Non fat greek yogurt

Options
I am pretty new to all of this but I have heard greek yogurt is a great substitute for almost anything and was wondering what your favorite recipes are?

I've used it in place of sour cream, which was really really good and I actually prefer that!

Any other recommendations? Marinades? Dressings? ANYTHING? I'm trying to eat as clean as possible and make everything myself.

I'm going on vacation the end of July and I wouldn't mind losing 8 - 10 lbs a month!

Replies

• hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just love dipping apples in mine for breakfast or a snack. My diary is open if you want to take a peek at my food choices...Add me if you like - for added support.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I personally don't use it as a substitute for anything...I eat it, usually with fruit as a snack.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I also dip fruit in mine and use it as I would sour cream or just eat it on the side with a meal (as I would cottage cheese). I don't do recipes with it, but I don't really cook with anything creamy like that (mayo or cream, I guess) that it could replace. Some people use it for salad dressings, but I'm an oil and vinegar (and sometimes spicy mustard) person.

I like the non fat, but tend to eat the 2% more often.
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    hstull82 wrote: »
    I just love dipping apples in mine for breakfast or a snack. My diary is open if you want to take a peek at my food choices...Add me if you like - for added support.

Doesn't that taste bitter?!
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I also dip fruit in mine and use it as I would sour cream or just eat it on the side with a meal (as I would cottage cheese). I don't do recipes with it, but I don't really cook with anything creamy like that (mayo or cream, I guess) that it could replace. Some people use it for salad dressings, but I'm an oil and vinegar (and sometimes spicy mustard) person.

I don't like the taste of it plain, but I have heard it is really good for you which is why I would like to incorporate it into my diet more!
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have used it instead of mayo for tuna and chicken salad. It actually tastes better in my opinion! I mix it with seasonings, sriracha, chopped veggies and a dash of lime/lemon juice.
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I go for a higher-fat option, at least 2%. It keeps me fuller for longer than the fat free kinds (and it tastes so much better), there is no need to be terrified of all fats.

I've made LOADS of things with greek yogurt as an ingredient. I just put some in my potato/cauliflower mash for some added creaminess. It's great in oatmeal, as an ingredient in cakes, it's great to add some herbs or soup mix for a veggie dip, it's great on it's own with maple syrup, honey or fruit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I mix it with mustard in chicken salad or as a dip for fish sticks but that's pretty much it.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Maybe mix in a bit of good quality jam? I don't know, I eat full fat with fruit. (Fat and protein combo keeps me full and happy, completely worth the extra calories, ime.)

You can also bake with it, use it in pancake mixes and the like.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat the full fat (10%) greek yogurt with nuts or nut butter and a sweetener (honey, maple syrup or brown sugar).
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Try this: Make up a pack of sugar free Jello with half the amount of water. Substitute the other half for Fat Free Greek Yoghurt.

When it sets you have a really good fruit flavour pudding.

Mine comes to 36 cals for a quarter of the whole thing, which is a big portion!
  • 56fabulous2015
    56fabulous2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to use it for breakfast - 1/2 cup of 0% with a sprinkle of cinnamon, sliced banana, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup granola. It's quick and filling. I find that it keeps the hunger away until lunch.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I don't like the taste of it plain, but I have heard it is really good for you which is why I would like to incorporate it into my diet more!

Try adding berries.

Also, experiment with different brands. I like Fage 2% the best.
  • Exegi_Corpus
    Exegi_Corpus Posts: 84 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Tzatziki :)

I use it for cold meals also... Thousand ways.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't use it as a substitute for mayo or sour cream but I do mix it with those in any recipe that calls for mayo or sour cream. I also use it a the base for my protein smoothies. And yes, yes, yes...using it for Tzatziki sauce. Now that I've discovered Greek yogurt I can't stand any of the other yogurts with that slimy texture. Lately I've been eating a lot of Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt. It has 120 calories, 15 grams of protein, 0g fat, 7g sugar, and 6g fiber. It has a whipped consistency which reminds of a mousse. Also it has no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. It's sweetened with Stevia so the sugar that is in it is from the fruit. I like to make a parfait with the vanilla flavor. I layer the yogurt with fresh berries and granola. With Fage I like the fat free just because I think it tastes better not because it is fat free.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes!
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    3 egg whites
    1/2 cup plain nonfat greek OR cottage cheese
    Dash of cinnamon
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Blend all ingredients in a blender. Cook just like regular pancakes! The whole recipe is only 300 calories. Even my super picky boyfriend loves them. Super easy to add variations like banana or chocolate chips. It's tasty if you top with greek yogurt and peanut butter as well.
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    I go for a higher-fat option, at least 2%. It keeps me fuller for longer than the fat free kinds (and it tastes so much better), there is no need to be terrified of all fats.

I've made LOADS of things with greek yogurt as an ingredient. I just put some in my potato/cauliflower mash for some added creaminess. It's great in oatmeal, as an ingredient in cakes, it's great to add some herbs or soup mix for a veggie dip, it's great on it's own with maple syrup, honey or fruit.

Thanks!! I didn't take into account that 2% fat would make me feel fuller. I could use more fat in my diet - I usually come up really short! I work all the time - like 70 hours a week average - so I don't normally get snacks in and on a good day I'm about 400 calories short of my goal..
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Protein pancakes!
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    3 egg whites
    1/2 cup plain nonfat greek OR cottage cheese
    Dash of cinnamon
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Blend all ingredients in a blender. Cook just like regular pancakes! The whole recipe is only 300 calories. Even my super picky boyfriend loves them. Super easy to add variations like banana or chocolate chips. It's tasty if you top with greek yogurt and peanut butter as well.

These sound so good!! My diet allows me to have 2 tsp of pure maple syrup =) and all of your ingredients are approved as well.. This is Monday mornings breakfast. Thanks!
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    I use it in my scrambled eggs but not the no fat kind as it's too runny ( runny eggs are the worst).
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    Tzatziki :)

I use it for cold meals also... Thousand ways.

Noob here lol.. What is tzarziki?? Haha