disheartened--how do you stay on track?

Options
I used MFP like 2 years ago with great success. I was proud of the progress I was making. It lasted for something like 6 months before I went abroad. When I went abroad, I decided I wanted to give it a rest so I could focus on school and the experience. Bad idea.

2 years later I'm at my highest adult weight at 231 lb. Stepping on the scale and seeing that number (I was 175 when I took a "break" from MFP in college) was like getting hit in the head with a brick.

So I'm looking for ways to SUSTAIN the change. I've pinpointed a few of the places where I stumble, and I'm going to take care of that today. But I have two questions for you:

1. What sorts of changes did you have to make to remove obstacles from your journey?
2. What sorts of things do you do every day to keep yourself on track?

Replies

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It's all in my mind. I just REALLY want it. I remind myself throughout the day.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    For me the biggest thing was to start weighing everything and using the MFP tools to make better choices. The biggest obstacle was really my mind set. I really resisted the idea of calorie counting for a long time. But tend to do things if they are logical and this is logical. Inescapable logic really. I don't like it. I don't want to do it. But I am seeing results already. As it turns out it is not as bad as I expected it to be. I am actually starting to enjoy meal preparation more because I have to be more mindful about it. Although I do hate that there are even more dishes to wash every day...

I guess for me it came down to deciding that I really wanted to do something about my weight problem more tha I wanted the freedom to just eat whatever and whenever wanted to.

The other thing that really really helps is t be able to use this forum. Talking to other people who have the same struggles and seeing how people overcome them as well as sharing the things I have found helpful. Having that support makes a difference. I don't talk to my friends about this subject so having the community and some "friends" here is a big deal for me.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It's all mind over matter. You just have to consciously decide, multiple times, throughout every single day, "Is this [insert food here] worth putting me over on calories today? Is it worth setting me back by this amount?" Some days, and some foods, those answers will be yes. Some days, and some foods, those answers will be no. The more conscious you are of your behavior, the easier it is to change it.

For instance, today it was worth it for me to have an iced coffee with lunch; it was 200 calories that I wanted to treat myself with. Coworkers offered me donuts... And I decided that the setback from those (cos I can't stop at just one :wink:) wasn't worth it
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think once you get in "the mode" of weighing food and logging, you should make it a habit (or mostly a habit..even now I don't log every single day but then again I don't come on here upset or frustrated when I don't lose or pick up a half pound...lol..I know what happened! I ate more than I thought I did! LOL)

The last time I lost weight and gained it back was because i stopped being mindful of logging and I definitely stopped weighing myself. I promised myself to weigh in at least 1x a week when I get to maintenance. It's much easier to nip a .5 or 1 lb gain in the bud than it is to have to lose 50 lbs. :wink:
  • powerplaymsu
    powerplaymsu Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My highest adult weight at 44yo was 246.5. I always get really up seeing results. That drives me. I too had great success a few years ago and lost sixty pounds and six inches on the waist. I stopped using the app or really counting cals but continued working out. I gained twenty plus lbs back but not In my pant size. I started using this app again for a cut. I realize how many cals I was eating when I wasn't counting. For me my body does really well on low carb high protein diet. Trying to cut out processed food pop sugar etc. Eating cleaner with mainly fish chicken and vegetables. Lots of salad. Finding a routine and seeing results drives me. Eating for fuel instead of for any other reason is control. Three weeks into the cut and I am 14.1 lbs down. 190.9 today. Pants fit a tad loose but not a size 32 yet.

Get excited, see some results in sticking to your routine.

One last thought is accountability. You are always accountable to yourself but if you have a person or two that may drive you. I am accountability partners with three guys right now. One I am doing the cut with, another is doing his own thing but checking in with me and the last I got him started in the gym. Today is his third day and I can tell you I am so proud of him working hard as he is.
  • tbiedermann101
    tbiedermann101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Julia, I definitely do not have all the answers. This is the first time I've tried MFP, but I've been to Weight Watchers at least 5 times and have tried many other things like working with a personal health consultant. Whenever I've been the most successful, I've had a clear vision of what I wanted and I repeat to myself how I CAN achieve that goal. I have some visualization tools that I use when I'm feeling weak.

