Replies

• Hausisse1
    Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Cheese: Full fat or GTFO
    Milk: I don't use much, but I generally go for 2%
    Coffee Creamer: Half and Half or GTFO
    Yogurt: Icelandic Skyr is 0% fat and I find it creamier than just about anything. But, if I'm going for Greek, I generally go for some fat, either "reduced" or full fat.
    Ice Cream/Gelato: Full fat or GTFO
    Cottage Cheese: Ditto

JoRocka wrote: »
    It's made of broken dreams and disappointment.

Go full fat as often as possible- just don't go crazy with it.

Seriously.

Have you tasted whole milk ricotta compared to low fat ricotta? It's a crime against humanity to have anything other than whole milk ricotta.

I personally prefer the texture of low-fat yogurt, milk and cottage cheese, but for things like ricotta, sour cream and cream cheese, yeah, I always go full-fat.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I use 3.5% turkish yoghurt and most dairy I use is full fat. I find I eat less of it and that to me the non or low- variants just taste awful (and yes with more sugar).
    I guess that these choices have a lot to do what atstes you are used to and othere taste preference. I grew up close to dairy farms and as such full fat, unhomoginised milk was not uncommon. - before anybody jumps on that one, it was pasteurised.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm probably biased because I'm from a dairy, but I only enjoy the taste of full fat dairy products. Especially yogurt - I hate the mouthful of Greek yogurt because of the high protein and lack of fat content.

Usually I buy whole milk but if I'm on a deficit I do 2%, which is the lowest I go that still tastes okay. Skim milk to me just tastes like odd water, haha.

My general opinion is if you enjoy the taste of high fat dairy foods, just enjoy them in proper serving sizes...but really, that's true for anything you eat, haha, knowing proper portions and how they fit in your diet. I don't drink as much fluid milk as some people, but I make up for it with copious amounts of cheese and butter.

I don't like eating "more" of "lower calorie" things. Instead I think it's better to savor smaller portions of rich foods that you enjoy rather than getting a product that might not have the same appeal. I don't have anything against low fat yogurt, but if I'm craving yogurt I want the full fat version, and a non-fat version falls short of what I want.

With that said, munching away on lower calorie foods isn't a bad thing. God knows I can go through popcorn and carrots/veggie sticks plenty. But the difference is I expect those foods to be lower calorie and low fat. If I'm going for a dairy product I expect them to be richer.