Documentary suggestions

Options
Hi! Tomorrow is Sunday and I'm taking a rest after a knee strain, so I'll have some time to watch a documentary/film and I'd love to learn something new.

What documentaries would you suggest, and why, on the theme of health (not necessarily weight loss, but that's a bonus)?

Replies

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    BBC has a lot of great documentaries on health and weight loss. If you Google BBC weight loss you'll find a bunch--and a lot of them are on YouTube.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't suggest any documentaries. I think that they do more harm than good with food fear mongering. Instead it would be a good idea to check into bloggers and health writers who have well rounded and reasonable approaches to fitness and food (not fear mongering), like Nia Shanks and Go Kaleo.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Why Are Thin People Not Fat
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAQr77QMJiw

The Truth About Food 1/6 (the rest are all on youtube as well if you like the first one)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXZ1dH7tJWw

This is more for entertainment, but Secret Eaters is awesome if you havent seen it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJrC3RTtgQ

Hungry for change is great, its on Netflix

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Salinger was good. I think his mental health could be called into question.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It's not weight loss related but I thought bigger stronger faster was quite interesting - it's about steroids.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It's not weight loss related but I thought bigger stronger faster was quite interesting - it's about steroids.

I found this one very interesting as well. It was pretty well done.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Hi! Tomorrow is Sunday and I'm taking a rest after a knee strain, so I'll have some time to watch a documentary/film and I'd love to learn something new.

What documentaries would you suggest, and why, on the theme of health (not necessarily weight loss, but that's a bonus)?

Not health related at all but binge watch Time Team. So awesome!
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, I've seen a few of them. Thank you for the suggestion on reading as well, I have already done some looking :)

I understand the need to think critically when viewing any form of media- especially ones around weight loss and pseudo-science.
  • trinatrina1984
    Options
    Completely un fitness related but I thought Searching for Sugar Man was really good.
  • mrsswisspea
    Options
    Omg I love Time Team! I may very well do that :)

• trinatrina1984
    edited April 2015
    Options

Haha it's weird you have Time Team in America - it's the most British show ever ( I assume it's a remake of the UK show?)

Here's a "star" of the UK show - he's a bit of a legend

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I don't suggest any documentaries. I think that they do more harm than good with food fear mongering. Instead it would be a good idea to check into bloggers and health writers who have well rounded and reasonable approaches to fitness and food (not fear mongering), like Nia Shanks and Go Kaleo.

This x1000

If you want fitness/athletic documentaries I'd recommend any and all 30for30's by ESPN.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Completely un fitness related but I thought Searching for Sugar Man was really good.
    Oh that one is excellent.
  • mrsswisspea
    edited April 2015
    Options
    To explain: I'm Canadian and my husband is English and Swiss. We live in Switzerland and our only TV in English is actual English TV. He is indeed a hero.

Haha it's weird you have Time Team in America - it's the most British show ever ( I assume it's a remake of the UK show?)

• trinatrina1984
    Options
    To explain: I'm Canadian and my husband is English and Swiss. We live in Switzerland and our only TV in English is actual English TV. He is indeed a hero.

Ah ok phew, I had images of a weird American remake where all the presenters are really hot and it's really over dramatic.
  • mrsswisspea
    Options
    That is exactly how they would destroy the program... I give it two years.

Ah ok phew, I had images of a weird American remake where all the presenters are really hot and it's really over dramatic.

• Tubbs216
    Options
    That is exactly how they would destroy the program... I give it two years.

See also: Broadchurch/Gracepoint.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Do you have Netflix? If you fancy an engrossing binge-watch, I'd recommend Happy Valley.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Desert Runners is pretty good, if you find running even remotely interesting.

There's also a great documentary about Greg Lemond and Le Tour called Slaying the Badger. Poor man is still trying to recover from Lance Armstrong's slander campaign, so he is very open and honest in the interviews. Tangentially, there's another one on Netflix about Lance's career where Greg Lemond (and, uh, just about everyone else in cycling) gets to say their piece about him.