For me, I visualize my hiking poles or hiking boots. I LOVE backpacking and hiking. I visualize myself doing really hard hikes and looking like I belong on the trail. For every ounce I lose, it's like I invested in the newest high-tech gear that is lighter than my current version. I watch adventure movies while I exercise, think Wild, and imagine myself on the trail, hiking alongside the stars. If I feel like I might slip, I go look at new gear, compare it to what I have, then I think about how I can save that much weight just by staying on track.

You need to find that "thing" that motivates you. For most people "being healthy" isn't enough. When you find that "thing", you need to think about it, visualize it, and create a connection to it.

I can't tell you what a HUGE difference this makes for me. Instead of feeling deprived because I can't sit down and eat an entire bag of chips, I feel like I'm choosing something I love even more. I'm aligning my day-to-day choices with what I love to do most.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Julia, I definitely do not have all the answers. This is the first time I've tried MFP, but I've been to Weight Watchers at least 5 times and have tried many other things like working with a personal health consultant. Whenever I've been the most successful, I've had a clear vision of what I wanted and I repeat to myself how I CAN achieve that goal. I have some visualization tools that I use when I'm feeling weak.

For me, I visualize my hiking poles or hiking boots. I LOVE backpacking and hiking. I visualize myself doing really hard hikes and looking like I belong on the trail. For every ounce I lose, it's like I invested in the newest high-tech gear that is lighter than my current version. I watch adventure movies while I exercise, think Wild, and imagine myself on the trail, hiking alongside the stars. If I feel like I might slip, I go look at new gear, compare it to what I have, then I think about how I can save that much weight just by staying on track.

You need to find that "thing" that motivates you. For most people "being healthy" isn't enough. When you find that "thing", you need to think about it, visualize it, and create a connection to it.

I can't tell you what a HUGE difference this makes for me. Instead of feeling deprived because I can't sit down and eat an entire bag of chips, I feel like I'm choosing something I love even more. I'm aligning my day-to-day choices with what I love to do most.

Wow...Strong first post.... I wish I could like this one..... Thanks
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have to have a goal I'm working towards or I fall off the wagon.

It could be a fitness goal (running a 5k or 10k), a weight loss goal (using a program like DietBet where I give them money and am forced to weigh in on a monthly basis), or a social goal (like attending a fundraiser or work party in a fancy new dress).

I know I have stronger willpower when I'm less stressed, sleep more, no alcohol, and all that good stuff, but having a goal in mind that I tell myself I HAVE to stay on track for really helps. I think that's also a large part of why weight watchers works for a lot of people (with the weekly weigh ins and accountability). :)
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Like the little engine that could.....I think I can. Or to paraphrase Dory 'Just keep logging, just keep logging....'
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I found a reason to do this that was stronger than my excuses. My daughter will turn 2 in June and I don't want her to struggle with her weight. I don't want her to hide to eat chocolate, I don't want her to eat "no hold barred" like I used to. So when I feel too lazy to work out or when I see a piece of chocolate, I think of her and the influence I have on her. It's still a daily struggle but 8 months in, I've lost 30 lbs!!
    Feel free to add me :)
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Julia, if you figure it out let me know. I started MFP in Jan 2013 at 240. Worked hard to get down to 162 by May 2014. Then *kitten* hit the fan in my life, my diet & exercise plan went off the rails and I gained 40 lbs back. Just restarted 5 weeks ago at 210 lbs and I'm down to 197 as of this morning.

What works best for me is consistency. Staying within my calories. Exercising daily. Cutting WAY back/out on the drinking. Logging everything.

