Question for those who vape

Options
Sorry, I didn't know where else to ask this question. Chit chat didn't seem like the right place as it seems to be all fun and games over there...

Anyway my question is to those who have gone from smoking cigarettes to using vaporisers. I have been using one for 2mths. I am very worried about the Diacetyl in the flavours, which apparently causes "popcorn lung" and goodness knows what else...
I ordered 3 flavours which are Diacetyl free, but they taste disgusting. All the yummy flavours contain it!!
What are your thoughts, are you worried about this stuff?

Replies

• europeanfitgirl
    europeanfitgirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had no idea about this popcorn lung thing. Im smoking my e-cig now and I now want to quit. Ahhhh
  • cantumelia
    cantumelia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Seriously, don´t listen to the scaremongers. Of course vaping is not healthy but is so much more healthy than smoking. It´s all about risk reduction. And it has the added benefit of appetite reduction too.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think you'd have to "vape" about 2 packs a day for it to be a concern. Though, when you're ready to wean off, maybe you have a tool to help.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have no clue and whatever that popcorn thing is, youd probably have to vape a WHOLE lot and its still probably better than the chemicals in cigs LOL

i used my e cig (just a reg menthol light type flavor similar to what i smoked) to QUIT smoking and over about 6 months reduced the nicotene from 18 to 0. i still use it on occasion but really, its a hand mouth habit now and i can take it or leave it (ex, when we were on vacation last week, i only used it when i was at my computer checking emails).

maybe work on weaning yourself off the nicotene and then reducing the hand mouth habit until you can get rid of it completely?
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't know where else to ask this question. Chit chat didn't seem like the right place as it seems to be all fun and games over there...

Anyway my question is to those who have gone from smoking cigarettes to using vaporisers. I have been using one for 2mths. I am very worried about the Diacetyl in the flavours, which apparently causes "popcorn lung" and goodness knows what else...
    I ordered 3 flavours which are Diacetyl free, but they taste disgusting. All the yummy flavours contain it!!
    What are your thoughts, are you worried about this stuff?

I tried to vape but found I have a sensitivity to the chemical compounds in them. Unless you are vaping 24/7 I don't think it would be a huge issue. You traded one habit for another but its still better than cigarettes.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The nicotine addiction is over within 48 - 72 hours of quitting cigarettes cold turkey, then it's all mental. Vaping is just prolonging the agony and still isn't good for you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not sure what chemical your talking about to be honest, and I vape. 125 days and not one smoke.

I looked it up...Diacetyl occurs naturally in alcoholic beverages and is added to some foods to impart its buttery flavor. I wouldn't worry about it....vape scaremongers.

My juice has the following 4 ingredients

Vegetable glycerin, nicotine, propylene glycol and flavor.

https://canadavapes.com/health/propylene-glycol-safety.html
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    As far as I recall all but one case of disease is from people who work in the food industry. People in the food industry have a much higher level of exposure than consumers. The one consumer with disease ate several bags of popcorn daily for 10 years.

For edible products I would not worry about Diacetyl. With a varied diet it is unlikely that you would consume enough.

As for vaping - do you think your exposure is anywhere near several bags of popcorn a day?

I vape. I rotate between 5 flavors. Only 1 of them has diacetyl in it. If all of the flavors had diacetyl I might be concerned (but this is not based on science - there really is not much information yet). Why not try some fruity flavors? I like blueberry, mango, kiwi, dragonfruit, raspberry.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I googled. Several cases from a factory, and one case from a dude who ate popcorn every day for 10 years).
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Many of our local communities are banning vaping in public places due to health concerns associated with them. The American Lung Association indicates that tests show many of the same carcinogenic properties in vapor that are in cigarettes. Many of the flavors are made in China and are not regulated. As a nurse, I would never recommend vaping to any patient who asked me.

That said, I do know of several people who successfully quit smoking with vaping. I think if using this product temporarily as a step down toward quitting smoking it would be worth the risks. Vaping just for fun doesn't seem to me to be a very good idea.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    Many of our local communities are banning vaping in public places due to health concerns associated with them. The American Lung Association indicates that tests show many of the same carcinogenic properties in vapor that are in cigarettes. Many of the flavors are made in China and are not regulated. As a nurse, I would never recommend vaping to any patient who asked me.

That said, I do know of several people who successfully quit smoking with vaping. I think if using this product temporarily as a step down toward quitting smoking it would be worth the risks. Vaping just for fun doesn't seem to me to be a very good idea.

There aren't enough studies to even say any of this.

The juice I use is made in the store as I wait...I would take vaping over smoking 100% and if you can point us to a peer reviewed study or studies that show that vaping liquid has many of the same carcinegenic properties as smoking I would love to see them.

As a nurse you should have an open mind about vaping until more studies are done...

