Too much protein???

Options
I keep ending up slightly under my calorie goal, but am consistently over my protein daily goal? I am thinking protein is good, but should I be concerned?

Thoughts?

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    No concern. Better than over in sugar, and a little extra thermogenic boost on top if it.
  • jghoffman
    jghoffman Posts: 9
    Options
    I keep ending up slightly under my calorie goal, but am consistently over my protein daily goal? I am thinking protein is good, but should I be concerned?

Thoughts?

No don't be concerned.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    I'm in the same boat b/c I love love love soy and tofu! I've been this way for years and even my doctor has said it isn't a bad thing. You can always add more veggies to even it out!
  • busymomyof3
    busymomyof3 Posts: 31
    Options
    good question. i have the same issue... i'll be checkin back later for more responses
  • markomark
    markomark Posts: 22
    Options
    Not at all. Especially if it is only a little over. Better to go over on protein than fat or carbs.
    Also, high protein foods keep you fuller for longer so you are obviously doing the right things :)
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be concerned if you're a little over. If you're calories are on par with where you need to be, you're good. Losing weight is all about burning more calories than you take in - no matter the source (protein, fats or carbs). You need everything to lead a healthy life, but you're body isn't going to freak out if you eat an extra piece of fish or some soynuts.
  • jghoffman
    Options
    Since there seems to be some concern over this issue I'll try to expand on what I have learned from research and nutritionist. Protein is used to feed the muscles in your body and aid in recover regardless if you are lifting weights to gain muscle or doing cardio to burn fat. Excess protein is just that excess and your body does not store it and convert that into fat. That is would excess sugars and carbohydrates.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    MFP's default is 15% of total calories coming from protein. This is the absolute bare minimum a person needs. A better range, especially if you're exercising, is 25-35% of total calories. Some people eat up to their body weight in protein (i.e. you weigh 150lbs., you consume 150g of protein), especially on days when you lift heavy weights. Protein helps to minimize muscle loss when you're operating at a calorie deficit.

You can customize your goals by going to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Save your changes. I have mine set to 45/25/30% (carbs, fat, protein) which is a good balance of macros. I also highly recommend you increase fiber to at least 25g per day and lower MFP's default sodium level.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Excess protein is just that excess and your body does not store it and convert that into fat. That is would excess sugars and carbohydrates.

I've never heard this & frankly do not believe it.

Extra CALORIES are extra calories. Too much protein that isn't used for building muscle, et al., doesn't just pass through the body. If it's turned into blood sugar then it's a candidate for fat storage.

I personally don't worry about going over on protein - I just try to keep it as close to the target as possible without freaking out if I'm over by 2-3% And I try to keep just a shade under my calories.

The body is amazingly adaptable to what we eat, so as long as I aim for balance and moderation, I just don't worry.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Excess protein most certainly can be moved to fat storage.
  • jghoffman
    Options
    Excess protein is just that excess and your body does not store it and convert that into fat. That is would excess sugars and carbohydrates.

I've never heard this & frankly do not believe it.

Extra CALORIES are extra calories. Too much protein that isn't used for building muscle, et al., doesn't just pass through the body. If it's turned into blood sugar then it's a candidate for fat storage.

I personally don't worry about going over on protein - I just try to keep it as close to the target as possible without freaking out if I'm over by 2-3% And I try to keep just a shade under my calories.

The body is amazingly adaptable to what we eat, so as long as I aim for balance and moderation, I just don't worry.

Mtsidad,
    Perhaps I should rephrase. You are correct, I am working under the assumption that the person is staying within the range of their calorie goal. Your calories are what's important. But the odds of protein being converted to fat in any quantitatively meaningful fashion is difficult to do. Certain amino acids are processed to a great degree in the liver and this can produce glucose, ketones and a few other things. But triglycerides (the storage form of ‘fat’) isn’t one of them. I imagine that if protein were going to be converted to fat, it would first have to be converted to glucose and only if the amount produced were then in excess of daily maintenance requirements would there be conversion to fat.
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    Excess calories can be stored as fat. But too much protein??? The Atkins Diet would not work than. Those people always go way over their protein needs. I personally go over on purpose, because protein keeps me longer full than carbs and according to my fatscale I keep losing fat.