Losing inches everywhere but my tummy! grrr

Options
I thought I'd ask your opinion on my situation here...... I started the 30 Day Shred 9 days ago. I have lost
inches everywhere but my stomach!! I'm not going to measure again until I get through Level 2 of the
program, which I start today. I'm happy that it's working, don't get me wrong, but my tummy "pooch" really
needs to go, and I'm trying sooooo hard!! What am I doing wrong???? :grumble:

Keep in mind, I don't just do the 25 minute DVD each day. I always throw in cardio too, whether it be my
elliptical or going for a long power walk. I exercise a lot!! I even do extra crunches, and stay under my
calorie goal. What's the deal??? Any idea???

Thanks so much!!!! :smile:

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    You can’t target fat loss. The areas where you lose/gain are determined by your genetics. An overall loss in fat will reduce your belly fat in time.
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with GRlandr, I know how frustrating it can be though. Keep up the good work, it will happen eventually!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I've read that the waist is the very last place a woman loses weight. Not sure why, but I have lost inches on my hips and at the belly button level but not at my true waist. Keep at it!
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    You can’t target fat loss. The areas where you lose/gain are determined by your genetics. An overall loss in fat will reduce your belly fat in time.

::sigh:: ohhhh, it sucks, but this is TRUE. Unfortunately, this is about the last place it is going to go too. But, I just love JM's crunches on there. I love that my whole tummy gets wrked. I'm sure it is helping, just be patient and give your tummy some time :)
  • soultrain1913
    soultrain1913 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi. Same problem here. Just wanted you to know that you aren't alone! :-)
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's the last place for me to go - but first place I gain. Hang in there - once you lose overall fat the tummy will go too.
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been told to not go too hard with crunches in the beginning because you will add inches... You know? Building muscle under the chub. So you may have lost some, but gained it in muscle. Still do ab workouts but more toning. Just my suggestion.
  • MMarie25
    MMarie25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it, how long you been doing it? are you eating pretty well, just try to make sure to eat about 4-5 times a day, and smaller portions, and cut the sweets, sodas, chips, fast food. LOTS of water, I drink about 4-5 water bottles a day. :)
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    Thank You!! :smile:

I get really self conscious about my belly, I think that's why it bothers me so much that that was the one place
    I hadn't lost anything!! I really hope it goes away eventually....... I really hate it!!!
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options

this is soooo upsetting but true, but I know that doing lots of cardio, strentgh training and dieting will make a difference with your overall physique! keep up the good work

BTW I feel your pain, I feel like a turkey, thin legs and arms and a big gut (the joys of being a woman :laugh: )
  • mykaanderson
    Options
    That's my "trouble" area too. Some days it's gone and like today here it is so I just take it day by day and continue on my journey. You will find over all loss to it though over time. We are woman and depending on the time of month, your genetic make up and a million other factors I think it can be hard but keep your eyes forward and do your best and I know you'll see results. As well you can maybe try more core exercises in your routine and that might help too.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Tummy is definitely the last place to go for me =(
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they're right you can't spot train, which I think really sucks :laugh:. I have a similar problem. I am bottom heavy and losing inches in my thighs is taking a bit long than everywhere else. Keep up the good work and it'll happen.
  • matwood74
    Options
    Uggghhhh...... I hate it that some days my belly looks flatter, and other days it's bloated and
    I look pregnant!! So annoying!!! Oh and I just did Level 2 of the Shred and it SUCKS!!! Sooo
    hard!!! :sad:
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The not targeting fat loss thing is true, however, there are a couple of things you can do to make sure you are stacking the deck in your favor.

1) Make sure you are doing your crunches correctly. If not, you can actually build a pooch out of muscle.

2) Try mixing your cardio up with pilates. Pilates is good for toning and strengthening all your core muscles, which will have the nice side benefits of improving your posture and holding your belly in.
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Uggghhhh...... I hate it that some days my belly looks flatter, and other days it's bloated and
    I look pregnant!! So annoying!!! Oh and I just did Level 2 of the Shred and it SUCKS!!! Sooo
    hard!!! :sad:

Drinking water helps with the bloat.
  • micki59
    micki59 Posts: 25
    Options
    Oh, I was sooo glad to find this thread..(well not "glad" - but knowing i'm not the only one :smile: helps!) I have waited a month to measure and was hoping I would see some results..I did lose weight but of course want INSTANT gratification (thin in a month..:laugh: ...and found my waist 2" TWO!! BIGGER! I am so bummed out. Everything else went down a little bit but that is my biggest problem too..It was just depressing. I guess measuring in the same spot is difficult too.

Oh a question I have is: Any way for our graph reports to show how many inches lost total or we just have to add them all up ourselves..I'm lazy..LOL

Same question with calories, nothing shows what my "baseline" calorie intake should be as opposed to what actual was. Anybody know if we can do that with these reports?

Thanks! Have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • matwood74
    Options
    I don't know about what you can chart exactly..... maybe someone else can answer that one!! :wink:
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Oh, I was sooo glad to find this thread..(well not "glad" - but knowing i'm not the only one :smile: helps!) I have waited a month to measure and was hoping I would see some results..I did lose weight but of course want INSTANT gratification (thin in a month..:laugh: ...and found my waist 2" TWO!! BIGGER! I am so bummed out. Everything else went down a little bit but that is my biggest problem too..It was just depressing. I guess measuring in the same spot is difficult too.

Oh a question I have is: Any way for our graph reports to show how many inches lost total or we just have to add them all up ourselves..I'm lazy..LOL

Same question with calories, nothing shows what my "baseline" calorie intake should be as opposed to what actual was. Anybody know if we can do that with these reports?

Thanks! Have a great day! :flowerforyou:

I don't think you can do any of that here, but you could do it all in Excel; that's how i track all of my stats.