Healthy on a budget - so?

Options
kommodevaran
kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
(The last thread I started went great, let's have some more fun :p )

I've seen so many of these posts.

Are peoples's income suddenly lowered at the same time the need for "healthy eating" arose?

Eating less food should cost less. Doing the work yourself should save you money. Look at what you really get for your money, not just what it looks like you are getting.

Is it a subconscious feeling that you shouldn't have to pay the same for disgusting, healthy food, as for delicious, yummy, bad food?

My advice is: learn to shop and to cook and don't be adraid of natural ingredients - you can have the best of both worlds :)

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i think people sometimes don't realize how far healthy food goes. a big bag of chips ya is a dollar. but some people can eat that in one sitting. a big bag of carrots is probably 3 dollars....but i dare someone to eat that in one sitting! someone on here had compared a bag of oranges for 6 to a container of sherbet or 2.50. well are u really going to eat that bag of oranges in one day? i know my dad can eat a container of ice cream in one or two! plus people honestly dont realize just because it has the name raspberry sherbet....there is actually no health benefit to that sherbet if u are replacing oranges with it!
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Love this! I personally haven't seen much change in my grocery bill since buying primarily healthy foods, but I sure as hell have seen them other places (the scale, my measurements, etc). I think it's mostly the thought of having to cook all that food (and if you're anything like me, you forget you bought this or that and wind up throwing it away when it goes bad) really though, you do get so much more bang for your buck. Eat cheap, and you'll feel cheap...

I can understand if someone's counting the differences between Meijer, and say a "health-food" store, like Horrock's. Our Horrock's is pretty comparable to the big-store prices, but their produce especially looks and tastes better, and lasts nearly twice as long. So I'm willing to pay a little more for that. But yeah, if all you're eating is shite food, you're going to likely eat a lot of it. Because it provides little to no nutritional value, so you're hungry faster...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone should choke down food they hate for the supposed "health benefits". Eat what you like, only less. Should save some cash that way.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Fresh vegetables can be expensive especially if they are out of season. I try to buy what's in season, but frozen when necessary, hit up farm markets and farm stands when they're open and grow a vegetable garden in the summer. I realize that last one's not possible for everyone, but it's great if you can. Eating healthy can also save you money on medical bills in the long run because people who eat healthy are less likely to develop high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol and other illnesses as well (genetics aside).
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It can be a challenge. For me it's not the carrots versus the chips. It's the box of macaroni and cheese versus a homemade veggie filled pasta dish. Especially since there's one of me to cook for, it can get espensive to try new healthy meals especially when recipes call for fresh produce or lots of seasonings I haven't bought yet. I know seasonings last a long time, but that initial hit to the pocketbook can hurt.

I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing my understanding of what people mean when they talk about health eating being more expensive. I'm making it work by buying giant bags of frozen fruit and veggies (spaced out) that last forever (seriously, still haven't run out of pineapple that I bought last summer), cutting out a lot of snack food, and cooking crockpot meals that use a lot of canned foods (tomatoes, beans, etc.) in bulk for use as left overs.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    It can be a challenge. For me it's not the carrots versus the chips. It's the box of macaroni and cheese versus a homemade veggie filled pasta dish. Especially since there's one of me to cook for, it can get espensive to try new healthy meals especially when recipes call for fresh produce or lots of seasonings I haven't bought yet. I know seasonings last a long time, but that initial hit to the pocketbook can hurt.

I'm not complaining, I'm just pointing my understanding of what people mean when they talk about health eating being more expensive. I'm making it work by buying giant bags of frozen fruit and veggies (spaced out) that last forever (seriously, still haven't run out of pineapple that I bought last summer), cutting out a lot of snack food, and cooking crockpot meals that use a lot of canned foods (tomatoes, beans, etc.) in bulk for use as left overs.

