Calories from exercise

Options
Does anybody eat back some of the calories burned through exercise or do you just stick to the original 1200?
I'm doing okay on 1200 (so far) but get a bit peckish in the evenings, wouldn't eat rubbish but would be nice to have an extra hundred or so if i wanted them.
Thanks.x

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    yes i eat 25% back from my "earned" exercise calories
    Not even because i want to eat more, but because my body worked harder and i maybe dont want the calories but it sure need the extra nutrition's.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    MFP intends for you to eat them, that's why it gives them back to you!

Basically, it has no way of knowing ahead of time how much you plan to exercise, and if you will follow through. If MFP were say, your own personal trainer, it would probably help you set a target to burn a set number of calories in a week, and then figure that in when picking a calorie target to eat. But it can't know, so it gives you an appropriate target that would get you to your goal without exercise. When you exercise, it then gives you that back -- that way, you aren't underfuelled.

Ex. If it knew you were going to burn an extra 300 a day, it would just tell you to eat 1500. But it learns of the 300 after the fact, so you "eat it back". But it's really the same thing as saying "eat 1500 and burn off 300 a day".

Beware of potential overestimates on the burns though. Many people start by eating 50-75% or just eating as many as they feel they need, when they need them.

Oh and if you don't like the 1200 target, and would be fine to lose a bit more slowly, you can always just up your target. If 100-200 calories would up your quality of life, it may be worth it for you.
  • kellyannecandy
    kellyannecandy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you both.
    I wouldn't eat them all back anyway, probably a hundred would do me.
    I've noticed the differences in estimates can be quite big.....on the foods aswell so am trying my best to work them out myself. Have only been back on it 3 days but so far so good.
    Thanks again for the help :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    The majority of time I eat my exercise calories back, thats the way MFP is set up. That said, be very careful logging food in MFP, most of the entries are way off.
  • douglasbeale
    douglasbeale Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of them, but try to save a few hundred if I can, so that days when I want to I can go over and not feel bad about it. I use the 7 day and 30 day "Net Calories" report to make sure I'm averaging out. I've gone substantially over (as much as 800 calories) six times in the last 30 days and still lost 5 lbs. Eat some now and save some for later, it's no fun going out and eating with friends and acting like you can't eat anything.
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back because I'm not hungry.
  • kellyannecandy
    Options
    I'm trying to work out most calories for myself because some of the figures on the database just don't add up. Thanks for the advice on eating out aswell, you're right its no fun at all
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    use the usda site
    I do this a lot :)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    MFB is very generous with my regular daily allowance so I rarely eat back calories from exercise. When I do it is a small part of what MFP says I have burned. But have some reservations about the numbers it gives me. For one of my nights of martial arts training it gives me back something like 1500 calories on an average day. I might eat back 1-200 if I have had an especially heavy workout, but normally I eat at a 400 calorie deficit and just eat up to my max daily allowance on workout days. When I get closer to goal and my daily needs are lower will probably start eating back some of them.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I've heard people on here swear by doing both..eating them back..and not. I say do what works for you.. If you feel weak from working out.. your body needs fuel.
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Why eat the calories you burn and slow your progress down?

This is what I think, too.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Why eat the calories you burn and slow your progress down? Have self control!

If you are using the MFP method and have it set up correctly, you are supposed to eat them back. Self control has nothing to do with it. MFP already calculates a deficit for you, so if you exercise, you eat those calories back. You just need to make sure you are not overestimating the number of calories burned.

• kellyannecandy
    Options
    I knew your comment was going to be negative @1592984904984984089984980 and as I said I won't be eating them all back. Thanks everybody for all of your help, its only my first week so am yet to find what works best for me :smile:
  • BWBTrish
    Options

good reason is that your body needs the more nutrition's when you put it to work and that you dont want to net under the 1000 calories. Because in the end you will burn out, or even worse damage your health.

This has nothing to do with self control.

1200 calories a day is enough for sedentary living but not enough to also train a body.
    Eating back a part is not bad and wont damage your self control lol.
  • kellyannecandy
    Options
    I've just eaten a clementine......sorry self control I just couldn't resist! :p Thank you @TheOwlhouseDesigns
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    I've just eaten a clementine......sorry self control I just couldn't resist! :p Thank you @TheOwlhouseDesigns

lolzzz

your very welcome ;)

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

I would rather have slower progress than get to my goal as fast as possible and have to deal with the side effects from it. For me it has nothing to do with lack of self control and everything to do with minimizing muscle loss and not risking things like hair loss, brittle nails, irregular periods, and fatigue.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Why not eat as much as you can while still losing weight, and feel satisfied and well-nourished, instead of starving yourself?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I usually eat them back, save for 100-200 calories each day. At the end of the week I may be under my net calorie goal by up to 1000 calories, and I may choose to eat those leftover on a splurge day, or I may not.