Hypo Thyroid

Options
Hi
New to this concept, I am a slimming class addict for over 20 years and now realise this isnt working.
My problems grew along with my size 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid.
My symptoms are managed by 100mg of levorthyroxine each day but it still leaves me with the problem of carrying two extra stone in weight that I just cant shift.
Does anyone else have this problem.

Replies

• goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have had the problem for over 20 years. I was diagnosed with an under-active thyroid over 20 years ago. I probably gained about 30 pounds before I was diagnosed. I carried those extra pounds plus picked up a few more along the way until last summer, when I was unable to get one of my medication due to some insurance issues. I was able to get the levothyroxine, but not the cytomel. So, while the battle went on with the insurance company I gained about 40 pounds. Actually, the weight was the least of my troubles. The exhaustion, hair falling out, depression and anxiety were far worse. But, finally, after 3 months I was able to get my medication. I started feeling much better, but all that weight isn't gonna just disappear. So, in November I started counting my calories, being very honest and vigilant and logging every single day. I have lost over 60 pounds in 5 months. All by counting calories. Yes, we may have a harder time losing the extra weight, but we can do it! NO EXCUSES has been my motto. Good luck Kimberley.
  • aventuramt
    aventuramt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here. I believe I have Cushing or under active thyroid. My mother and my two aunts have thyroid issues. I have been active all my life until I broke my foot almost two years ago. Then after I was able to walk without cast and pain I started to walk 3 miles every day. Plus I take care of house chores and so on , no matter what I do , I am 160 pounds bigger all god unable to lose weight, my doctor told me to "close my mouth and stop eating"
    In desperation , I started to log all my food and I never eat more than 1200 cal a day, and it takes a lot of effort to reach that number on what I eat, mostly all vegetables, seeds and whole brown rice , beans and nuts.
  • kimberleylamb1
    kimberleylamb1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply, you give me hope where I had none.
    The tiredness is a big one for me too, everything is such a huge effort.
    I am also awaiting a hysterectomy this year so I have been put on prostap injections monthly along with livial hrt which both have weight gain side effects, I sometimes feel like I am running up hill with a back pack full of cement.
    Thanks for your positive comments, they really do mean a lot.
    Good luck on your journey and thanks again
    kIM X
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost more slowly than most MFPers—so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

I did it by following the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1