Thoughts on Sucralose or Aspartame in diet food?

Options

Replies

• spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Sugar substitutes in ANYTHING is just plain gross (unless by 'substitute' they mean something like corn syrup, maple, etc). It's gross and unnecessary and keeps showing up in things that aren't touted as 'diet' nor NEED to be any sweeter than they already are.

If a drink or dessert is labeled as 'diet' then I expect it and know to avoid it. But why the F does my hot chocolate have freaking sucralose in it. I don't care it's the last ingredient. I spit it out without even knowing it was there, because it was *nasty*. Ugh. I could rant all day about it. Just NO.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Sugar substitutes in ANYTHING is just plain gross (unless by 'substitute' they mean something like corn syrup, maple, etc). It's gross and unnecessary and keeps showing up in things that aren't touted as 'diet' nor NEED to be any sweeter than they already are.

If a drink or dessert is labeled as 'diet' then I expect it and know to avoid it. But why the F does my hot chocolate have freaking sucralose in it. I don't care it's the last ingredient. I spit it out without even knowing it was there, because it was *nasty*. Ugh. I could rant all day about it. Just NO.

I have a different opinion than you do on this subject...
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

What, you think it's good that it gets put in products without warning?

I mean, if you like it, fine. But many of us can fully taste the bitterness of artificial sweeteners (most of them aren't even discernibly sweet to me, all I can taste is BITTER.) and wouldn't buy a product if we knew it was in there.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

I mean, if you like it, fine. But many of us can fully taste the bitterness of artificial sweeteners (most of them aren't even discernibly sweet to me, all I can taste is BITTER.) and wouldn't buy a product if we knew it was in there.

Without warning? It's on the label.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Often only in tiny print on the ingredient list. They used to put the big logo of Splenda or Nutrasweet on the label, not as a requirement, I think it was more of a boast that they had the "new" sweetener in it. (And, in the case of Nutrasweet, it was a reassurance that it wasn't saccharine, which was the only alternative at the time) And, in food items not labeled "diet?" people aren't likely to pick up the container, pull out their readers (shut up, I'm old) and scan the small print for sucralose. As the PP said, if you buy regular, full calorie hot cocoa mix? Why would you double check for Splenda?

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Right. But that's not "without warning." Just because you (or whomever) doesn't look at the ingredient list doesn't mean that the manufacturer didn't tell you. If you (or whomever) doesn't want to consume a particular ingredient, it's incumbent upon you to make sure you don't buy it - the information is there.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Often only in tiny print on the ingredient list. They used to put the big logo of Splenda or Nutrasweet on the label, not as a requirement, I think it was more of a boast that they had the "new" sweetener in it. (And, in the case of Nutrasweet, it was a reassurance that it wasn't saccharine, which was the only alternative at the time) And, in food items not labeled "diet?" people aren't likely to pick up the container, pull out their readers (shut up, I'm old) and scan the small print for sucralose. As the PP said, if you buy regular, full calorie hot cocoa mix? Why would you double check for Splenda?

This, all of this! I compared the label to the last box I had (which was still on top of the trash can). The previous batch did NOT have Splenda, this one did. I had checked MANY MANY times before: why would I check now? Went to the grocery store and *every single brand* had started doing it, none of them with any indication on the box. The only one that didn't was the generic store brand.

Vitamin water did it too. They HAVE a 'zero' flavor. Whhhhy did they feel the need to put it in the regular stuff, without warning?
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    Right. But that's not "without warning." Just because you (or whomever) doesn't look at the ingredient list doesn't mean that the manufacturer didn't tell you. If you (or whomever) doesn't want to consume a particular ingredient, it's incumbent upon you to make sure you don't buy it - the information is there.

But it IS without warning. It's not a normal ingredient in a non-diet food. It doesn't belong in food not labeled as such, IMHO. It serves no purpose in a food not designed to be reduced calorie.

And, seriously, it tastes like crap.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I loathe the taste of artificial sweeteners. And I also loathe stevia! Blech!!!

Stonyfield Farms Fat Free French Vanilla Yogurt is delicious and while not as low cal as Yoplait, it is sweetened with sugar. :) I've gotten away from it though and reaching for Greek yogurts because of the higher protein amount, but I absolutely avoid yogurt and most other "diet" foods that have sweeteners other than ordinary old sugar.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    annonm wrote: »
    I just had a yoplait light for the first time. It has sucarlose instead of sugar to give it less calories but i have to say, it was disgusting! I love yogurt but you can taste the sucrolose in it. In my opinion, Not only is it disgusting but it made me hungrier! I am so mad I wasted my calories on it. I just want to know has anyone else ate diet food with those ingredients in it instead of real sugar and got hungrier. It also made me feel kind of sick. I don't know if that is just me or what?

FIFY
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'd think if it made you hungrier any food with sugar would also make you hungrier. The body treats artificial sweeteners like sugar but they are not absorbed so no calories. Sometimes you can get insulin spikes while eating artificial things especially if that's the only thing you've eaten that day.

Breakfast makes me hungrier, doesn't mean I stop eating it when I have time for it.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I prefer things sweetened with stevia when I can get them. Otherwise, I'm looking at a 2lt bottle of generic Diet Mt. Dew on my desk that I've managed to easily get 3/4 of the way through during my shift. Yeah, I really don't care about artificial sweeteners too much.
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sucralose or any of the loses just give me migraines and intestinal problems. I try to avoid them, they are even in a lot of OTC medications and vitamins too
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I started drinking diet soda a few days ago, because I finally found a brand that tasted just as good as the regular version. Ironically was the local noname brand that managed to do where the Coca Cola company (tm) and Pepsi failed miserably.
    Anyway, the next morning I was bloated to hell. But now I'm fine.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't mind artificial sweeteners at all and actually prefer things like coke zero to regular coke. It's really a taste preference thing-I could fit in the regular coke into my calorie allotment but I don't like the taste as much, so I'd rather have a diet/zero version.
  • TheNerdyMonkey
    TheNerdyMonkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sucralose actually cause acne and cystic acne (face and/or body acne) read labels because a lot of low calorie items lack protein, fiber and/or other needed nutrients. Just make sure you don't deprive your body of what it needs just for lower calories.
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Diet wild cherry Pepsi is by far the best tasting diet drink.#IMHO
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    One of my goals was to cut down on sweet stuff full stop. Breaking the sugar habit in total. I have no issue what so ever with artifical sweetners as such and it may help to break the sugar habit, but for me it was a case of make of breake. So I chose to only have fruit as sweets, simply because they have so much more positive nutritional parts ( the for me very important fibre for instance) that the fruitsugar is acceptable.
    The result is that I find anything sweet(ned) horrible a year later. Most sweetned foods have started to taste bitter to me. Stuff I used to love I simply cannot stomach anymore.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Not something I generally eat, so don't care, I will say most times when I've consumed foods that have artificial sweeteners the taste was pretty nasty. My wife drinks diet pepsi and I still after all these years can't stand the taste, so for me, never going to happen.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Sucralose actually cause acne and cystic acne (face and/or body acne) read labels because a lot of low calorie items lack protein, fiber and/or other needed nutrients. Just make sure you don't deprive your body of what it needs just for lower calories.

Pubmed finds absolutely no source when searching for sucralose and acne together so where did you get that from?
    And what are you talking about "it lacks protein and fiber" the same is true for water.