Athletic shoes ???????? $$$$$$$$$

Options
13»

Replies

• berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I always check the warehouse deals on Amazon first - if someone returns shoes that don't work, they will discount them, sometimes pretty deeply and sell them in there. Of course, you have to rely on a little luck that they will have something good in your size, but I think it's worth checking.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of shoes - one for outside walking and one for inside. The tread is nearly worn on both of them, but my feet never have problems. They are both Nikes, just different styles, and I think I paid about $40 each for them. I'm terrified of having to buy a new pair.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I spend anywhere between $100-140 on running shoes. This may be a little lower if I were just buying shoes for the gym (and not running or jumping around at the gym). As I've gotten older I've become make conscious of my feet and taking care of them. If I were able to find good shoes for less then I'd go for it but those I try tend not to be as supportive/comfortable.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    runningwarehouse.com is a good place to check for shoes. If you know what works for you now, look for that exact same shoe there. If you don't see it, you may be fine getting the next edition but not always - sometimes the company will tweak the design and the shoe won't work for you anymore (I had this problem - so bummed! Have to give the shoes away now....).

With that being said...I spend $120 for shoes, plus $50 for inserts to help support and stabilize my feet. Makes a WORLD of difference. I've started logging all my runs so I can see how many miles are on the shoes; my mom recommended I replace them around 500 miles. That will probably be something like 3-4 years with the number of miles I'm running.

Honestly....I probably don't spend less than $60 on a pair of shoes, ever, anymore. I can be on my feet 4-7 hours a day at work, plus home stuff, and a good pair of shoes makes a world of difference. I rarely come home and think "ugh my feet hurt." They might be tired, but not sore!

~Lyssa
  • c613477
    c613477 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    I prefer to work out in asics so I always buy those on clearance as they tend to be pricey here. The pair I have now were originally $95 and I bought them for about $65.
    erockem wrote: »
    Asics Kayano's every 5-6 months. $120ish.

Asics forever! I'm a fan of the GT-2000 right now.

Those are exactly what I use to!! Love them
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't pay for a gym so the $100-$150 a few times a year is so worth it for my running shoes.
  • Kelamb10
    Kelamb10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    $75-100 purchased on sale, why because i purchase everything on sale. The shoes I wear retail for $140-160. After being a college track runner and a personal trainer, I can honestly say this is not an area you ever want to not get the best of the best.

I worked at a running store in college for many years. If I can give you one piece of advice it would be find the real running store in your area, go in and have them watch how you walk/run. They will give you a few options that are best for your feet. If you don't want to pay full price, then take the advice and go find them online. Asics Kayano's are great for most people and in a running store they are 130-150. If you look online you can find them for around $100. If you are willing to go with last years model you can usually find them for $75.

I hope this helps
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Brooks Ghost--$150. Custom insoles--$75. Worth every penny!
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I spend $120 on sneakers every 6 months. If you can afford good sneakers, they are definitely worth it!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I hate running shoes. I don't run and they look dumb on me any other time. I always want to find a pair for 40 or 50 bucks on sale that are cool looking, but no.

So I wear my chucks to lift and end up using them on the stationary bike too very often. 40 or 50 bucks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nothing less than an anti-pronating runners shoe with the help of a knowledgeable clerk. I'll wear those babies out so no cheaping out. My t-shirt on the other hand is from Army & Navy.