Moderation shmoderation

Options

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    My daughter constantly amazes me... She can open up a pack of peanut m&m's (her favorite) eat two or three of them, and then neatly fold the top to save the rest for later. She eats everything, all the time...just not all of it at one time.

My daughter is like that too! I don't know where she got it from, but not from me! She went away to college this year and I wasn't too concerned about the "Freshman 15" because she's good at policing herself. The school year is almost over and it turns out I was right not to worry.

• KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I first started my journey I cut out all sugar, literally no sugar. Except from fruits and veggies. After 3 months I slowly added some back in. I made it a goal no sugar because I was an addict. I may still have a hard time every once in a while but compared to what I was it's a miracle. I just don't crave in anymore.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on context. I have bad habits that are engrained around the candy bowl or snacking at work, and I frankly don't find the snacks in question (M&Ms or the like) that special anyway, so for me it's easier not to consider those a possibility, and I try to avoid just taking a bit, since I do end up eating more too often.

But if I include a sweet treat as a planned indulgence in a serving size that I measure out, I'll normally stick with that. Ice cream in the evening immediately after dinner works for me, but I can also plan to have a treat if we are going out somewhere or at my book club (where one of the members brings amazing baked goods) or if I happen to bake something to have at home or if I decide to go to lunch at this place that has lots of small sized high quality chocolates.

IMO, if you eat out of an unlimited supply (like the bag or a big bowl) or just graze all day, lots of us will overeat (not everyone). For me, though, moderation can be facilitated by being somewhat rigid about when I eat and in what form. (And also by having my rule be that I can have it IF, but only if, I don't go over my calories--again, that means it has to be planned in.)

You need to figure out what works for you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Anyone else out there wonder how it is that people can say, "it's ok to have sweets, just so long as it's in moderation."? What?! If I have a doughnut, I want 2. If I grab an m&m from the candy bowl once, you can bet I'll be back around for a 2nd, 3rd and let's be honest, 4th, 5th and 6th. If anyone out there has struggled with this same problem and figured out a cure to this, please please enlighten me. I can't imagine depriving myself of deliciousness forever but I also don't want to go to bed hating myself for one small bite that turned into a weekend long binge. Sincerely, CadburyEgg SugarComa

I used to think about this and its like a mantra/ brainwashing. eating as much as you wnat is nice, but unlimited amounts is nicer. Unfortunately it has consequences. Id rather lose weight. In those circumstances the straegy of not denying and moderating so you cna eat a small amount makes more sense and is a more liveable compromise than going on restriction which cna often break down. Lots of people who have lost and maintain do moderate and really mean it becayse they have mastered porion conrol so its a way of life.

Exercise is a good bit of insurance. Once you start getting results, then that seems like a better option than the 2nd , 3td or 4th doughnut.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It depends what it is for me. Ice cream I won't be satisfied with less than two servings (thanks food scale for letting me know how small a serving is) so I won't eat it unless I have the calories for two servings. Other things I'm ok with just having one and letting it be. Although to be honest, I generally take many trips to the kitchen where I open the cabinet or fridge and have to talk myself out of having more. This is getting easier the more I do it, and I rarely talk myself into extras that I don't have the calories for, but it's a process and I try not to let the small setbacks turn into week long binges the way I would do before.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Lolz. Yes. Something similar to this goes through my head daily. I think the answer is something called "self-control" or "integrity".... whatever that is!!!!!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Anyone else out there wonder how it is that people can say, "it's ok to have sweets, just so long as it's in moderation."? What?! If I have a doughnut, I want 2. If I grab an m&m from the candy bowl once, you can bet I'll be back around for a 2nd, 3rd and let's be honest, 4th, 5th and 6th. If anyone out there has struggled with this same problem and figured out a cure to this, please please enlighten me. I can't imagine depriving myself of deliciousness forever but I also don't want to go to bed hating myself for one small bite that turned into a weekend long binge. Sincerely, CadburyEgg SugarComa
    I remember those days, but they are long gone. I had cut out certain foods for many years until I figured out this thing about moderation. I take package out, weigh portion, log it, put package away, and eat. If I can do it, anyone can. :) I am successful about 90% of the time, which works just fine for me.

This is my story as well. I gave up all my problem foods for a long time. It seemed to reset my taste buds and thinking.

I've recently reintroduced my two worst trigger foods without going back for seconds, thirds... the whole container... like I used to.

• rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    "I punish my body outdoors to atone for my atrocities indoors."-The Oatmeal

I either can force myself to have just one or I force myself to run. I exercise to be able to treat myself to the goodies.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Read it. It's funny. :smiley:

I agree, read it, laugh out loud funny in a couple of spots
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It's not just sweets for me. It's just one more helping of dinner, one more piece of fruit, just a bit more this or that. I had to learn portion control and practice a lot of willpower. It takes time but you will get there.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ziploc bags, snack size.
    Inaccessibility. For instance, top back shelf or bottom of freezer.
    Mindful eating on occasion.

