Cardio and strength training!

Options
I want to lose the belly but keep the booty. Right now I do an hour of cardio on the treadmill along with Kettlebell squats and Kettlebell tricep exercises. I do this 5 times a week, sometimes more. Do you have any other exercises that works well for you, that hits these target areas?

Replies

• s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Tough call. Its very hard to "target" areas of the body that we want to improve as far as fat loss is concerned. Sucks...but thats how it goes. Seems like your cardio valume is good so stick with that. Squats are good for the legs and "booty", especially the deepr you can squat. Deeper Squat = Brings hamstrings and booty more into the mix. Kettle bells are fine for tricep work. Just try some different ones to hit the muscle in diffrent ways.

The easiest way to strip belly fat is to have a calorie deficit. But, this might cause some muscle loss too. Hard to balance. Keep up what you're doing and carefuly measure progress. Change something if you arent seeing what you desire!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You can't really target what you lose or what you keep. I'd make sure your calorie intake is correct, get on the Strong Curves program, and supplement with a little cardio (whatever you like).
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Unfortuntly, booty and boobs sometimes are the first to go. I'm working on a recomp and lost the little boobs and some booty despite squats with heavy weights. Good mornings and dead lifts are also good and target hamstrings and booty.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    As far as I know you cannot target areas. The fat comes off where it wants to and reveals the muscle underneath if there is any. Running burns tons of calories. Alternatively inline skating is quite demanding as well or biking which not only is cardio but also trains your muscles.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5X5 and steady state cardio on the same day, and HIIT excercises on alternate days. If you are always doing the treadmill all the time you might want to switch it up and do something different once in a while.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Eat good food at a calorie deficit. Lift heavy. Look into Bret Contreras - http://bretcontreras.com/about-me/ (you’ll have to click past his ad to get to the articles).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    You can't really target what you lose or what you keep. I'd make sure your calorie intake is correct, get on the Strong Curves program, and supplement with a little cardio (whatever you like).

• mlevicki91
    mlevicki91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eat good food at a calorie deficit. Lift heavy. Look into Bret Contreras - http://bretcontreras.com/about-me/ (you’ll have to click past his ad to get to the articles).

How heavy is heavy ? I'm still fairly new to all this, I want to make sure I don't hurt myself. With my squats I do 15lbs, thighs I do 70, along with a glute machine.
  • mlevicki91
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate the advice.
  • mlevicki91
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I do Stronglifts 5X5 and steady state cardio on the same day, and HIIT excercises on alternate days. If you are always doing the treadmill all the time you might want to switch it up and do something different once in a while.

What else should I do for cardio? I do 3 miles, at 4.2 and an incline of 15. I always feel the burn.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    mlevicki91 wrote: »

How heavy is heavy ? I'm still fairly new to all this, I want to make sure I don't hurt myself. With my squats I do 15lbs, thighs I do 70, along with a glute machine.

Heavy is a relative term. For example, if you set out to do three sets of ten squats and you can do all ten reps for each set with good form, then next time you should up the weight. The last few reps should be quite difficult to complete (with good form). To gain muscle mass you need to provide progressive resistance.
  • lmkeegan1
    lmkeegan1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Learn how to really swing the kettlebells. Two handed kettlebell swings with proper form will torch fat, slim your belly and keep your but nice and tight. Caution, however, these must be done properly. Watch a lot of youtube videos or get yourself a book on hardstlye russian kettle bells. You will be imressed with what the kettlebell swing will do to change the shape your body. I am currently doing a 10,000 bell swing in the month of April and have already lost 5 lbs by eating 1600 calories a day, two "free" meals on the weekend, and I don't eat back my exercise calories. My stomach is almost flat, and my butt (which is big) is looks better than ever at 55 years old.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    A book called strong curves. It has accessory lifts and can explain more.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You could get also the new weightlifting rules for women. Hook up with my friend wolfsbayne on here she does alot and knows alot about lifting etc.