Your points are central in the debate. What you are describing, is not the cost of healthy vs unhealthy, but

1) Fancy food vs plain food, and I would assume that fancy food is most expensive. (Most ingredients can be substituted. Or make something simpler...! Still healthy! The price of fruit and vegetables, maybe even some meat, I think - vary with season.)

2) Cooking for one, you have to be extra careful about perishable foods. (I cook for just me, and I almost never have to throw away out anything. I rarely buy lettuce, fresh spinach, etc, instead I eat a lot of raw broccoli, carrots, cucumber, etc, and I cook just the right amount, for 1 or 2 dinners, or maybe planned leftovers).

3) Buying everything at once will be expensive, but when you have the stock, it will last for a long while. (A 4 pounds bag of rice will last me for 9 months...!)

What I'm trying to say is that eating healthy takes flexibility, experience, planning and thinking ahead. That's not exactly today's buzzwords...! But for me it means peace of mind and a healthier body. I prefer that to the (perceived) convenience of premade foods. And I find I can eat a lot better and more varied when I do the cooking, not just cheaper.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Healthy food means different things to different people. The eggs at the farmers market I went to yesterday were $5. per dozen. I'm sure they were very good eggs and the lady told me about their living conditions and the pedigree of the rooster but I'm still going buy the eggs at Kroger for about $1.99 even though it's a shame the way those chickens are treated and I hate the overuse of antibiotics.

Same with organic produce. If money was no object I'd buy nothing but organic. But $'s are an object so I buy organic when the price is the same. Sometimes when it's a little more but I can't pay two, three or four times as much for it.

Speaking of antibiotics in chicken. There is a Mediterranean market I go to sometimes. The owner, all his employees and most of his customers are Muslim. I pay a little more for chicken there than I would at Kroger because his chicken isn't injected with water to increase the weight and I I can't swear to it, but I think that they aren't given antibiotics. I mentioned they are Muslim for a couple of reasons. One is there are Islamic dietary laws that they must comply with to retain their customers. Kinda like kosher but it's called halal. I'm not Muslim and sure no expert on halal but because this guy has been in business in the same place for a very long time and has a loyal following, I have a level of trust. I don't cook lamb or mutton but mean to start and he will be who I buy it from.

The other thing is this is definitely an ethnic market and locally owned Markets, specializing in and catering to immigrant tastes and cuisines, are a great way to save money while expanding your culinary horizons and increasing the quality of your groceries. I shop at the Mediterranean Grocery (honestly I'd call it more middle eastern), as well as two good Mexican and one Chinese Market. There is a pretty good chance you're in a good ethnic market if you are the only one speaking English. Hopefully you're not the only one who can speak it though.

I like this topic and will follow the discussion. If there aren't too many complaints about this one I'll post more.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    The eggs at the farmers market I went to yesterday were $5. per dozen. I'm sure they were very good eggs and the lady told me about their living conditions and the pedigree of the rooster...

That's some special rooster...

:drinker:
  • OldHobo
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    That's some special rooster...
    :drinker:
    Actually there were three vendors selling eggs and they were all $5/doz. One of them also had duck eggs for $4. Was tempted to buy the duck eggs. Sorry I didn't.

The Chinese market I mentioned regularly sell quail eggs. Haven't tried them yet. Hope to someday.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I've had quail eggs. A delicacy :) Light blue inside of shells.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Healthy food means different things to different people. The eggs at the farmers market I went to yesterday were $5. per dozen. I'm sure they were very good eggs and the lady told me about their living conditions and the pedigree of the rooster but I'm still going buy the eggs at Kroger for about $1.99 even though it's a shame the way those chickens are treated and I hate the overuse of antibiotics.

Same with organic produce. If money was no object I'd buy nothing but organic. But $'s are an object so I buy organic when the price is the same. Sometimes when it's a little more but I can't pay two, three or four times as much for it.