My daughter and I were out on the town last night as only geeks will, and the night included sparkling non-alcoholic wine, good fair trade chocolate, and non-gmo potato chips. I admit some of the chocolate was wolfed down, but I also demonstrated mindfulness (which my daughter thought was hopelessly hippy). I can still recall that melt-in-your-mouth square. The wolfed chocolate not so much. There was no time for it to melt.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am doing forced moderation. If I want a sweet, I buy one. I spend extra to get a single serving pack of something or I go to the bakery and buy one cookie or cupcake or doughnut. I do not have them in the house because I still have not learned how to control my impulses to where I can take 2 Oreos out of a package and leave the rest alone. Portioning and bagging up single portions also does not work. I will go and grab a couple of bags.

Part of the secret is being honest with yourself. If you know you have poor impulse control, keep yourself in a position where you just don't have access. Nothing wrong with admitting where you are not perfect.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I am doing forced moderation. If I want a sweet, I buy one. I spend extra to get a single serving pack of something or I go to the bakery and buy one cookie or cupcake or doughnut. I do not have them in the house because I still have not learned how to control my impulses to where I can take 2 Oreos out of a package and leave the rest alone. Portioning and bagging up single portions also does not work. I will go and grab a couple of bags.

Part of the secret is being honest with yourself. If you know you have poor impulse control, keep yourself in a position where you just don't have access. Nothing wrong with admitting where you are not perfect.

Yep. It may be temporary, it may be permanent. But you'll lose weight while figuring it out :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    When it comes to eating, it's basically habitual. Most people eat the same way they have for a long time and now they are changing it. So the same goes with candy, chocolate, etc. You still apply the same strategy for portion control. It may be harder with those because they are so palatable, but CONTINUED portion control will help to create a new habit.
    Can everyone do it? No. Like everything else in life, some will fight harder and focus more for something than others would. Some will take the candy and treats over losing a few pounds. And vice versa. This basically applies to just about anything. Dance, working out, going to school, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm often in a battle with myself - one part of me wants, one part doesn't. I often have a lust for, but I seldom really want to, eat unplanned higher-calorie/lower-nutrient foods. Sometimes I give in, but most of the times I don't. It gets easier with practice and habits, good nutrition overall, knowing and accepting how my brain works, and by not leaving temptations around. Oh, important... when I do give in, I make noe fuss about it, except for the fact that I call it "giving in".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yup. And often, it's not worth it. I very often choose not to eat some of those foods. (For me it's mostly salt chips and what not, these days, my craving for sweets went away after I went cold turkey off sweets for a few weeks many many years ago).

NOT doing moderation (as defined by MFP users) is a totally valid choice.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,751 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Log it Consider what other food you will have to give up that day
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    if you log that extra doughnut what will your next meal be like, is it worth it
    There's your answer ...is it worth it
    This is me. My calorie goal is a given. How to stay under it is up to me. Is it worth it, considering you'll have to get rid of something else you were planning on having? That's the real question that leads to learning moderation.

And when you're able to do that consistently, you're in your MFP happy place :smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Yep. It may be temporary, it may be permanent. But you'll lose weight while figuring it out :)

There are a few things I am better at. I now am able to keep peanut butter and almonds in my car. They are there when I need or really want them, but not available for the mindless eating I have been known to do, especially at night. I live on the second floor and park in underground parking. I am not going to run down 2 flights of stairs in my pj's to get the bag of almonds. Eventually I hope to be able to keep them in the house. Baby steps.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

There are a few things I am better at. I now am able to keep peanut butter and almonds in my car. They are there when I need or really want them, but not available for the mindless eating I have been known to do, especially at night. I live on the second floor and park in underground parking. I am not going to run down 2 flights of stairs in my pj's to get the bag of almonds. Eventually I hope to be able to keep them in the house. Baby steps.
    Heh. I'll have to remember that next winter and store icecream in the car overnight haha.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm a moderation fan but I've had issues in the past. If you look at my diary, you can see that I still occasionally struggle. It's okay to struggle and fail from time to time. It's the quitting, the throwing in the towel and proclaiming, "It's just too hard!" that I will never do.

Maybe try to adopt a mindset similar to that and it will all seem less daunting.
  • Galvin87
    Galvin87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I get a sweet tooth I eat some sugar free gum to fight it, at times this doesn't work so I eat some fruit and I'm good. Or I just have a small piece of candy just to satisfy my sweet tooth.

@KeepItSimpleGirl GO HAWKS! Lol!

-galvin