HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION

Options
b914
b914 Posts: 3 Member
This is a complete hypothetical question. It is idiotic and I would never do it but I'm curious. I know alcohol is basically anti-muscle. But what if every time you worked out you were drunk? You're still breaking muscle and continuously working out everyday, but you are also drunk. Would you slowly gain muscle, stay the same, or lose muscle? hypothetical question, but scientifically I'm wondering what would happen.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    What would happen while working out drunk? Very likely drop the heavy equipment on your head or feet, you could Injury yourself due to bad form.

• goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    According to the following article you would definitely have problems with muscle growth (and many other things) if you drink alcohol up to a few days before working out. Interesting read.
    bodybuilding.com/fun/swordchucks3.htm
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    What would happen while working out drunk? Very likely drop the heavy equipment on your head or feet, you could Injury yourself due to bad form.

+1
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options

+1

+2 - You may also need to worry about broken bones.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that if you smoke a joint and go to kickboxing class, you just might punch yourself in the face.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    b914 wrote: »
    This is a complete hypothetical question. It is idiotic and I would never do it but I'm curious. I know alcohol is basically anti-muscle. But what if every time you worked out you were drunk? You're still breaking muscle and continuously working out everyday, but you are also drunk. Would you slowly gain muscle, stay the same, or lose muscle? hypothetical question, but scientifically I'm wondering what would happen.

You can pretty much stop with your hypothetical question right there since your base premise has no basis in reality.
  • glevinso
    Options
    According to the following article you would definitely have problems with muscle growth (and many other things) if you drink alcohol up to a few days before working out. Interesting read.
    This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read. It was a troll article right?
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Actually... There is a movie about this already.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080179/
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I can tell you that if you smoke a joint and go to kickboxing class, you just might punch yourself in the face.

I'm curious if that is from personal experience... :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is anti-muscle?? What does that even mean?
  • glevinso
    Options
    Apparently some sort of bro-science is at work here...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

I didn't think it was a very good read at all....
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

But he used the terms "Anabolism", "Protein Synthesis", and "Muscle Glycogen". That seems pretty scientific to me. He also referenced About.com. I'd be curious to see how you could possibly debunk his claims given his use of well developed academic sources and scientific terminology.
  • glevinso
    Options
    jchite84 wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »

But he used the terms "Anabolism", "Protein Synthesis", and "Muscle Glycogen". That seems pretty scientific to me. He also referenced About.com. I'd be curious to see how you could possibly debunk his claims given his use of well developed academic sources and scientific terminology.

Ahh never mind... I didn't see the about.com citation. I am academically defeated!
  • b914
    Options
    this kinda went in a totally different direction of my hypothetical question. I asked this because I have an alcoholic friend who is very muscular and works out everyday. He doesn't seem to be affective by alcohols affect on muscle which is why I asked this question
  • b914
    Options
    my point is he got results even though he drinks heavily. My HYPOTHETICAL question is, if you drank 7/7 days of the week can you still get results. sorry if I was unclear in the original post
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, because alcohol isn't anti-muscle.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

This.

To pose my own question, I know you need to be in a surplus to build muscle- Does it matter if those extra calories are from alcohol or carbs/protein/fat?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

This.

To pose my own question, I know you need to be in a surplus to build muscle- Does it matter if those extra calories are from alcohol or carbs/protein/fat?

You don't even have to be in a surplus.