Moderation shmoderation

Options
Anyone else out there wonder how it is that people can say, "it's ok to have sweets, just so long as it's in moderation."? What?! If I have a doughnut, I want 2. If I grab an m&m from the candy bowl once, you can bet I'll be back around for a 2nd, 3rd and let's be honest, 4th, 5th and 6th. If anyone out there has struggled with this same problem and figured out a cure to this, please please enlighten me. I can't imagine depriving myself of deliciousness forever but I also don't want to go to bed hating myself for one small bite that turned into a weekend long binge. Sincerely, CadburyEgg SugarComa

Replies

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I want the weight gone more than I want to be a glutton. That is how I can stop at one.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It takes a shitload of willpower and dedication AND practice to stop at 5 m&ms or 8.14 chips. Thats my only explanation :wink:
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. It was tough at first, but for the meantime, I just cut them out of my plan (for now that is), but I am getting to the point where I will start having some chocolate, ice cream, etc. I am (for now) sticking with fruit, yogurt for my sweets. I've been pretty good so far. Hubby's having almond poppy seed muffins. They are huge, but no nutritional info, so I could only guess at the amount. I was thinking maybe 50??? :grin: Ha ha yeah right, more like 500 +. But, after almost 2 months without the baked yummies, I am not craving them and a banana feels decadent now. I'm having that with blueberries and yogurt tonight :smile: I am going to have chocolate ice cream next week, but fit it into my calorie goal and see if I go nuts for seconds?? I think I can do this now, but It was major difficult before. Ahh jeez all this talking about chocolate is making me want to dip my banana in it, roll it in nuts, freeze and eat it OMG yumm. :love:
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    "I punish my body outdoors to atone for my atrocities indoors."-The Oatmeal

I either can force myself to have just one or I force myself to run. I exercise to be able to treat myself to the goodies.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Read it. It's funny. :smiley:
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ITA with Christine! It's willpower. Some days you will have more than others. As long as you don't let one off day or off meal derail you completely, you will be fine.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

I either can force myself to have just one or I force myself to run. I exercise to be able to treat myself to the goodies.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Read it. It's funny. :smiley:

Me likes this method of thought :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,923 Member
    Options
    I started with pre portioned baggies of goodies that were in the drawer and rules as to how I was allowed to eat them. one at a time, get back up and get another one, short walk before you get a third one, walk to the store and back to get a high value item.

All that together with paying for over indulging a few times by not having room for dinner, or having to earn dinner, or just failing to meet my goal, has eventually led to better decisions, including the absence of certain things from the house and still having to walk to the store to get them if they're really wanted!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate, wine, ice cream and I want to lose weight. So I've learned moderation so I can be happy and lose weight. I don't know, I guess willpower and taking small steps.
  • benmclin331
    benmclin331 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me, I find that avoiding all snack foods is best for MY health. But this is only for ME. Most people however find that they just have to include snacks in their diet... The best advice that I can offer you is to have your treats, savor the flavors and enjoy the treat. Take a longer time to think about how delicious it is instead of gorging mindlessly. I can almost guarantee this technique will leave you feeling better.... That's how a habit of moderation is formed...
  • camillemarielee
    camillemarielee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I make a batch of cookies, and I want to eat four of them. Or five or ten. For me, it's about getting into the mindset of working within my calorie allowance. I budget treats (aka sweets for me) into my calories every day, usually as dessert after dinner. If I know I have enough calories for one awesome donut, then I take my time enjoying it, and when it's gone, it's gone! No option to have more. If I don't want to be "limited" to one dessert, I'll budget 75 calories of one thing and 100 of another (or something like that).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also if it's not in the house, i cant eat it! I have yet to have such a severe craving that i've jumped in my car and driven all the way to the shop to get it . Majority of the time i just couldn't be bothered
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Increase the amount of protein that you are eating on a daily basis.

Also, if you are eating M&Ms, have some chicken, or Greek yogurt, or cottage cheese, or some other protein source at the same time. The protein will help to moderate the blood sugar spike that you would get from eating the M&Ms by themselves. That will mediate the insulin response to the rise in blood sugar, and therefore won't lead to a drastic drop in blood sugar from the insulin response and won't lead to you reaching for the M&Ms again.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Maybe you can stay away from those thing for a while? And just focus on your goal.

We don't all have to go about things the same exact way. Some find comfort in enjoying m&m's often during their process... others find it easier to go cold turkey. Others save them for a programmed cheat meal (or whatever you call it) or special events. Do whatever doesn't drive you crazy. Be kind to yourself and do what gives you peace of mind and enjoyment... and ditch what makes you anxious and fretful.

If you do cave in and binge, though, just consider that the little "episode" slowed down your weekly process or so a bit... it doesn't mean it stopped the whole damn thang :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

That's great, unless you live in BBQ country...

Moderation works for some people and is a disaster for others. Elimination works for some people and is a disaster for others. Use what works best for *you*.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of chocolate every day. So I work my a** off at the gym!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Also if it's not in the house, i cant eat it! I have yet to have such a severe craving that i've jumped in my car and driven all the way to the shop to get. Majority of the time i just couldn't be bothered

This is mainly our strategy as well. We find it really easy to say no at the grocery store, but once it's home, it becomes much harder!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    My husband has his Pringles crisps in the pantry.... For more than a half year ago i would eat them.... Now i took a couple a few days ago. Enjoy them and moved on.

My weight loss is more important than some yummie Pringles.
    I will still eat them...but only when it suits me and when they fit in my calorie allowance.... If i want them i make it fit lol
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I choose not to eat them. At all. It's easier for me to say no to the first cookie than it is to say no to the second, third, etc.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Anyone else out there wonder how it is that people can say, "it's ok to have sweets, just so long as it's in moderation."? What?! If I have a doughnut, I want 2. If I grab an m&m from the candy bowl once, you can bet I'll be back around for a 2nd, 3rd and let's be honest, 4th, 5th and 6th. If anyone out there has struggled with this same problem and figured out a cure to this, please please enlighten me. I can't imagine depriving myself of deliciousness forever but I also don't want to go to bed hating myself for one small bite that turned into a weekend long binge. Sincerely, CadburyEgg SugarComa
    I remember those days, but they are long gone. I had cut out certain foods for many years until I figured out this thing about moderation. I take package out, weigh portion, log it, put package away, and eat. If I can do it, anyone can. :) I am successful about 90% of the time, which works just fine for me.