Speaking of antibiotics in chicken. There is a Mediterranean market I go to sometimes. The owner, all his employees and most of his customers are Muslim. I pay a little more for chicken there than I would at Kroger because his chicken isn't injected with water to increase the weight and I I can't swear to it, but I think that they aren't given antibiotics. I mentioned they are Muslim for a couple of reasons. One is there are Islamic dietary laws that they must comply with to retain their customers. Kinda like kosher but it's called halal. I'm not Muslim and sure no expert on halal but because this guy has been in business in the same place for a very long time and has a loyal following, I have a level of trust. I don't cook lamb or mutton but mean to start and he will be who I buy it from.

The other thing is this is definitely an ethnic market and locally owned Markets, specializing in and catering to immigrant tastes and cuisines, are a great way to save money while expanding your culinary horizons and increasing the quality of your groceries. I shop at the Mediterranean Grocery (honestly I'd call it more middle eastern), as well as two good Mexican and one Chinese Market. There is a pretty good chance you're in a good ethnic market if you are the only one speaking English. Hopefully you're not the only one who can speak it though.

I like this topic and will follow the discussion. If there aren't too many complaints about this one I'll post more.

This is awesome. I wish we had ethnic grocery stores here. But we don't.
    I love international food, so I I've shopping at Whole Foods and it is very, very expensive.

Some things are expensive, but they are not a "must" when it comes to eating better: Organic Produce, fresh fish, a well stocked pantry, a collection of herbs and spices to have on hand. All of these things make it easier for me to stay on track. So it is worth it for me to buy them.
    But, for example, if we only had one income, I wouldn't be able to afford it.

I guess I'm like a child in that if my food (or working out, for that matter) is not exciting for me, then I revert to my old habits: gluttony & sloth.

**hangs head in shame** but it's the truth.

• OldHobo
    Options
    I've had quail eggs. A delicacy :) Light blue inside of shells.
    I looked inside the carton and these were blue on the outside.
    Hey kommodervaran, after my first post here I looked at your profile. You're from Oslo, OS? I've heard of Oslo Norway. Is it the same place?
    I've never seen a Norwegian or Scandinavian ethnic market. Maybe they have them in Minnesota or maybe there aren't enough non-assimilated immigrants to support such stores.
    I met a young Norwegian on a Memphis bus a few years ago but she was a tourist.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    <snip>

YES to ethnic markets! Of course, not all areas will have these. But if you do, and haven't ever visited (Asian, Hispanic/Latino, Middle Eastern/halal, etc.), I urge you to check it out. So many good things (and things you never knew existed) are available, usually at considerable cost savings (10 lb bag of beans for $5? Yes, please!). Or even if not a cost savings, get to know the owners, you may be amazed at the level of integrity and pride in which they have for their store and the products they sell.

ETA: Oh yes. Do not be scared if you don't HEAR any local language spoken. There is always someone there who DOES speak it--just not when speaking to their family, coworker, etc. I've never been in a market in which I could not conduct business in English. And the local Mexi-Mart appreciates my (failed) attempts at Spanish, LOL.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I guess it is up to ones relative perception of healthy. I live in a market inundated by drug money and it is trendy for the weed growers to shop at the natural and health food stores. At these stores they pay around 5$ a lb. for chicken breasts and hamburger up to 21$ a pound for porterhouse. I can shop at a major grocery store for far less. Mainly eating"healthy " for me has meant avoiding fast food and that actually has helped me save quite a bit as three McMeals a day is expensive.
  • OldHobo
    Options
    I've lived in Northern Ca., So. Ca., Nevada, Utah, Texas, South Fl., Central Fl. and Tennessee and I've never seen a place with no ethnic markets. Sure there are neighborhoods and maybe even towns without them but I've never been where there weren't any in the area. I've only lived in the south and west and maybe it's different in the Midwest or elsewhere but, just for the heck of it, if you think there aren't ethnic markets in your area, ask your gardener where his wife shops.

