What do you eat before an early morning workout?

Options
13»

Replies

• Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    coffee... lots of black coffee..
  • Terryb99
    Terryb99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I work out around 430 am. I have either Jack 3d or Beachbody Energy and Endurance Pre-Workout Formula when I am home. When I am traveling I just make a cup of hotel room coffee before I work out.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If I was going to eat something (which I don't since I workout very early before it's even time to eat 4AM) I would make a pea protein green smoothie:
    Vanilla Pea Protein
    fistful of curly parsley
    vanilla, stevia
    water, Ice
    Nutribullet
  • tta1000
    tta1000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    abarriere wrote: »
    before 5 am personal training sessions, i either eat an egg on a piece of toast, or a piece of toast with peanut butter, or 1/2 of a green smoothie and save the other half for after. I can't go on an empty stomach because I get dizzy if I do.

• tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You don't "need" to. Test what works best for you.

Weights - I ate nothing. No big deal.

Long, steady ride? Toast with banana/jam/PB. Or cereal. Or sometimes nothing to stimulate fat use/glycogen sparing.

Hard workout with intervals - now that's tough. Probably just sip sports drink with calories plus coffee. Learned the hard way.

Long group ride that starts early and hard and has maximal effortintervals? Tricky, and probably screwed. Start the night before with a late night snack. Last time I got this one wrong my PB/banana/bread slice tried to come back. Many times, as stated in " learned the hard way" above. White bread. Instant oats. Banana. Simplest carbs possibles with no fiber/no fat.

• htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll take my gummy vitamins.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    banana or a yogurt
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have an 80 calorie cheese stick. It's fast and convenient, not to heavy and gives me protein. I used to not eat anything before a workout, but found the cheese stick helped keep the migraines away.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I wake up, get dressed, take my morning vitamins and pills then go to the y four my 6000 yard swim. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't. If I stop long enough to eat, I'll talk myself out of going and go back to bed.
  • XDoodlebugger
    XDoodlebugger Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    A banana.

8130979.png
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Add me to the nothing group. I get up at 5:30 and get to the gym around 6am. I generally drink about 0.5L of water, since I'm a little dehydrated in the morning, and then refill my water bottle so I have enough for the workout :)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    bryjess95 wrote: »
    I know I need to provide my body with some fuel before a workout

This is not true for everyone. I suggest you experiment with both the size and type of your meal (if any).

Sometimes I eat first, but I usually perform best if my stomach is empty beforehand. Everyone is different

• Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Cking1162 wrote: »
    Nothing--I don't force it when i am not hungry. But, I will drink a glass or two of water before I work out!

^^^Ditto this. Plus I drink water throughout the workout. Immediately after my workout, I have breakfast.
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do a banana before and a glass of chocolate milk afterwards. <3 I get out anywhere between 4:30 and 6am.
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 1 hour before going to the gym. Usually cereal. I have an hiatus hernia so I have to eat food that I know won't cause reflux. Eating nothing can also cause that.
  • Minkaky_
    Minkaky_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Smoothie which includes blueberries, some banana, avocado and ricemilk. Easy to digest and it gives me great energy to workout at the gym.