hard boiled egg calories?

jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get more fat and protein in my diet to help fill me up, so I've started to eat boiled eggs for snacks. I weighed out the egg before boiling it and it was 61 grams. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to weigh the egg before or after I boiled it, but I figured it would be better before since it would be in it's natural state. Would it have been better to boil the egg, remove the shell, and then weigh it? I was wondering if anyone knows how many calories it would be. I really want to make sure I know the correct amount.

The egg I have is pretty small, but I'm not sure if it's small or medium. It says that a small hard boiled egg is 60 calories and a medium is 70. But when I check for 61 grams, it says that's 90 calories, so I'm a bit confused.

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    I've never weighed an egg. I just always add the size of egg (large/extra large) and don't worry about any tiny variations. Calories will be the same before and after cooking anyway.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    There should be egg variations in the database. For example, "Egg, raw" or "Egg, boiled."
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I weigh my eggs without the shell... because I don't eat the shell.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I've never weighed an egg. I just always add the size of egg (large/extra large) and don't worry about any tiny variations. Calories will be the same before and after cooking anyway.

If it's a standard size this is fine.

I get farm eggs that vary in size a lot, so do weigh them, but the USDA entries don't include the shell. There should be a hard boiled option.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Gonna be around 70-80 cal. if it's a large.
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    If you buy your eggs at Albert Heyn there are a few correct entries for those in the database. If you buy them elsewhere, most of them have the calories notes on the carton per 100 gr. so you could create your own entry.
  • jenniator
    If you buy your eggs at Albert Heyn there are a few correct entries for those in the database. If you buy them elsewhere, most of them have the calories notes on the carton per 100 gr. so you could create your own entry.

I actually buy them at a small turkish shop. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any calorie content label on them, so I just weighed the egg including the shell to get a general idea. It is a pretty small egg, but I'm not sure if it would be small or medium. It says that a small hard boiled egg is 60 calories and a medium is 70. But when I check for 61 grams, it says that's 90 calories, so I'm a bit confused.
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    Not sure if you read Dutch? If I'm not confident about an entry here and the packaging is unclear I usually check the voedingswaardetabel. Eggs: http://www.voedingswaardetabel.nl/voedingswaarde/voedingsmiddel/?id=271
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    I don't weigh eggs, personally (one of the only things I don't weigh.) I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong?) that the main reason for calorie differences when having eggs comes from whatever is added during the cooking method, e.g. if you make scrambled egg in a pot with milk, then the milk adds calories to the meal, and if you fry an egg, you have added calories from the oil. The basic calorie content per unaltered egg is the same before and after cooking, so an egg boiled normally in water in it's shell should be the same calories once cooked as it was raw.

I mainly boil eggs, occasionally scramble with milk, once in a blue moon have a fried one, and I pretty much always just use an 80 cal database entry per egg, and add seperate calories for the milk/oil/whatever.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    jenniator wrote: »

I actually buy them at a small turkish shop. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any calorie content label on them, so I just weighed the egg including the shell to get a general idea. It is a pretty small egg, but I'm not sure if it would be small or medium. It says that a small hard boiled egg is 60 calories and a medium is 70. But when I check for 61 grams, it says that's 90 calories, so I'm a bit confused.

61 grams is quite a large egg (as the weights are without the shell). My farm eggs vary from about 40 grams to about 65. If you weigh with the shell you are overestimating the size. The best entry is probably "eggs, hard boiled (whole egg)" without the asterisk.
  • jenniator
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jenniator wrote: »

61 grams is quite a large egg (as the weights are without the shell). My farm eggs vary from about 40 grams to about 65. If you weigh with the shell you are overestimating the size. The best entry is probably "eggs, hard boiled (whole egg)" without the asterisk.

Thank you! I did weigh it with the shell on. I was in a hurry and i didn't think the shell would add much of a difference.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    You can weigh a hard boiled egg without the shell. The idea behind weight food before you cook it is that the food will lose water when you cook it (thus lowering the weight) and since everyone cooks differently there is no standard way to account for the variations in water loss for every given person.

That being said, a hard boiled egg is an exception because it does not lose any water when it is cooked, so it will weight the same cooked as it did raw.
  • jenniator
    NaurielR wrote: »
    You can weigh a hard boiled egg without the shell. The idea behind weight food before you cook it is that the food will lose water when you cook it (thus lowering the weight) and since everyone cooks differently there is no standard way to account for the variations in water loss for every given person.

That being said, a hard boiled egg is an exception because it does not lose any water when it is cooked, so it will weight the same cooked as it did raw.

Wow thank you so much for the clarification! I always heard you should weigh foods before you cook it. I'm glad to know boiled eggs are a exception! I was worried they would weigh more afterwards.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I don't weigh my eggs. I buy them at the store and always get large. Eggs are sized according to the average weight per dozen and I live alone so I am the only one eating them, so an average weight is just fine for me. I can see needing to weigh if you are able to get farm eggs or have your own backyard chickens.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Nutrition data (source): Hard boiled egg, no shell, 100gram = 155kcal, 11fat (3sat), 424mg cholesterol, 124sodium, 1gmcarb, 13gm prot
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Eggs are typically sized by weight, at the farm, where they weigh the egg in the Shell....

61g egg would likely be an extra large egg.

I never weigh ours - cartons are a certain weight, with all the eggs being roughly the same size. It averages out over the week.