This time, coming back to MFP was MUCH harder. Even though I know what brings me success, I had several false starts. Being successful on MFP alone wasn't enough motivation to get through that first initial few weeks' hurdle of changing habits. And then one of my friends told me about dietbet. I'm doing both simultaneously, and seeing the weight results and meeting the weigh-in goals is doing wonders for my ongoing motivation until the changes become my "new" normal. Being able to breathe again when wearing pants certainly doesn't hurt either. ;)
  • myeclipse81
    myeclipse81 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For me to keep me motivated and keep my mind on loosing weight, I weigh in almost daily. I know most say not to do that because they say this can cause you to get fustrated but for me it's the opposite. I realize that the weight will fluctuate daily due to hormones, fluid intake and retention, etc and that doesn't bother me. For me it works though and worked in the past when I would stay with it. It keeps what I am doing to the forfront of my mind and keeps me more motivated. I don't always log it in on here daily but I keep that on my mind. I also am setting very small goals for myself to meet so that I don't get fustrated with only seeing the big picture that is going to be a ways away.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I gained some weight back. About half. I have three sizes of clothes and shoot for fitting into the middle size. When I am maxing out the largest size (like now), I DO NOT ALLOW MYSELF TO BUY CLOTHES. I stay miserable and motivated until I fit back into my other clothes. LOL. I also go back to logging my food as close to daily as possible, do not buy food I cannot control myself over for my house, shoot for daily exercise, and eat the least amount of processed carbs possible while upping my fruit and veggie intake. It all helps. I also talk about exercise goals with friends and co-workers to keep me accountable. It's hard to get going again and you feel like a failure, but as your efforts pick up, start looking back at the clothes and pics you loved from your weight loss and think - I am headed my way back there again. Good luck!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I made a commitment to 'no excuses' so every day I simply remind myself of that. Whenever I think of skipping exercise - no excuses. Whenever I think of going over on my calories - no excuses. There are simply no excuses, and every day it gets easier.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I plan meals ahead of time, try to get in exercise every chance I get. I also take lots of pics and measurements in order to keep motivated when the scale is being a jerk. :) You have to find our why and make sure you are doing it for you! NO ONE ELSE. Most of all remember that you are worth it!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Accountability, having someone I have to check in with, helps. When I don't see regular progress I go in to a funk. To combat this I regularly review my progress, look for signs of boredom, and change up what I'm doing. I set lots of mini-goals, like the 5K run I'm scheduled for this Saturday. I can't quit because I have a run to prepare for!
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It never ends. You can't take a break. You can't avoid all "naughty" foods for the rest of your life, you have to learn to incorporate them into your regular eating. Unless you get a very physically demanding job you can never stop exercising. I don't mean that you have a dedicated work out each & every day, but you must burn any calories that you eat over your resting amount. It stinks, I have friends that seem to be able to eat anything they want whenever they want, but when I took a real look at their lives they don't eat junk all day long. They don't over eat at every meal & they're constantly active. They've found a natural balance that just eludes me, so I continue to track & exercise & I budget in the treats and occasional junk food, but I'd say I eat 95% healthful, nutritious foods & move my body at least 30 consecutive minutes a day, which I expect to do until the day I die, unless I want to gain everything back.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Something Ive noticed through the years, when Im on MFP I lose weight, when I stop, I gain weight.

Its not necessarily MFP in and of itself..but the tools making me be aware of my goals, and making it a priority..when Im not on MFP, I completely forget about it, and with that, I lapse back into old habits that make me gain weight to begin with. That is a glaring issue for me.

I may or may not be on MFP for the rest of my life (lol) but...I do know that I cant just *forget* that I have a body that Im trying to both take care of and maintain the weight of. I cant ever just decide Ill never step on a scale, only to do it when Im afraid of what the number is. Ill always need to keep myself in check to see where Im at.

Same for food..I may not log my food forever, but I have to be *mindful* of what Im eating, of how much Im eating, to paying attention to my body and not continuing to eat even after Im full because it tastes sooo good, or theres only two bites left I may as well..etc.

So yeah...I guess for me its, not forgetting that I have a body that needs to be tended to...which is so easy to do when other things come up in life, but at some point, it goes from being just a part of me, to yet another problem I need to deal with. And once Ive dealt with the problem of my weight gain, and back to a healthy weight..I would like to be able to just maintain that instead of doing this journey over and over and over again. That is motivation to me.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    For me, it is deciding that there is no "break" from being healthy and fit and active. I can make adjustments and allow myself to be more and less lenient at various times, to enjoy a vacation within reason, etc. But I will never "take a break" from being healthy. I do hope to transition myself off of regular logging some day, but when i do it will not be cold turkey or completely - I may go to logging one day a week to just keep a sense of what a typical day looks like. I am resolved to regularly weigh out portions forever. I am allowed 2 or 3 servings if that is what I want (and it fits of course) but I will never NOT KNOW how many servings I am eating (i.e. a bowl of cereal - what I used to think of as one servings ended up being 3-4 when I finally weighed it... at least now I am aware of it). I plan to weigh myself daily for the rest of my life - it takes all of 2 seconds before I get into the shower (and I have a wifi scale so its logged for me). I check the trend regularly and if it is trending at all up, I am more mindful of food choices for a few days - whether logging or not.

I will never just give it all up and "be myself" again. That never ends well! :)