Measuring tape says I lost weight, scale disagrees

Options
2»

Replies

• tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My husband has been at 295 for three months now (started at 415), but has went from a 46 to a 40 in pants size. It's strange, I know, but that's what's going on. Sometimes you have to look at the overall and not just the scale, which seems to be what you're doing. :smiley:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    s9l15tlap1z8.png

I weighed exactly 135 pounds in both of these pics, one year apart. Pic on the left size Mediums, 8/10 pants. Pic on the right size Small, 2/4 pants. I'll take measurements over scale weight any day! Good luck!
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    Do you do a lot of high intensity exercise? Sodium is the last thing I worry about with my diet because I sweat a lot. I usually lose 2 lbs during my workouts. I guess I shouldn't say it's the last thing I'm worried about, but I usually consume 2500 - 2800 mg of sodium a day. I watch it but don't fret about it. If you drink enough water you will flush it out of your system, too. This only works if you don't make a habit of eating too much of it, though.

Most of my exercise is walking-- both at my standing desk, and everywhere I go. I rarely stay stationary anymore. So my exercise isn't high intensity, but I'm moving around constantly throughout the day. I don't work up a sweat, usually, but I do regularly drink water. Maybe not enough?

I do have a habit of eating sodium-rich foods, even diet ones. I guess most foods I prefer are like that. I don't usually go over the limit too much, but I have noticed that I do go over the limit.

If you aren't sweating then you should definitely watch your salt intake. If you aren't going over by much then drinking plenty of water will help. Sodium has a bad rep but it is something our bodies need.

Have you thought about doing some high intensity workouts? I like my salt so that's why I'm okay sweating a lot! I worked so hard yesterday the humidity in my snakes tank went up 10 percent lol =)
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »
    s9l15tlap1z8.png

I weighed exactly 135 pounds in both of these pics, one year apart. Pic on the left size Mediums, 8/10 pants. Pic on the right size Small, 2/4 pants. I'll take measurements over scale weight any day! Good luck!

You look amazing!! Way off subject but great job =)
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    s9l15tlap1z8.png

Actually, it's totally on subject. No scale weight lost, but smaller.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    This is why it is good to have more than one metric for your weight loss. As one mentioned upthread, scales can be schizophrenic, the measuring tape will not lie. Just have consistent measuring points.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Am sure its been pointed out but the tape measures inches and the scale measures weight. Its inches you want.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    This is why it is good to have more than one metric for your weight loss. As one mentioned upthread, scales can be schizophrenic, the measuring tape will not lie. Just have consistent measuring points.

I've also learned to wear the same thing (or same nothing) when measuring. My bust has different measurements wearing different bras (I'm old and saggy so I have to measure while wearing a bra) so I make sure I am wearing the same one. It is my favorite style so I have been buying the same one in different sizes as I have been going down.

• MelancholyRose
    Options

That's amazing! Like everyone has suggested, I'm going to primarily watch the inches and not get too disheartened by the scale's filthy lies.

If you aren't sweating then you should definitely watch your salt intake. If you aren't going over by much then drinking plenty of water will help. Sodium has a bad rep but it is something our bodies need.

Have you thought about doing some high intensity workouts? I like my salt so that's why I'm okay sweating a lot! I worked so hard yesterday the humidity in my snakes tank went up 10 percent lol =)

I have taken it into consideration. I've been wanting to get a bike in here, but it'll have to wait for the bigger paychecks XD

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    s9l15tlap1z8.png

Thank you so much!
  • tinabobina91
    Options
    s9l15tlap1z8.png

This is mind boggling and inspiring! You look amazing! This gives me hope that I'm doing something right even if the numbers on the scale aren't changing but I am feeling and noticing small changes in my body each week :smile: I definetely need to give more importance to my measuring tape lol
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I seriously needed this post! I feel like if I keep going, and sticking to my goals, I will continue to progress!

I started doing bikram yoga 3x a week, three weeks ago, and I can't believe the changes in my body. My "back fat" is seriously reduced, my waist is smaller and I feel so amazing, but the scale went up, then down, then up again- a little over 1 pound each time! I've decided to take a scale break for a while.
  • TheRealStella47
    TheRealStella47 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Measuring tape says you are smaller ... that you occupy less space. They both are probably accurate, but they won't necessarily always match up. If you feel better, healthier, stronger, then you're doing something right.
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    s9l15tlap1z8.png

Wow that is insane how different u look but weigh the same! Awesome job and u look great!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't mess with the measuring tape anymore. I had a period when I used the measuring tape because I didn't want to look at the scale. After several weeks of losing inches I stepped on the scale and discovered I hadn't made the progress I thought I had. Exercise can make it easier to hold your gut in, but fat loss is always revealed by the scale.
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'll take inches over pounds ANY day!