Even my own doctor who is very anti smoking and has done studies on smoking etc isn't concerned with my vaping...as long as I am not smoking and inhaling 4000 known chemicals which include known carcinogenic chemicals she is good.
  • DaneanP
    Options
    I have no problem with more studies being done and I would be open to reading them and changing my mind should research indicate they are safe. For now, I will trust The American Lung Association and their reviews of the literature. http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/tobacco-control-advocacy/federal/e-cigarettes.html

As a nurse, I am fully capable of reaching my own conclusions based on the research I have done myself. Thanks and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop jumping to the conclusion that I do not have an open mind. You don't know me.
  • jalynn82
    jalynn82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It was a nurse that turned my family and I onto vaporizers at the end of February while we were visiting my father at the hospital. Five out of six of us have been cigarette smoke free for a month or more now thanks to using a vaporizer, and we're working on convincing the last smoker to join with us. All of those who quit, including myself, had been smokers for at least 10 years, and all had previously tried numerous ways to stop smoking with no success. We all started at a nicotine level of 18-24 and are now using 6-12, looking to be at zero by the start of summer.

I know there may be harmful effects from using the vaporizer, but there are definitely, not possibly, very harmful effects from smoking cigarettes. It is a risk I am willing to take.

I honestly don't understand all of the fear mongering associated with vaping. It's like telling a person trapped on the 10th floor of a burning building that they should rather take their chances jumping out of the window or stay put, but whatever they do, do not take the stairs because it is not 100% clear whether or not the lower floors are also engulfed in flames. I can't make sense of it.
  • DaneanP
    Options
    Well, as I said in my first post to this thread, I'm all for people using vaping as a means to quit smoking. Based on research I have read (posted in my link above) I wouldn't be in favor of non-smokers or kids thinking it is fun and harmless because, "It's just vapor" either.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I have no problem with more studies being done and I would be open to reading them and changing my mind should research indicate they are safe. For now, I will trust The American Lung Association and their reviews of the literature. http://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/tobacco-control-advocacy/federal/e-cigarettes.html

As a nurse, I am fully capable of reaching my own conclusions based on the research I have done myself. Thanks and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop jumping to the conclusion that I do not have an open mind. You don't know me.

that is not peer reviewed
    Presently there is no government oversight of these products. Absent Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulation, there is no way for the public health and medical community or consumers to know what chemicals are contained in e-cigarettes (also known as electronic nicotine delivery systems or ENDS) or what the short- and long-term health implications might be.

bolded part indicates not peer reviewed and there aren't enough studies on these products let alone peer reviewed.

and this part is indicating propylene glycol is an preservative in food and Propylene glycol is used in veterinary medicine as an oral treatment for hyperketonaemia and it is used in drugs for humans......and it has to be in high does in oral consumption by humans for it to be an issue.

as a nurse you should know this.

and based on your first post
    The American Lung Association indicates that tests show many of the same carcinogenic properties in vapor that are in cigarettes. Many of the flavors are made in China and are not regulated. As a nurse, I would never recommend vaping to any patient who asked me.
    that is closed minded.

I don't need to know you personally to see that the statement above is close minded.
  • jalynn82
    jalynn82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend my post to be directed at you as a jab, DaneanP, sorry if it came off that way. I was just putting the POV of one long-time smoker out there.

I know using a vaporizer isn't as healthy as not smoking anything at all, but I also know it appears to be leaps and bounds healthier than cigarettes. It's a risks vs benefits thing, and for me the risks are worth the benefits. I would not be recommending vaping to anyone either though unless they were a smoker looking to kick the habit.
  • DaneanP
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

that is not peer reviewed
    Presently there is no government oversight of these products. Absent Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulation, there is no way for the public health and medical community or consumers to know what chemicals are contained in e-cigarettes (also known as electronic nicotine delivery systems or ENDS) or what the short- and long-term health implications might be.

bolded part indicates not peer reviewed and there aren't enough studies on these products let alone peer reviewed.

and this part is indicating propylene glycol is an preservative in food and Propylene glycol is used in veterinary medicine as an oral treatment for hyperketonaemia and it is used in drugs for humans......and it has to be in high does in oral consumption by humans for it to be an issue.

as a nurse you should know this.

and based on your first post
    The American Lung Association indicates that tests show many of the same carcinogenic properties in vapor that are in cigarettes. Many of the flavors are made in China and are not regulated. As a nurse, I would never recommend vaping to any patient who asked me.
    that is closed minded.

I don't need to know you personally to see that the statement above is close minded.

Look obviously I have touched a nerve with you. But again, since you don't know me AT ALL I fail to see how you can leap to such a conclusion about how open my mind is.

@jalynn82 no worries. I'm not taking this personally. Just a discussion on a message board. Thanks for the post.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking using an e-cig. I looked at it as risk reduction and a tool to help me quit with the ultimate goal of getting of the vape too. I just kept lowering my nicotine until I was at zero...I did this over the course of about 6 months and then continued to vape here and there, but without the nicotine I found myself forgetting to reach for my e-cig. Ultimately, both my batteries dies and I never replaced them. I haven't smoked a cigarette in almost three years and my batteries died 2 years ago.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    the post above is great.
    to the Original poster great job on quitting smoking. Next goal should be reduce and then eliminate vape. You will be healthier and then not worry about the unregulated health risks.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

The bolded part is where you lost me. If the ALA was actually interested in the well-being of Americans' lungs, they'd all be getting on board with vaping and encouraging it as a smoke cessation product. Instead they shill for products like Nicotrol and Chantix which are far more harmful.