No weight loss - what am I doing wrong ? :-(

Options
I've been following my calorie intake , and either below it or nearly at the limit . I've not done much exercise until about four weeks ago , when I brought a Jawbone Up. I would normally not do more than 4,000 steps on week days . Now I'm making sure I do at least 9,000 steps weekdays and more on weekends . Eating more fruit and veg , and grains . But my weight has stayed the same . Where am I going wrong ? Really upset with myself .

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food, or just estimating? Also, how long has your weight been stagnant? Your profile says you've lost 12 lbs.
  • Tji2512
    Tji2512 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, not sure why it says that . I lost the 12lb when I was on weight watchers . But been stuck where I am for about 5 or so weeks now , since stopping my weight watchers class. I have weighed some foods , but estimated others. Is that where I'm going wrong ?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Tji2512 wrote: »
    Yes, not sure why it says that . I lost the 12lb when I was on weight watchers . But been stuck where I am for about 5 or so weeks now , since stopping my weight watchers class. I have weighed some foods , but estimated others. Is that where I'm going wrong ?

Yep! Some people can estimate portion sizes and others don't have a knack for it. Start weighing all your solids and semi-solids, like peanut butter. You'll be surprised by what you see :)

~Lyssa
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    MFP is a calorie counting tool. You have to weight/measure 95% of your ingested food or it will not work.
    I consider the 5% smaller items like herbs, spices, etc in volumes less than 1/4 teaspoon. I estimate these. But the rest, yes.
    This is a journey not a destination. You will lose body weight if your calories burned > calories ingested (eating at a deficit).
    do not eat 100% of your exercise calories. I only eat 50% or less back, if I want to lose body weight.
    If I am in Maintenance, I eat close to 100% of my exercise calories
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    Make sure fruits and vegetables are 1/2 your diet. I was dropping weight like crazy and it suddenly stopped.. I started drinking more water and it started to come off again, so be sure to get plenty of that as well =) lean protein and whole grains.. Do you only walk for exercise? Try looking up some free strength training videos or invest in a program that would keep you accountable and provide a support group.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yep. Weigh everything you can and measure fluids if you aren't seeing any progress.

That said, you body retains fluid when you start upping or changing your exercise. It will release it eventually, but until then it can mask fat loss. Do your clothes feel loose? Are you taking measurements or pictures? These things will offset the disappointment that comes with judging your progress solely by scale weight. This may be a case of not being able to see the forest for the tree. That tree is the scale. You need to expand your vision to include ALL of the changes ;)
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    When my weight loss stops ("plateaus") it's always because I'm not accurately measuring.

I went to the store and got some inexpensive liquid measuring cups and a $15 digital scale. Got back on track.

Good luck.
    Brandon
  • xxZealousxx
    xxZealousxx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How do you measure fruits? Before peeling? And what about rice? before boiling or after boiling?
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    How do you measure fruits? Before peeling? And what about rice? before boiling or after boiling?

For fruit, prepare then weigh. You are weighing what you actually eat. For rice or pasta, dry if making a single serving but plenty of us prepare meals for more than just ourselves and weigh foods after cooking. There are entries for cooked or uncooked to account for bulk meal prep.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Tji2512 wrote: »

Weigh everything! If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.