milk cravings

Options
Ok so usually I'm great at fitness/health stuff but this has me a bit stumped. I've never liked milk and I don't want chocolate but lately I'm craving chocolate milk a lot. When I say a lot, I mean I'm drinking minimum 1L a day, maximum 2L.
Has anyone else experienced this or know what the cause could be?

Replies

• vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You're pregnant that's why you have cravings
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've never had this happen to me, but if you're craving it your body must feel deprived of some kind of nutrient in it. It could possibly be a magnesium or iron deficiency, which is fairly common and would explain the preference for chocolate - you could always reach for a piece of super dark chocolate and see if it helps. Or it could be a calcium deficiency, in which maybe a little indulgence is a good thing then. It could be a lot! But as long as it works within your calories, I see no harm in drinking a lot of chocolate milk as long as it doesn't become a daily thing that prevents you from consuming other nutritious things. To keep calories under control I'm addicted to Silk's chocolate almond milk - that stuff is divine! You could also choose lower or non fat versions to help keep calories under control, but this may not be a good idea if you're craving this out of a need for more fat.
    Food cravings aside, are you drinking enough water? It could just be thirst, too.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    vfit10 wrote: »
    You're pregnant that's why you have cravings

QFT.... ;)
    That was my thought.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Well, I've had the odd experience of never liking something and suddenly deciding I've wanted it happen before.

However, I haven't gone on to then consume loads of it.

So, um, yeah, maybe...

Is there any possibility you're pregnant?
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy was my first thought, too!
    But for real, judging by your pic you're pretty young? like late teens to early 20s? In my personal experience food tastes change a lot at that age as our bodies fully mature. Hgycta has he right of it in that respect, too: a changing body (whether the driving forces are external [new exercise regimen] or internal [filling out]) has all sorts of weird 'requests'.
    As long as it feels right, go for it! Just watch sugar - mix up your own milk to reduce sugar calories.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was thinking pregnancy too! Im currently pregnant and with both my pregnancies i always wanted chocolate milk lol
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. I hope you are still out there, OP! :#

My guess, other than the first one, would be that you're not getting enough protein or fat in the rest of your diet.

See: How Milk Does a Body Good (why chocolate milk is good for exercise recovery) ~ Warning: Not a scientific journal article!

http://www.active.com/nutrition/articles/how-milk-does-a-body-good
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Milk has calcium and protein both which are good if you are still growing. When I was pregnant I switched from hating milk to loving it. I still love it. To reduce the calorie hit try switching out the chocolate to plain. Then try Greek Yogurt for a condensed hit of protein/calcium.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Magnesium, copper or calcium deficient?

Can you eat other dairy or chocolate (one with out the other) and it satisfy your craving? Do they have to be both together?

You may have just found that "one" new thing you really love and want a lot of it. For example my new thing is butterscotch (i never really like it before... and no I am NOT pregnant).. LOL :):)
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm not normally a milk drinker, but when I hit my 3rd trimester pregnant with twins, I would go to the fridge, get out a whole gallon and drink the entire thing standing there lol. Every day.

But now many years later, I'm craving it sometimes when I'm doing more intense strength training. I still rarely even have it in the house since none of us use it much except on cereal.

Maybe you just need more of something it has.
  • Kasey_1994
    Kasey_1994 Posts: 24 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No I'm not pregnant. vfit10 it was a little rude to not just suggest that I may be pregnant but just to straight out say I am when you've never met me, spoken to me or heard of me.
    Thanks everyone else for the suggestions
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Kasey_1994 wrote: »
    know what the cause could be?

Gonna guess and say you just realized it tastes really good.