. As a result, my joints couldn't support the weight that my chest and arms were pressing and I ended up getting injured. I'm far from an expert on the subject but from my personal experience, I'd recommend that you keep your mind open to variations. Don't rigidly follow the 5x5 program because it DOES have some flaws. (ie. squatting every workout, progression too quick, lacking accessory lifts, strange muscle grouping, only 3 days a week, etc.)