big scale issue

Options
I had a cheaper needle scale and hated thay the needle stopping point when weighing changed depending on how I stood. So I bought a bettter branf and that put me and only me at ten pounds heavier than the other scale. My family members are weighing the same. My husband weighs 145 and all scales reflect so.

Dismayed, I bought a new digital scale with lots of fancy options I am weighing 210 on it and 196 on my first one.

I get there will be.differences but why only for me??? My husband and children's weights are accurate. I am the heaviest. Their weights are showing right no matter which scale they use and on the old one I am showing one weight and on the two new ones I am showing the other weight (one is digital and one is non digital, both new).

Replies

• aisha786
    aisha786 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Which non digital? I had a blue non digital originally. When the whole thing started I was 200 pounds on it. I bought a white non digital which showed me at 210 at that time. Tired of the confusion and all that, I bought a fancy digital one with body fat percents, and lots of readings. It shows me as 210 whereas the original blue one shows me at 196. The white non digital shows me at 210.

• aisha786
    Options
    All my kids and husband weigh the same no matter where they weigh. But mine is showing a significant amount, not theirs.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you like, you can check the accuracy of the scale by weighing a big unopened bag of flour/rice, or free weights if you have any lying around.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the absolute scale reading. Pick one scale and keep using that one. After all, it’s the relative changes that matter.

Besides, as you keep going, if you incorporate strength training (which I always highly encourage because it’s awesome), the scale itself won’t mean as much. I’d recommend you take your detailed measurements as well.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Did you eat or drink anything to cause a difference.? Different clothes.?
  • aisha786
    Options
  • aisha786
    Options
    I just can't understand still. I just don't feel 210. I have never been 210. Well I was 208 this morning. When I weighed yesterday it was in the middle of the afternoon etc.

The most I've ever been was 200. I had a dr appointment last year and I was 200 with clothes and shoes after breakfast and all that. I am wearing the same clothes and they are fairly loose as I've lost some weight from that time.

What can I do...well, I can just take this number, track the loss, and be extremely happy if one day I turn out to be 5 or 10 more pounds lighter. I mean the worst case scenario is I'm as the new digital says and I lose weight from here.

I weighed 5 2kg bags of flour on all three scales. It was SPOT on with the digital scale. It was a little bit under on the other two. Still sad but accepting I guess.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    aisha786 wrote: »
    I had a cheaper needle scale and hated thay the needle stopping point when weighing changed depending on how I stood. So I bought a bettter branf and that put me and only me at ten pounds heavier than the other scale. My family members are weighing the same. My husband weighs 145 and all scales reflect so.

Dismayed, I bought a new digital scale with lots of fancy options I am weighing 210 on it and 196 on my first one.

I get there will be.differences but why only for me??? My husband and children's weights are accurate. I am the heaviest. Their weights are showing right no matter which scale they use and on the old one I am showing one weight and on the two new ones I am showing the other weight (one is digital and one is non digital, both new).

I would say not to become obsessed with it. Pick one of those scales and stick to using it, and weigh in the morning after you get up and have went to the restroom. Weight naturally fluctuates throughout the day, and it can be as much as a five to ten pound difference depending on time of day, whether you've eaten or drank anything, and type of clothing you are wearing.