leftover calories

Options
I have just logged my dinner but I still have 480 calories left! I'm not hungry so was wondering how many calories are sensible to leave?

Replies

• fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, you could just leave them for another day? Always nice to have a few spare for a meal out or an extra helping of dessert :p
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I work mine over the month. Have got a few hundred for most days last week left over. Will use them at some point and have something I haven't had for a while.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    save for another day :)
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you've eaten already? Are you eating less than what you should be eating?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry I wouldn't worry about it. I often find that if I've eaten over one day, I'm not hungry the next. It averages out over the week. HOWEVER if I'm really low - 800 calories say - I'll make sure I eat so I'm within 500 calories.

If you eat too little your body doesn't react to low calories - until you want to binge. Don't get into that pattern.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Can I have them?
  • angelbarbz123
    angelbarbz123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If your not hungry but still need to fill in those calories my reccomendation, is to wait a little while, maybe and hour or two, and eat something that is healthy or like i do, eat something indulgent and healthy in the same, like greek vanilla yogurt with some strawberries or mango, that will leave you with just the right amount of calories left to spare that you could save for another day! But make sure you fill in your calories around the preferred amount, just don't go above! :smile:
  • angelbarbz123
    angelbarbz123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    *side note* don't be too below your calorie amount either, going that way will starve your body and lead you to eat over without really thinking you are. I like to check my nutrition on here to make sure I'm getting in the right amount of macros and calories for the day :smile:
  • swivkeou
    swivkeou Posts: 1
    Options
    Catplumb wrote: »
    I have just logged my dinner but I still have 480 calories left! I'm not hungry so was wondering how many calories are sensible to leave?

• Catplumb
    Catplumb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    *side note* don't be too below your calorie amount either, going that way will starve your body and lead you to eat over without really thinking you are. I like to check my nutrition on here to make sure I'm getting in the right amount of macros and calories for the day :smile:

I am trying not to leave more than 300 calories at the end of the day.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If I've got less than 500 I don't worry about it. I may pick them up another day. If it's more than that I'll have a small snack around 9 (we eat at 6). I usually want something then and that will get me down to just a few hundred deficit.
  • lico0306
    lico0306 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually have 300-500 extra a day.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat as close as I can to what my TDEE is set as and don't worry about left over calories for the day.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lico0306 wrote: »
    I usually have 300-500 extra a day.

I usually have about 200-350 left over at the end of the day.
  • Catplumb
    Catplumb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Catplumb wrote: »

Ah...I see the issue here. You've posted in the maintenance forum when you're still trying to lose weight. Different answers for different situations.

For weight loss, so long as you're getting your nutrition in, it's ok to leave calories on the table and maybe eat some back later. For maintenance, you should be trying to eat all of them or you'll still lose weight.

Oops! Sorry!
  • bopcial
    bopcial Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you can save the extras over for another day ? I just don't like any of my bars being in the red :P
  • armygirl165
    armygirl165 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you're getting at least 1200 a day then it's all good!