Weight loss pills that help? Anyone experienced pls look

jamesmorin59
jamesmorin59 Posts: 37 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
i was looking on Amazon at muscle tech hydroxycut but has anyone tried them and do they work/help at all?
Thanks

I don't need to lose a lot of weight just some extra body fat

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2015
    Calorie deficit is free. :)
  • jamesmorin59

That wasn't my question as I allready have most of the knowledge I need regarding calorie deficits
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If weight loss pills worked there'd be no fat people, would there?
  • jamesmorin59

My understanding is weight loss pills are a means of assistance , providing there is already a calorie deficit

Fat people would still struggle with the calorie deficit or they wouldn't be fat
  • livingleanlivingclean

That wasn't my question as I allready have most of the knowledge I need regarding calorie deficits

No, they don't really work.
    They might give you a bit of energy to train harder, but not much else.
    L-carnitine is supposed to help?
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    You're right. Weight loss pills are a tool to aid in fat loss.
    Having said that, i would say the majority of them use caffeine as their active ingredient.
    This is perfectly fine as it does boost your metabolism and thus aid with fat loss.

Having said that, there are several substances that do target fat loss specifically, but only work in very restricted conditions.
    For example, I use them when I cut and try to get from around 11% body fat to under 10% and diet/exercise alone takes too long.

What is your goal, stats, exercise program?
    I'd assume you're at a caloric deficit..? By how much?

Answering these questions might give us an indication of something that might work for your needs..

As with everything else in life, something that works doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for you.
  • jamesmorin59
    herrspoons wrote: »

My understanding is weight loss pills are a means of assistance , providing there is already a calorie deficit

Fat people would still struggle with the calorie deficit or they wouldn't be fat

No. They have no significant impact. The only ones that do are prescription appetite suppressants.

Thanks!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    I took hydroxycut briefly. It gave me jitters along the line of a strong energy drink. That didnt feel right to me. So I suppose its lower cal than some energy drinks... but a caffeine pill would be cheaper
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    I don't know much about weight loss pills in general, but a guy friend of mine started taking hydroxycut 3 weeks ago (along with dieting). He lost 8 pounds week 1. He's lost a total of 25 in the 3 weeks he's been at it.
    His belly is way down. Who knows if the loss is due to the diet or the hydroxycut though.
    He's a dude with about 80 pounds to lose; to give you a reference point.
  • jamesmorin59
    edited April 2015
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    Having said that, i would say the majority of them use caffeine as their active ingredient.
    This is perfectly fine as it does boost your metabolism and thus aid with fat loss.

Having said that, there are several substances that do target fat loss specifically, but only work in very restricted conditions.
    For example, I use them when I cut and try to get from around 11% body fat to under 10% and diet/exercise alone takes too long.

Answering these questions might give us an indication of something that might work for your needs..

As with everything else in life, something that works doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for you.

I currently am at around a 600calorie deficit
    Macros 25f 45c 35p, which I reach fine with a 1 or 2% fluctuation,
    I always make sure I hit my protein targets,

Currently around 20% bf roughly maybe just under,
    And like you said diet and exercise takes a long time,

Currently go gym 3 x a week 20- 30 mins of high intensity cardio each time and lift weights also , just not as heavy as I would like due to injuries
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member

No. They have no significant impact. The only ones that do are prescription appetite suppressants.

I think pills like xenical/alli can work as they deter people from eating foods with a high fat content. So the pill itself doesn't do a lot, except make you poo yourself if you eat high fat foods. My friend took them and they worked, but she ate at a deficit and exercised lots, so she'd have lost the weight anyway, but the pills stopped her from eating certain things. She was prescribed them by her GP.
  • IvanOcampo
    Read the ingredients. Hydroxy cut is simply using caffeine as its active ingredient.
    Which as I said, it's perfectly fine - if I have some laying around I take it as a pre-workout (though not for weight loss but for stimulation)..
    You'd get the exact same benefits drinking a (0 calorie) energy drink.
    Or a cup of coffee or two.

As I said, there are some out there that really do target fat loss.. But it depends on where you're at in terms of body fat, how and when you eat, and your exercise routine.
  • IvanOcampo

I currently am at around a 600calorie deficit
    Macros 25f 45c 35p, which I reach fine with a 1 or 2% fluctuation,
    I always make sure I hit my protein targets,

Currently around 20% bf roughly maybe just under,
    And like you said diet and exercise takes a long time,

Currently go gym 3 x a week 20- 30 mins of high intensity cardio each time and lift weights also , just not as heavy as I would like due to injuries

25 fat/45 carbs/35 proteins???!
  • jamesmorin59
    edited April 2015

I think pills like xenical/alli can work as they deter people from eating foods with a high fat content. So the pill itself doesn't do a lot, except make you poo yourself if you eat high fat foods. My friend took them and they worked, but she ate at a deficit and exercised lots, so she'd have lost the weight anyway, but the pills stopped her from eating certain things. She was prescribed them by her GP.
    I don't know much about weight loss pills in general, but a guy friend of mine started taking hydroxycut 3 weeks ago (along with dieting). He lost 8 pounds week 1. He's lost a total of 25 in the 3 weeks he's been at it.
    His belly is way down. Who knows if the loss is due to the diet or the hydroxycut though.
    He's a dude with about 80 pounds to lose; to give you a reference point.
    I took hydroxycut briefly. It gave me jitters along the line of a strong energy drink. That didnt feel right to me. So I suppose its lower cal than some energy drinks... but a caffeine pill would be cheaper
    Thank you for your replies,

The only part which I thought may work was the fact people say they sweat a lot more whilst exercising?
    I will have to try a coffee shot befor my next gym session and see how that helps
  • IvanOcampo
    Just keep at it - with 20% body fat, weight loss pills won't work..
    Anything you do, as long as you're eating correctly, will help you lose weight..

If you REALLY want to burn some fat fast, do fasted cardio as soon as you wake up..
    And don't eat right away..

When I cut, I do intermittent fasting, which might just be bioscience but works for me in speeding up weight loss..
  • jamesmorin59
    Anything you do, as long as you're eating correctly, will help you lose weight..

If you REALLY want to burn some fat fast, do fasted cardio as soon as you wake up..

When I cut, I do intermittent fasting, which might just be bioscience but works for me in speeding up weight loss..
    Thanks

I never heard of fasted cardio , I will give this a go

Also was a typo 25f 45c 30p
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    to the OP, go to musclebuilder.com and read up on supplements (fat burners).. There are ones with and without stimulants..

If you want to sweat out and do not mind some jitters get one that is a thermogenic. Hydroxcut elite will do this. You can try a supplement to put in your arsenal to help out..
  • IvanOcampo

Thanks

I never heard of fasted cardio , I will give this a go

Also was a typo 25f 45c 30p

I hope that's still a typo.
    That equates to around 525 calories..!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Fasted cardio isn't necessary... There are studies to show it makes not a scrap of difference whether you do it Fasted or not. You could add in hiit or steady state (not low intensity, that's pointless) on rest days....
  • IvanOcampo
    Fasted cardio isn't necessary... There are studies to show it makes not a scrap of difference whether you do it Fasted or not. You could add in hiit or steady state (not low intensity, that's pointless) on rest days....

Yep, as I said,, it might just be broscience..... But I found that it works for me!