If it isn't an ethnic market it might be a grocery store that caters to folks on a lower income. Some of those stores are awful! But some are good places to know your way around. The ones that respect their customers usually have produce, meats and other items that aren't stocked by regular super markets or are stocked but treated like something exotic and priced outrageously.

For example maybe you happened on a TV show where some celebrity chef was making osso buco and you wanted to try it. So you go down to Kroger and ask for veal shanks like the guy on the TV said. If you're persistent enough when the guy stocking the meat case tells you they don't have them, he'll go get his boss. And if you're lucky enough that the guy who does the ordering is working at that time, he'll tell you they have to special order them and if you're just plain real lucky he might give you a price of $20 to $30 per pound.

If go to a place like Montessi's Supermarket, or SuperLo Foods and ask he'll probably tell you that he doesn't stock veal shanks because they're too expensive but he can special order them but he does have regular beef shanks about $5 bucks a pound. And you take 'em home and cook 'em just like the guy on TV except maybe just a little longer 'cause that's what the butcher suggested and they are wonderful.

Also, in the unlikely circumstance that there really are no ethnic markets in the area the store that respectfully caters to food stamp customers will also most likely stock the products that new immigrants want.

Things might be very different at stores like Whole Foods. I don't know because I don't shop there.

Come to think of it. If you shop at Whole Foods you'd probably just pay $30 per pound for the veal shanks they have all the time.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I shop at Costco, and look for deals and sales. Today, 8 pack of organic Kirkland black bean soup, on sale, $6.97. That is less than a $1.00 a meal for lunch. I bought 2 packs.

A rotisserie chicken lasts me a week of dinners. I also use the bones for broth.

Mushrooms, $3.97 for 24 ounces! Blackberries were the splurge item for the day, $5.00, that will last me a week of breakfasts with yogurt.

So, $50 bought me food for about two weeks today. That includes a chicken, six cans of wild salmon, 36 eggs, red peppers, lettuce, and feta cheese.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy on a budget can be done with discipline and planning. I'm doing a challenge (thank my husband). Eating healthy for 5 days (M-F) on $12-$17 only. I have the foods posted on IG, receipts and pics on FB/IG. Logging in my diary this week, but you can't see the pics of the foods on MFP. If anyone wants to follow.

The greatest challenge I saw so far was that it took more time than most people are willing to invest because you have to cook and get creative so you're not eating the same thing everyday. Which I'm use to with meal prepping but my husband challenged me to do this without eating the same thing everyday and without adding anymore than the 9 ingredients I purchased for $16.97.

Where there's a will there's a way!

• MelissaMcknight2015
    Options
    i think people sometimes don't realize how far healthy food goes. a big bag of chips ya is a dollar. but some people can eat that in one sitting. a big bag of carrots is probably 3 dollars....but i dare someone to eat that in one sitting! someone on here had compared a bag of oranges for 6 to a container of sherbet or 2.50. well are u really going to eat that bag of oranges in one day? i know my dad can eat a container of ice cream in one or two! plus people honestly dont realize just because it has the name raspberry sherbet....there is actually no health benefit to that sherbet if u are replacing oranges with it!
    I can eat a bag of oranges in one day they are my favorite
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10037702/affording-your-new-lifestyle-tips-and-tricks-for-the-grocery-store/p1

I did a thread on this a while back. I've found that couponing for staple items (like my snacks, sauces, pasta, ect) saves me money to afford the produce and meat I like to have on hand in my fridge. I spend a very reasonable amount at the store each month; I have access to "cheaper" grocery stores, and am not shopping in a more metropolitan area, though.

I can understand if someone is shopping for a family, it may be more difficult. But it's really easy to find balance with what you want to buy (ice cream, chips, ect...I don't view those as "bad"), and fresh produce/meat without breaking the bank. It just takes a lot of practice, learning sale cycles, and buying bulk when you can.
  • insideoutgirl
    insideoutgirl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi.for produce!! It is so inexpensive and they even have organic. Once I got over the rented cart thing - I love that place!